Itching to buy an amp!
Jun 6, 2008 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Tull1996

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone

I "need" an amp! I've never had a dedicated HEADPHONE amp (I have a pretty decent two channel setup using separates....amp for mains, amp for stereo subs) good pre, decent CD player.....NONE have jacks.

Also have a computer setup. Currently coming from x-fi onboard sound out to a 20ish year old Realistic receiver (not the best...but it was lying around)...I'm using a pair of Mordaunt-Short 902i's, as well as a pair of Grado SR-80s out of that. I'm a big fan of the Grado sound.(That info might be important)....my entire cd collection has been ripped to wav files on the computer.

The amp would likely be used for both setups.

I like lots of detail and accuracy in the music.

So...stick with solid state? Or step outside my safety box and go with tubes?

As I've been searching around, I came across Little Dot amps....they have a few versions of a tube amp, and one solid state. They seem to have gotten good reviews, both for the amp and for service. Also, the price isn't too bad on any of them (Shipping seems a bit high, but...hey, what can you do?)

I also came across Woo Audio....a little more expensive than the Little Dots, but look nice, as well. Found a brand...Darkvoice on Ebay....

Any opinions on these? Are they decent? Any other suggestions? I don't want to spend a bunch.....would LOVE to keep it to less than $500.

Based on my needs/tastes....what do ya all think? All advice welcome (I WOULD like to know some opinions on the Little Dot...sound, build, QC, etc, from people who have used them)

Thanks, all

Jun 7, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tull1996 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone

I "need" an amp! I've never had a dedicated HEADPHONE amp (I have a pretty decent two channel setup using separates....amp for mains, amp for stereo subs) good pre, decent CD player.....NONE have jacks.

Also have a computer setup. Currently coming from x-fi onboard sound out to a 20ish year old Realistic receiver (not the best...but it was lying around)...I'm using a pair of Mordaunt-Short 902i's, as well as a pair of Grado SR-80s out of that. I'm a big fan of the Grado sound.(That info might be important)....my entire cd collection has been ripped to wav files on the computer.

As I've been searching around, I came across Little Dot amps....they have a few versions of a tube amp, and one solid state. They seem to have gotten good reviews, both for the amp and for service. Also, the price isn't too bad on any of them (Shipping seems a bit high, but...hey, what can you do?)

I also came across Woo Audio....a little more expensive than the Little Dots, but look nice, as well. Found a brand...Darkvoice on Ebay....

Any opinions on these? Are they decent? Any other suggestions? I don't want to spend a bunch.....would LOVE to keep it to less than $500.

Based on my needs/tastes....what do ya all think? All advice welcome (I WOULD like to know some opinions on the Little Dot...sound, build, QC, etc, from people who have used them)

Thanks, all

The Predator - Ray Samuels Audio

The predator will do nicely with your computer setup as you dont really have a decent source (Computer Audio Cards Suck) and its portable so you can switch rigs with great ease. Much nicer than the Ibasso stuff IMO. Its also in your price range. Also one of the little dot amps plus a nice Dac would work well also. Tube or SS, its up to you. Here is a Dac that looks nice and has positive reviews here on Head-Fi.

KECES DA-151, USB DAC never sounded so good on computer - eBay (item 160245231651 end time Jun-07-08 05:28:41 PDT)

Jun 7, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #4 of 25
I don't think you should get a DAC/Amp combo if you already have a decent CDP. You should go straight for a solid amplifier like a Gilmore Lite w/DPS, or DIY options like PPAv2 and M^3 (these are all solid-state). A SOHA amp with JISBOS is a nice tube-buffered headphone amp that will definitely fit in your budget. At that point if you choose to upgrade your source or your headphones (which you should), your amplifier will not be the limiting factor in sound quality. You will be able to appreciate later upgrades much more if you start out with a very good amp.

Unless you really need it to be portable, you should probably stay away from battery-powered amps with opamp outputs, because you will pay a price for portability while sacrificing power output and ultimate sound quality.

Jun 7, 2008 at 8:59 AM Post #5 of 25
Look at the used amps in the For Sale Forum. And try tubes; they're a lot of fun and sound great. If anything about them concerns you, speak up.

Jun 7, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #6 of 25
Hi again, all!

Thank you for all the advice thus far....to clue you in a bit more to where I'm at in my thought process...

First...wow....I haven't even HEARD of most of these brands! There are a LOT of them out there! (It'd be easier if there were maybe...three or four
wink.gif
)

All the ideas have been great...BUT

For me, portability is of practically zero importance. In fact I'd like something with a little "heft" to it, so that if I'm across the room and turn my head, the amp won't come flying off the shelf!
smily_headphones1.gif

After reading a number of posts...a DAC may be in the mix...but, later on. First I want to get a decent amp. (Although, I admit, I'm intrigued by the relatively low cost Keces, and the even cheaper Zero)...The DAC would be strictly for the computer. If I get the Cambridge Audio 740C or 840C, I'm told the DACs are quite nice in those so the "bargain" DAC wouldn't be used for that sytem.

As for concerns about tubes....well...(and remember..this is from someone who has NEVER owned tube gear)....Tube stuff seems to have issues such as microphonics, background noise, MUCH higher distortion figures and specs than solid state, (allegedly) more coloration, rolled off highs, etc etc etc...

Again....this is what I've READ or been TOLD....so...for you tube folks out there...put the rocks and clubs away...I mean no disrespect!!
wink.gif

I like accuracy and detail....is this something I will NOT get with tubes? (and yes, I know that not all solid state amps are completely accurate and detailed...I'm a newbie to headphone amps...not stereo gear in general
smily_headphones1.gif
)

But, again...I'm not ruling out a tube amp....

Hope this helps a bit

Oh...and yes....I wouldn't mind upgrading the headphones...I have considered the Grado 325i's.....and would certainly consider other brands...as long as they aren't "dark sounding"...but....that's also in the future..

Jun 7, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Hi everyone

Thanks, all

Hehehe
smily_headphones1.gif
Well, I've got some Little-Dots.
smily_headphones1.gif

Since this is your first headphone amp, I'd recommend getting a new one, with a warranty and great customer service behind it. Buying new will also prevent paying money to "inherit someone else's problems". After a new purchase, there are always questions and some questions are better answered by the manufacturer's customer service.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the Little-Dot MKIII would be an excellent choice. It has a fantastic track record here, great build quality, and a sizable following. With it's great looks and excellent price point, it makes a "first time" headphone amp, into a real "keeper". DavidZ at Little-Dot handles the customer service end of things, and he is excellent to the folks here at HeadFi.

There is a ton of tube-rolling information on the MKIII, over in the "MKIII tube rolling thread". There are quite a few MKIII owners who use Grados, so they can answer specific questions when you have them.

If you decide that tubes are not for you, the MKV is an excellent SS headphone amp and worth your attention for sure. Check the review thread for owner impressions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Have a good one!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 7, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #10 of 25
Thanks Penchum.....

Another question....looking at the III as you suggested, and the IV.....what am I getting (in real world terminology) for the extra hundred dollars on the IV, and would it be worth the jump? Or are we talking subtle differences, here?

Jun 7, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Thanks Penchum.....

Another question....looking at the III as you suggested, and the IV.....what am I getting (in real world terminology) for the extra hundred dollars on the IV, and would it be worth the jump? Or are we talking subtle differences, here?

You would be going from a transformer coupled amp, to an OTL designed amp (better frequency response, lower distortion), with more power for dynamics, better specs, better components and better looks (some think). It has a much larger footprint also. It uses a better family of power tube, and it also shares the same driver tube possibilities as the MKII & MKIII, which is cool. I really like the tube guards as well. It is funny how they give me piece of mind while I'm stumbling around.
smily_headphones1.gif

I consider the MKIII to be the "sweet spot" when funding is an issue. If funding isn't an issue, then the MKIV is worth every cent.
smily_headphones1.gif
This all is assuming that you are buying an amp you will want to keep. You can try out tubes with the MKII at a very low cost.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #13 of 25
If money isn't an issue, you'd be better off with a Ray Samuels Audio or Singlepower Audio amp. Ray Samuels does both tubes and solid state, while Singlepower is pretty much all tubed. Both companies are here in the U.S. and don't sacrifice at all when it comes to parts.

Jun 8, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by m3_arun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think you should get a DAC/Amp combo if you already have a decent CDP. You should go straight for a solid amplifier like a Gilmore Lite w/DPS, or DIY options like PPAv2 and M^3 (these are all solid-state). A SOHA amp with JISBOS is a nice tube-buffered headphone amp that will definitely fit in your budget. At that point if you choose to upgrade your source or your headphones (which you should), your amplifier will not be the limiting factor in sound quality. You will be able to appreciate later upgrades much more if you start out with a very good amp.

Unless you really need it to be portable, you should probably stay away from battery-powered amps with opamp outputs, because you will pay a price for portability while sacrificing power output and ultimate sound quality.

Tell us all how you will use your ripped material and your computer as a source without a good D/A converter? Also, if you like the Grado sound I beleive the Eddie Current EC\SS amp was designed with Grados in mind and its not super expensive.

ECSS

Jun 8, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonFreeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell us all how you will use your ripped material and your computer as a source without a good D/A converter? Also, if you like the Grado sound I beleive the Eddie Current EC\SS amp was designed with Grados in mind and its not super expensive.

ECSS

OP wants to use an amp with two setups, one source being the CDP and the other being the X-fi on his comp. I use my CKKIII with Alessandro MS1 to great success, but if I had more money when I bought it I would have gotten a PPAv2.

You can always do a source upgrade later on, it seems like the OP has more need for a high quality amp than a new source right now, assuming that at least ONE of the two sources has decent sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back