Itchiness in ears caused by IEM tips?
Oct 19, 2009 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

dj nellie

500+ Head-Fier
So I know this gets referenced occasionally, but I'm starting to wonder whether my ears are especially sensitive to the materials used for IEM tips. With every tip I've used except for the Shure black foam olives, I get itchy irritation inside my ears upon extended listening. The Shure black foamies are almost itch-free for me, but I think the sound is noticeably worse than the Complys or silicones.

Comply foams, yellow foams, and all silicone tips (even my custom Westone UM-56) cause varying degrees of itchiness after about 30-40 mins of listening. I have to rub the earpiece into my ear to relieve some of the itch, which can't be good for either my ears or the IEM. My left ear seems especially sensitive--I have to take the IEM out of my ear at least every other hour to give it a break.

My questions: How many of you experience this degree of irritation? Are there any solutions? I'm starting to wonder whether I have to resign myself to listening to goofy over-the-ear headphones in public, which would be a shame because I love the isolation and sound of my IEMs (I currently own the Westone 3s and Shure SE530s). The itchiness occurs with new and used tips, and I wash my tips with soap and water at least once a week.

Oct 19, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 28
Can't say if my ears get especially itchy after long IEM use, but I do occasionally have to scratch my ear- I do that often even without using IEM, bad habbit.
But I am surprised that you said Shure black foams sound worse than Comply. Most people here says the opposite, from what I've read.

Oct 19, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't say if my ears get especially itchy after long IEM use, but I do occasionally have to scratch my ear- I do that often even without using IEM, bad habbit.
But I am surprised that you said Shure black foams sound worse than Comply. Most people here says the opposite, from what I've read.

Yeah, I never liked the Complys (T-100) with the SE530s--it sounded like I was in a cave. The sound was too muffled and distant. But with the W3s, the synergy with the P-series Complys is much better somehow. On the other hand, the black foams sound decent on the SE530s to me but pretty bad on the W3s. The grey soft-flex silicon tips sound 2nd best to me on the W3s, and don't itch quite as much.

I don't think my ears are especially dry, in fact my UM-56 tips are a little moist when I pull them out. I just read a post from a Jays employee that said daily cleaning with q-tips pushes in dirt and wax. I'm wondering if this may be part of the cause of the irritation. But it doesn't explain why some tips (foams) seem to itch way more than others.

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #6 of 28
I don't get an itch, but IEMs become incredibly uncomfortable for me after twenty minutes or so. I think my ears are just sensitive to the pressure exerted by the tips. It's the same kind of feeling you get when wearing a watch on a warm day and the band starts to feel all clammy on your skin.

Oct 20, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #8 of 28
I also feel some degree of burning when using the silicon tips that came with my CK10 and up to now I have not been able to replace them, they sound much better than anything else.

I have partially solved the problem by washing them with antibacterial soap daily. This gives a longer comfort period.

Oct 20, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by TLY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use anti-bacterial wipes. (the ones for your face/skin, not the surface ones) My ears haven't itched so far.

What brand? And do you wipe the tips off as well?

Oct 20, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #10 of 28
You must be careful with your ears, keep the most clean possible your headphones. When i bought some silicone earbuds, it solved my problem.
dt880smile.png

Oct 20, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj nellie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I know this gets referenced occasionally, but I'm starting to wonder whether my ears are especially sensitive to the materials used for IEM tips. With every tip I've used except for the Shure black foam olives, I get itchy irritation inside my ears upon extended listening. The Shure black foamies are almost itch-free for me, but I think the sound is noticeably worse than the Complys or silicones.

Comply foams, yellow foams, and all silicone tips (even my custom Westone UM-56) cause varying degrees of itchiness after about 30-40 mins of listening. I have to rub the earpiece into my ear to relieve some of the itch, which can't be good for either my ears or the IEM. My left ear seems especially sensitive--I have to take the IEM out of my ear at least every other hour to give it a break.

My questions: How many of you experience this degree of irritation? Are there any solutions? I'm starting to wonder whether I have to resign myself to listening to goofy over-the-ear headphones in public, which would be a shame because I love the isolation and sound of my IEMs (I currently own the Westone 3s and Shure SE530s). The itchiness occurs with new and used tips, and I wash my tips with soap and water at least once a week.

Wow i have the exact same problem you do,
except i don't think i can change out my klipsch s4's tips with anything good enough
i'm still not giving up IEM's !!
ph34r.gif
ph34r.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #12 of 28
I guess I'm lucky to never have problems, I always just use the silicon tips that come with my phones too.

Oct 21, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #14 of 28
Oct 21, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #15 of 28
moisturize your ears. use some lotion for a week and see if there's any difference. also, you might try cleaning out your ears from wax and dead skin (it accumulates). it may be that the tips are pressing something into your skin which is irritating it.

The problem in my case was dry skin. a tad bit of lotion every once in a while and i haven't had much of an itchy issue since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back