Isone Pro - the best thing you could ever get for your headphones on your computer
May 2, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #316 of 963

i mix with headphones all the time, it always sounds good on speakers later, you just have to keep in mind that headphones are exagerrated when it comes to stereo imaging otherwise you end up with and incredibly narrow soundstage on speakers.
Quote:
I suspect that some of you like the severe stereo imaging of headphones and have grown accustomed to it, thus when listening to a more neutral and accurate representation of the same musical material, you actually think it's colored and the traditional headphone representation is "more accurate and dynamic." I don't know how many of you know this, but professional mixing and mastering engineers avoid working with headphones because it has a very unnatural stereo imaging with severe left and right channel splits, and its proximity is too close to the ears for a dimensional sound that's natural. What Isone Pro does, is to simply make your headphones sound like speakers in an acoustically ideal room, so it's no longer unnatural sounding. It's the other way around than what some of you think. It might be that you guys need a bit of deprogramming from having gotten too used to the unnatural representation of headphones, sort of like how some people who grew up with the very colored hi-fi sound all their lives listens to neutral and accurate sonic signature for the first time and prefers the colored consumer hi-fi sound instead. They'll need to let their brains and ears get used to the more neutral and accurate representation, and once they do, they go back and listen to that consumer hi-fi sound again, and they'll be able to hear all the flaws they couldn't before.

It's a gross misunderstanding to think that Isone Pro introduces "room modes." Isone Pro does not introduce room modes at all. What it simulates is the IDEAL acoustics of the Perfect room, meaning there are NO room modes. If you're unsure what room mode means, you should look it up. Room modes means there are anomalies and coloration due to sound wave build-ups in the room. Isone Pro does not try to introduce imperfections--it does the opposite, which is like an anechoic chamber, and has no room modes.

May 2, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #317 of 963

Quote:
I think it needs to be clarified that Isone Pro isn't "messing" with the frequency response. The change in frequency response is necessary in order for the effect to sound realistic--it's part of the HTRF feature. See, when you listen to speakers in a room, the way the sound waves interact with your head and ears will alter how the audio sounds than if you didn't have a head or ears. In other words, the shape of your head and ears will change how the audio sounds.

If you do this experiment, you'll see what I mean. Listen to anything, and then cup your hands behind your ears at an angle. Hear the immediate change in the frequency response? That's basically what your ears are doing, and in conjunction to the size/shape of your head, they change how the audio sounds. It is this very thing that Isone Pro emulates with its HTRF (Head Related Tranfers Functions) feature. When you listen to headphones, because the drivers are coming from the side and not from the front, there's no HTRF happening, thus the audio will not sound like a realistic emulation of speakers in front of you. Isone Pro reintroduces that back into the signal chain.

I have done experiments where I counter Isone Pro's alteration of the frequency response with an EQ, so that everything's perfect flat again, and you know what happened? The realism of the effect was destroyed. So in order to get that realistic effect, it's necessary to model realistically the HTRF response, which means to put your head and ears back into the headphone setting, so the audio can sound like speakers in a room. That's why the frequency response is changed, and it is only changed so it sounds like you have a head and ears interacting with speakers in a room. So, again, Isone Pro is not "messing" with the frequency response. It is simply modeling the human head and ears realistically so the illusion of listening to speakers in a room is convincing and natural.

Correct and Toneboosters Isone, which is the product that's improved upon Isone Pro, does this even better. In even factors in the zone of confusion AFAIK. The zone of confusion is the narrow 5 degree 'v' right in the middle of the soundstage in which your brain cannot tell very easily whether the sound is in front of you or behind you. HRTF calibration is essential is to use Isone properly. You cannot leave it at the stock settings.

May 2, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #318 of 963
How do you install this?

1. I've downloaded the trail pack,
  2. installed J River Media Player trial,
  3. I went to playback options, DSP options ,  VST and try to add the plugin , manage plugins, 
  4. Double clicked the 'TB_Isone.dll'

Then comes up with 'Error      - Failed to install plug-in.'?
What am i doing wrong, i want to try this out.. 

May 3, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #319 of 963
^

Same here. I couldn't get it to work on Foobar either (using George Yohng's VST Wrapper). I'm perfectly able to install Electri-Q (posihfopit version) on both J River Media Player and Foobar though, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

EDIT: Originally I downloaded the 64-bit version, but I just tried the 32-bit version and it works.

May 3, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #320 of 963
Perfect, thanks!

Quote:
^

Same here. I couldn't get it to work on Foobar either (using George Yohng's VST Wrapper). I'm perfectly able to install Electri-Q (posihfopit version) on both J River Media Player and Foobar though, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

EDIT: Originally I downloaded the 64-bit version, but I just tried the 32-bit version and it works.

May 3, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #321 of 963
For those of you that love/hate the plugin, what headphones are you using with it? I suspect that might have a bearing on how much you like it, because I find I like it much more with some of my headphones than others (love it on my lambdas!). Also, I don't really like the room acoustics with some songs, but love it with others. I think it adds too much of a reverb on some music, especially female vocals. I suppose it does sound more like the singer is singing in a room with you, but a poorly dampened room at that because it echoes way too much for my tastes. Very nice effect in some cases (i.e. live recordings) but on a lot of my studio recordings the room acoustics sounds unnatural to me. I do enjoy the general plugin on all of my music though, haven't found any music that hasn't benefitted from it (in my humble opinion of course).

Jun 14, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #322 of 963
TB IsoneSurround

tested and approved!
smily_headphones1.gif
   I'm using J. River, with great realism in audio 5.1ch

Jun 14, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #323 of 963
Jeroen can make ALOT of money off this licensing this stuff..I really dunno why he isn't vs. selling small-time.
Licensing this to soundcard manufacturers, studio or consumer otherwise. Tweak it a little bit to be easier to use for the layman and it can EASILY be a direct competitor to the Sensaura / Aureal tech Creative have locked up. I'm sure he has all the legal copyright / patent documents covering this etc...

Jun 14, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #324 of 963

Quote:
Jeroen can make ALOT of money off this licensing this stuff..I really dunno why he isn't vs. selling small-time.
Licensing this to soundcard manufacturers, studio or consumer otherwise. Tweak it a little bit to be easier to use for the layman and it can EASILY be a direct competitor to the Sensaura / Aureal tech Creative have locked up. I'm sure he has all the legal copyright / patent documents covering this etc...

He's made it very clear in conversations with me that he's only doing these audio plugins as a hobby. These are the plugins he uses in his personal life and he wrote them for himself, then decided he might as well share them with the public, but wanted to make them commercial product so he could get some monetary return for all the work he put into them (and probably also so people will take them more serious than if they were totally free). That's why they are priced so low and why he doesn't seem aggressive at all when it comes to updating them, improving them, listening to user suggestions...etc. He already has a day job as an audio professional, and that's his main career and money maker.

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #325 of 963
But he can make MORE money (particularly if say you even licence the naming of the product) ..but hey, of course, his decision in the end.
It benefits his pocket and everyone via bigger mass adoption.

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #329 of 963
Quote:
Interesting thread guys! Do I dare dream that this will be implemented on a portable player in the future?
biggrin.gif

You can get an amp with crossfeed (Arrow, XM4, 5, & 6, Headroom Total Bithead or Portable Desktop) in the mean time.  I have an XM6.  Its not as good, but it keeps my brain from rattling apart due to much stereo separation.

Jun 21, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #330 of 963

Quote:
Interesting thread guys! Do I dare dream that this will be implemented on a portable player in the future?
biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, most crossfeeds, be it hardware or software, are simply just that--a crossfeed. They don't have the sophisticated HRTF algorithm, which is what actually creates the realistic simulation of listening to speakers place in front of your head. They also don't have the room simulation and speaker simulation either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back