Isone Pro - the best thing you could ever get for your headphones on your computer
Jun 21, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #331 of 963
The only demo I can find is TB_IsoneSurround with almost no settings available, is that right?
And all it seems to do is make the music louder (dynamic compression) without any actual sound-stage benefit (using Audiophile setup, everything else just adds reverb). It actually sounds even more "in-your-face" than without it.

Maybe the actual payware product is better, but I didn't like this demo at all. I'd rather use Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural DSP or Dolby Headphone...

Am I missing something here?
confused.gif

(using foobar2000 + George Yohng's VST wrapper, and normal stereo music)

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #332 of 963

Quote:
The only demo I can find is TB_IsoneSurround with almost no settings available, is that right?

No, the surround version is only for 5.1 surround material such as movies, games, or surround music. What you need is the regular version. There should be a regular version you can find online somewhere.

Jun 21, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #333 of 963
Ok thanks, it turns out I'm an idiot, it was supposed to be TB_Isone.
tongue.gif

A lot better, but even after trying lots of different settings, it still doesn't sound as convincing as my carefully crafted Channel Mixer + Dolby Headphone setup (at least with my HD555).
It's certainly less "wet" than DH, but perhaps for this reason the effect is not strong enough to justify it for me...

Jul 13, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #336 of 963
So I've got the TB Isone but I'm confused with the HRTF settings. It's  supposed to be important in order to get the best sound.

I have ear size set at 55 and headsize at 70 % now.

How do I go on to calibrate this?

Ed

Jul 14, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #337 of 963

Quote:
So I've got the TB Isone but I'm confused with the HRTF settings. It's  supposed to be important in order to get the best sound.

I have ear size set at 55 and headsize at 70 % now.

How do I go on to calibrate this?

Ed

Did you read the user's manual? Or Jeroen still haven't made one yet for the new version? If not, you can ask him to send you the old user's manual for Isone Pro.

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #338 of 963

[size=medium]
For any Mac users, you can also try Flux's HEar . Its also a binaural encoder, and it works on both Macs and PCs (Isone won't work on Pure Music, Play, or Apple's Logic DAW; at least as far as I can tell). Plus, the best part is that the FREE trial version simulates stereo; you only need to pay the $51 if you want to simulate surround sound on your headphones. It definitely colors the sound a bit, but its a lot of fun, and did I mention that it is FREE! 
[/size]

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #339 of 963
The manual can be found here http://www.toneboosters.com/manuals/TB_Isone.pdf

Lunatique, I saw your post over on the latest head-fi tv thread. For one, great post, completely agree with everything I read. The reason I'm posting is I noticed you said that with Isone you got the sound to come from out in front of you.

I've been liking the new Isone more than Isone Pro because I find that it has almost no effect on the frequency response of the signal, but I have been having trouble getting the sound to really come from out in front like I did with the Pro. I've sort of just achieved nice crossfeed with some subtle room reverb. I wanted to ask you how you like to go about calibrating the software (if you have anything to share beyond what the manual says), and if you find you have better experience with certain kinds of headphones . I'm still enjoying and using the software, but I know it has a lot more to offer.

Thanks

Jul 29, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #340 of 963

Quote:
The manual can be found here http://www.toneboosters.com/manuals/TB_Isone.pdf

Lunatique, I saw your post over on the latest head-fi tv thread. For one, great post, completely agree with everything I read. The reason I'm posting is I noticed you said that with Isone you got the sound to come from out in front of you.

I've been liking the new Isone more than Isone Pro because I find that it has almost no effect on the frequency response of the signal, but I have been having trouble getting the sound to really come from out in front like I did with the Pro. I've sort of just achieved nice crossfeed with some subtle room reverb. I wanted to ask you how you like to go about calibrating the software (if you have anything to share beyond what the manual says), and if you find you have better experience with certain kinds of headphones . I'm still enjoying and using the software, but I know it has a lot more to offer.

Thanks

I actually scrutinized the frequency response before and after both Isone Pro and Isone, and they both alter the frequency response noticeably, just differently in terms which frequencies. But that is not a bad thing at all, because that's what HRTF is all about. In the real world, your head and ears will alter the frequency response of everything you hear, so if you play a pink noise or a log sweep, even if they measure perfectly flat by equipment, you will not hear them as perfectly flat, since your head and ears will introduce frequency alterations. HRTF algorithm replicates this phenomenon, and that is why it sounds so natural and realistic. Without altering the frequency response, then realism will be destroyed and it won't sound nearly as natural.

I have tried tweaking based on the user's manual's instructions, but I discovered that the default setting works very well with my own head and ear sizes, so I don't really need to tweak any further. The only change I make is to change the speaker distance to match my reference monitors' position in relation to my listening spot. Personally, I prefer Isone Pro over TB Isone because it just sounds more natural and dynamic to me.

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #341 of 963
Yea, I should really amend what I said. Isone definitely changes the frequency response, but I feel like it does it in a way and to a smaller degree such that I would expect something like a room simulator to. In my position Isone Pro feels like it just takes it too far (though IME so far works better!). 

I would guess that people's satisfaction with the FR of Isone Pro depends on what headphones they're using, and whether their already non-flat response can take that change without getting unpleasant. IMO it doesn't work well with an unequalized HE-6. Have you had better success with some headphones over others?

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #342 of 963

Quote:
Yea, I should really amend what I said. Isone definitely changes the frequency response

If you leave it at the default settings. You must configure all versions of Isone to the frequency response graph of your headphones. Mine are DT880 600ohms.

vs. the Headroom graph

Of course the frequency response will slightly change with the headphone positioning on your head but that's a factor you can control.
You must also configure the HRTF sections to your head. Leaving it at default settings defeats the point of Isone. Tweeter size doesn't really matter if you aren't shifting it more than the 30 degrees default, which is standard for nearfield studio monitors. I changed it to 25mm tweeters anyway as high-end studio monitors like Adams use 25mm tweeters. Remember Isone is not a crossfeed for headphones, it is a studio monitor emulation software for headphones. Most music don't have below 30Hz and above 14kHz tones so the dropoff is fine. There is a slight tradeoff in the subbass that I will have to fix.

Aug 15, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #343 of 963
Anyone else finding that this works wayyyy better with neutral/EQ'd-to-neutral headphones?

Aug 15, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #344 of 963
Can someone post a layman's description of what each knob does? I don't quite hear a very audible difference when I adjust either the head or ear sizes, on the Calibrate me! preset. Also, I still don't seem to be able to shake the in-the-head feeling with anything other than the laptop speaker simulation and the "the next room" simulation, and both of those degrade the sound beyond belief so they're not viable options, sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back