Isone Pro - the best thing you could ever get for your headphones on your computer
Jan 20, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #286 of 963
Omg thanks Lunatique! 

I have been using foobar for who knows how long and have not ever heard of a player as good as it until I read your thread. I just bought both the J.River media Center and Isone after testing the trials.

A / B with isone with just default setting on is so obvious! I will have to mess around with both J.RMC and Isone, if anyone have tips please do share.

Jan 30, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #287 of 963

Quote:
But I take Lunatique's word not to try to apply EQ after Isone; I wonder if he would recommend EQ before Isone in the DSP chain?  I don't know if Jeroen would weigh in on that question, since there are so many ways for noobs like me to mess up EQ and then wind up blaming the effect on Isone.  So right now, TB Isone is the only DSP I use in Foobar, and when I am on a Linux computer like I am now that doesn't host VST plugins easily, I really miss it.

Typically in mixing/mastering, you want to put EQ before reverb, and since the room simulation feature of Isone is sort of a reverb (loosely speaking), you want to EQ before Isone. But as I mentioned already, after having done endless testing ever since I purchased Isone Pro up to now, my conclusion is to not EQ (but if you're EQ'ing the headphone and not Isone, then that's another story) and keep the HRTF and room simulation activate.

Remember, any of you can invite Jeroen back into this thread--all you have to do is ask him.

Jan 30, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #288 of 963

Quote:
Omg thanks Lunatique! 

I have been using foobar for who knows how long and have not ever heard of a player as good as it until I read your thread. I just bought both the J.River media Center and Isone after testing the trials.

A / B with isone with just default setting on is so obvious! I will have to mess around with both J.RMC and Isone, if anyone have tips please do share.

Glad you like 'em. :)

My setting for Isone Pro is very simple--it's basically just the default setting, but with the Distance set somewhere around 1.5~1.6 meters. This is mainly to volume match the processed and bypassed signal.

That's it. Very simple. I've done lots of tweaking but I found that Jeroen did a great job setting the default parameters that will work for most people.

Mar 6, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #289 of 963
I'm using a VST to AU wrapper so I can use it in Logic Pro 9. The sound works perfectly the problem is the plugin image freezes when the window is moved around the screen... has anyone experienced this? Did you guys find a solution? Thank you very much!

Mar 11, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #290 of 963
Super Noobish - apologies.  I should read the whole thread first and I started but every third word is something I don't understand, so I'm not doing too well.  (I ended up here after just finishing a 20 page amp A/B post where Lunatique recommended this, so I'm out of time anyway.)

I have a MacBook, and E7/E9, and a few decent pairs of headphones.  I've only ever used iTunes.  Is Isone Pro something I can download and use with my current set up relatively easily, or would it necessitate changing all my music to some other format and using some other media player.  I'd probably be willing to do that, but I'm not particularly tech savvy (which is probably why I'm still on iTunes.)

Alternatively, maybe there's another way for me to get some basic EQ and more importantly crossfeed-ish kinda thing going on that works with what I'm currently using.

Thanks in advance if someone feels like taking a few minutes.

Mar 11, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #291 of 963
There might be some convoluted way to make it work with itunes, but you'll probably have to switch to a different player.

I'm not a mac guy so I couldn't tell you how or what.

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #293 of 963
Well, to use it properly, you really need to configure the frequency response to the frequency response to your headphones AND calibrate the HRTF.
I do have a large head. Head size and ear size have little correlation to one another.

Mine:

you must know the room acoustics and the 'rules' really. e.g. If the room is smaller, you must lower the (R)T60 time to compensate. Early reflections are never desirable. A lot of studio monitors used in studios are 25mm (e.g. Genelec 1031A, Adams). the HRTF settings make far more of a difference than the room acoustics. The default settings are definitely good but you really need to configure the HRTF and frequency response settings. I have the DT880 600ohm. You will have a different HRTF setting than me as you have a different size head and ear size.

Mar 22, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #294 of 963
I haven't been able to get the plugin to work with foobar or winamp. The VST wrapper for winamp tells me it is not a valid vst plugin, the vst wrapper for foobar, well, it just never shows up in the list of plugins on G.Y.'s vst wrapper, even though i have configured the vst folders and put the TB_Isone.dll file into the folder. Nothing. Any suggestions?

Mar 22, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #295 of 963

Quote:
I haven't been able to get the plugin to work with foobar or winamp. The VST wrapper for winamp tells me it is not a valid vst plugin, the vst wrapper for foobar, well, it just never shows up in the list of plugins on G.Y.'s vst wrapper, even though i have configured the vst folders and put the TB_Isone.dll file into the folder. Nothing. Any suggestions?

I don't know why the GY wrapper isn't working for it, but you could also try this VST wrapper http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=84947

I've been using this VST wrapper for a while with Isone Pro and like it since it integrates directly into Foobar's interface. I created hotkeys to swap settings if I am going back and forth between headphones and speakers. Works well.

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #296 of 963
Thanks, now how do you get the plugin to show up and work? It's not showing up under the DSP section on foobar.

Apr 1, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #297 of 963
Just wanted to chime in and give a shout out to Lunatique for alerting me to this plugin. It's truly amazing! I've been searching for something just like this for some time. I was looking into physical crossfeed circuits and was about to build a Corda Cross, but stumbled upon this. All of my music sounds so much better now it's nuts. I love John Coltrane, but a lot of his recordings were practically unlistenable for me on headphones due to how much separation there was between the channels. After installing isone, I am finally able to enjoy Coltrane and some earlier jazz recordings again!

Apr 16, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #299 of 963
Isone's integration with Fidelia is seamless on my Macbook. I consider myself a purist, but I must say playing around with Fidelia + Isone has been interesting.
olor1n, like you, I like to keep it simple, but after stumbling on this thread, and trackng down the Mac OS X compatble plug-ins—no simple task, BTW—I am looking forward to loading this up in Fidelia.

Apr 16, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #300 of 963

Users who are viewing this thread

Back