Isone Pro - the best thing you could ever get for your headphones on your computer
Aug 28, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #196 of 963
anwaypasible - It's unlikely you had "comprehensive" hearing tests done, whether by a paid audiologist or at your school. Hearing test in general only tests frequency ranges most vital to understanding speech, and anything outside of that range they do not test. I've asked around trying to find one audiologist that tests the entire hearing range of 20Hz~20KHz and no one does it, at least no in the San Francisco Bay Area.

You don't have to use the HRTF or room simulation sections if you don't want to--you can simply use it as a crossfeed, and even as just a crossfeed, it is still much better than other crossfeeds out there.

Once again, you have no idea what you're talking about with Isone Pro's room simulation. Do you even know what Isone Pro is for? It's for audio professionals to be able to check their mixes in different environments and using different virtual audio reproduction devices to see how well their mixes are translating. That's what it's mainly designed for. That's why it also has cabinet simulations. This way, if an audio professional wants to check how his mix sounds in a typical sized living room while being played by a flat screen television, he simply chooses those settings and he'll hear a virtual environment/speaker that closely approximates the sonic signature of a flat screen TV's tiny speakers playing in a living room. This saves hm from having to burn a CD of his mix so he could take it to different kinds of environments that typical consumers would listen to music in.

As for the binaural stuff you're dragging into the conversation--they have nothing to do with the topic. You didn't even understand what was being discussed. And latex with micron small enough to capture bass frequencies? Do you even understand the scientific principles behind standing waves and frequency wavelengths? Do you understand anything about room acoustics and studio design/construction?

Look, it's ok to admit that you're out of your depth and you don't know what you're talking about, instead of stubbornly trying to save face and appearing even more foolish for trying.

Anyway, I've already done what I originally intended, which was to share my finding with the forum. Now that people know about Isone Pro, I'm done with this thread. You're free to not like Isone pro, but you ought to be talking about it because you truly understand what it does, instead of slagging it because of your ignorance.

Aug 28, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #197 of 963
embarassing yourself much telling me what has and hasnt been done over here is really getting on my bad side.. i dont like the attitude stemming from you and your downright ten-folded self proclamation of exactly what i said previously.

telling me how i am wrong only to say the same thing later on is abusive conduct (out of the blue might i add)

'for audio professionals to be able to check their mixes in different environments and using different virtual audio reproduction devices to see how well their mixes are translating. That's what it's mainly designed for. That's why it also has cabinet simulations. This way, if an audio professional wants to check how his mix sounds in a typical sized living room while being played by a flat screen television, he simply chooses those settings and he'll hear a virtual environment/speaker that closely approximates the sonic signature of a flat screen TV's tiny speakers playing in a living room. This saves hm from having to burn a CD of his mix so he could take it to different kinds of environments that typical consumers would listen to music in.'

is exactly what i said here:
'i can understand that audio mastering might want to take into consideration what the music is going to sound like in the average household room'
and here:
'pretend they are listening to music in a room of such and such size'

despite whatever facts and/or audio degrees you chose to hold onto, your will power used to talk to me in such a way comes with consequences.
have no second thought
deadhorse.gif

Aug 28, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #198 of 963

Quote:
is exactly what i said here

Yes, you said that, but you also misunderstood completely what a room mode is in that same post, and you seem to think that Isone pro introduces room modes into the sound, which it doesn't. You really should look up the term "room modes" and learn what it is because it doesn't mean what you think it does.

Anyway, just so you understand, I'm not getting worked up or being upset or being mean--I'm simply stating things as they are. There is nothing malicious about anything I said. I doubt anyone will interpret anything I've written thus far as being uncivilized or abusive. If anyone has introduced tones of hostility, it was you who kept on saying how you'd laugh at this or that as if all of this is beneath you and you know better than anyone else, which sounds incredibly condescending and offensive. Often in a conflict, the first person the accuser should look at is the mirror--that's often where the conflict originated from. But in this case, the conflict is in your head only. I'm having a good day here, and I'm typing this with a calm smile. :)

Aug 28, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #199 of 963
My actual setup for 5.1

Use this setting to listen to multichannel music in foobar v1.1  in the following order

1) DSP Vst bridge (audio in 5.1 that works only)

*Isone Pro Surround: 5.1 channel / Distance : 2,20 M / Gabinet Sub/sat (high-end) / Room: off

2) DSP George Yohng's VST Wrapper (audio in 2.0)

*Console vst

- PSP Neon HR (kill resonance Headphones)

- Altiverb 6 (Room) Default MIX 4% / Impulse Response: Arts & Sciences building (Hall near narrow sources-stereo)

- Sonalksis MaxLimit: Preset transparent / Release: Auto

My little room
beyersmile.png

the sound is very nice!

Aug 28, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #200 of 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by poico /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Why do you use a limiter instead of reducing the overall gain?

The Altiverb preset you chose is great for recording music, not for playing it back through speakers!  You have to look for presets (or make them yourself) which simulate not the recording room of a studio, but its control room instead. In other words, not the place where musicians play, but the place where audio engineers sit monitoring the sound!

Aug 28, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #202 of 963
Quote:
not to have to adjust between songs

So, which side are you on in the Loudness Wars ? This limiter may be shaving off peaks up to several dB high. You kill the dynamic range, a very precious commodity nowadays, with your own hands...

You can set the overall gain low enough so that even the hottest albums do not jump over the zero level. Then you can adjust the volume in your amp if you don't want to adjust between albums (such adjustment though would be the best variant as it does not sacrifice any bits in music signal).

Try upsampling the signal before your chain and downsampling again before outputting to your DAC. The accuracy of the processing will improve...

Aug 28, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #203 of 963

Quote:
- Altiverb 6 (Room) Default MIX 4% / Impulse Response: Arts & Sciences building (Hall near narrow sources-stereo)  

My little room
beyersmile.png

So you are playing studio mixed/mastered material that already has reverb information in them, in a large virtual space that yet convolutes the reverb space even more?
eek.gif
Is that wise? Wouldn't a typical sized listening room be more suitable since that's what audio engineers aim for when they do their magic? Also, modern audio mixes are already so overly compressed and squashed, with very little dynamic range. Is it a good idea to further squash the dynamic range with a limiter?

Aug 28, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #204 of 963

Quote:
You can set the overall gain low enough so that even the hottest albums do not jump over the zero level. Then you can adjust the volume in your amp if you don't want to adjust between albums (such adjustment though would be the best variant as it does not sacrifice any bits in music signal).

Try upsampling the signal before your chain and downsampling again before outputting to your DAC. The accuracy of the processing will improve...

thanks for the tip! I'm here to learn.
beerchug.gif

Aug 28, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #205 of 963

"Coll's Living" would be ideal!!   has strong resonance in the bass. "Arts & Sciences building" is neutral, giving a great listening room! be configured without exaggeration
normal_smile .gif

Aug 28, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #206 of 963
Quote:
My actual setup for 5.1

Use this setting to listen to multichannel music in foobar v1.1  in the following order

1) DSP Vst bridge (audio in 5.1 that works only)

Poico, I wonder how you are able to use the VST bridge in Foobar 1.1 ? Everytime I add it to the list of active components, my Foobar  crashes.

Aug 29, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #208 of 963
Poico,

I just tried your VST bridge from the folder which you uploaded. My Foobar still crashes. It's a pity, I really need the second VST adapter. Unfortunately, the second instance of the George Yohng's VST wrapper does not work when I try to add it to the list of active DSPs.

Aug 29, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #209 of 963
Does anybody know, in case of using an external vst plugin providing room reberberation, which vst chain is more correct from the theoretical point of view:

Isone Pro > Room Simulation

OR

Room Simulation > Isone Pro

???

Aug 29, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #210 of 963
Here are some other 2.0 > 5.1 plugins to play with:

and this pair:

This thread here numbers 14 pages of discussion already. I made a similar thread on the biggest Russian headphone lovers' website (www.doctorhead.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5255) about the Isone Pro and even translated its manual and it generated zero interest. The Russian head-fiers are so brutal - they still worship "bit-perfectness" and "the original mastering engineer's intent" as they did ages ago under Peter the Great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back