ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Oct 8, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #3,917 of 5,044
Penon Serial ordered.

Putting these against the EST50 on due time, even though they seem to not share the same tuning and tonality.

Penon/ISN story of mine continues…

Oct 9, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #3,919 of 5,044
Penon Serial ordered.

Putting these against the EST50 on due time, even though they seem to not share the same tuning and tonality.

Penon/ISN story of mine continues…
Be aware man..
The SERIAL really needs thoroughly and extensively burn in there, in order of approaching the level of clarity / transparency it can reach...
From all the iems in my possession this one changed the most dramatically over a period of 200 hours approximately continuous burn in
The tonality and clarity / density / note weight and most of all the sound field seemed to me totally different after that extensive 200 burn in procedure
Don't judge it from straight out of the box listen..
The sound will gradually open up and get brighter after this period, compared to the very early and straight out of the box dark and closed in impressions...
You may also be quite puzzled finding a proper fit with this set....
But going through all these obstacles you ll be pleasantly surprised finding a mature and natural timbre there...

Oct 9, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #3,920 of 5,044
Be aware man..
The SERIAL really needs thoroughly and extensively burn in there, in order of approaching the level of clarity / transparency it can reach...
From all the iems in my possession this one changed the most dramatically over a period of 200 hours approximately continuous burn in
The tonality and clarity / density / note weight and most of all the sound field seemed to me totally different after that extensive 200 burn in procedure
The sound will gradually open up and get brighter after this period, compared to the very early and straight out of the box dark and closed in impressions...
But going through all these obstacles you ll be pleasantly surprised finding a mature and natural timbre there...

From my recent review:

"Burn-in:
After about 4 days of burn-in I was itching to start this sound review…..but I had a word of caution interjected. @Dsnuts PMed me and let me know about new discoveries to be made with prolonged burn-in. He said the SERIAL really demands a full 168 hours of burn in! I normally do burn-in though not always quite that much, as I actually have quite a number of IEMs to review, and less burn in would save time. But you know what? Dsnuts was absolutely right, at about 5 days I noted a smoothness never before seen, a cohesiveness which surfaced anew. I shook my head, this again was enlightening as truly the SERIAL was a slightly different IEM, soundstage even seemed wider, and in the end I had new respect for the completeness offered. Finally 7 days came around and yes, the SERIAL was gifted by another level of togetherness, a smoothness which went a-top of the initial ideas of smoothness. Here is a perfect example of you don’t know till you know. Meaning out-of-the-box there was nothing particularly wrong with the SERIAL, it’s just there was more driver separation and less blending of frequencies, there was a great smoothness right off, but burn-in added a quality of “oneness” along with added smoothness. I’m truly grateful for @Dsnuts input as there was a big difference between 4 days and 7 days! Way more quality than I could have ever dreamed possible. Though come-on it makes sense, instead of one DD driver, we have three in a series. Go figure?"

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-serial.25604/reviews#review-29328

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #3,921 of 5,044
Be aware man..
I have noticed the same with the EST50, after ca. 100 hours. The bass got tighter and the whole balance improved. You are confirming what other said about the Serial burn-in period. I am ok with that and looking forward getting into the process. The fit should not be a problem, I have ears made for IEMs, that’s a blessing.

I have been trying to build up a mid-fi IEMs armada with different flavors, while avoiding bright sets or with too much upper-mids presence. I went into TOTL territory with Aroma Jewel, Mest MK2 and loan units of Traillii or Odin, but even if these sets all sounded absolutely glorious in their own way, they also had their shortcomings and I always came back to the mid-fi segment. I am a mid-fi guy in portable audio, I guess, at least when it comes to transducers. The only TOTL set I will never part with, and the best sounding IEMs in my collection, are the Z1R.

If someone is interested in a full BA set with a great mid-centric tonality and the best sub-bass I’ve heard out of a full BA infrastructure, then the Oriveti O400 is the ticket. I have been hyping this set since more than a year now, and it’s definitely one of the most balanced and natural sounding pair of IEMs I came across in the hobby.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/or...ifi-iem-headphones.25189/reviews#review-26753

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #3,922 of 5,044
Just listening right now at this one :

using SERIAL & IBASSO DC04 as a dac/amp dongle (using a regular smartphone) and the amount of sonics / dynamic presentation that being released by this monitor is truly astonishing...

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #3,923 of 5,044
See, that’s what I truly was surprised with. How the Serial could be all that it is from a simple phone? :) I didn’t go into this subject at all in my review due to how long I thought the review was. But if I was to add to the review I would reiterate just how natural and full the SERIAL was.....either from just a phone or a Dongle and phone.

Those days of an IEM being a poor performer from a phone seem to be gone with some newer IEM models? As you could imagine with a slew of IEMs sitting in a shop.....a person comes in and based on phone performance the IEM is judged as either good or bad. I mean what’s the percentage of people in the public with phones in comparison to people with audiophile DAPs? I’m no expert but I bet it’s less than a 1% to 99% ratio, or...really way less.....like .02%!

Now realize that the Penon SERIAL has 3 DDs which in-turn can be a little demanding, but with max volume actually a phone by itself works. But more than just working, the tone is full and fun, eventful and interesting. None of that loss of bass due to low power seems to affect playback, the sound is in many ways close to DAP response just that the SERIALs won’t go to ear-blasting levels from a simple phone.
Just listening right now at this one :

using SERIAL & IBASSO DC04 as a dac/amp dongle (using a regular smartphone) and the amount of sonics / dynamic presentation that being released by this monitor is truly astonishing...

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #3,924 of 5,044
just that the SERIALs won’t go to ear-blasting levels from a simple phone.
You know.... You can reach if you wish that "close to deafness level" with only 80 bucks... (DC04 is a tiny dynamite...) 😅😅
But you re correct.. Tone is full, stage is coherent & complete with or without any dongle there.... A naturalist's dream if I may say so...

Oct 9, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #3,925 of 5,044
You know.... You can reach if you wish that "close to deafness level" with only 80 bucks... (DC04 is a tiny dynamite...) 😅😅
But you re correct.. Tone is full, stage is coherent & complete with or without any dongle there.... A naturalist's dream if I may say so...
There is a specific and special style of replay from a phone that has the SERIAL somehow come into intimate communication surprisingly? I truly have never heard an IEM with this exact sounding feature? Just think of all the people with phones that aren’t audiophiles (and don’t know anything about audiophile-ism) but would still enjoy good music! The SERIAL is the total gateway product, if only those people found out about it!

Oct 14, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #3,926 of 5,044
0C5211DE-F0C5-493F-B287-B891FD8E8E3E.jpeg

The H30 took some tip rolling to get a good fit for my small ears, the design of the H30 allows for deeper than average insertion. Which is great for passive noise isolation. Still deciding between Radius Deep Mounts or the short foams in the photo.

But once I had a good fit they revealed themselves to be very dynamic and engaging. The tuning leans more towards H50 than EST50. Great clarity in the mids and vocals. Treble was sibilance free with good presence. Deep and powerful bass when called upon, agile with quick decay.

Personally would’ve liked even more bass emphasis but I’m greedy and there’s definitely enough whilst the quality keeps me happy.

Oct 14, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #3,927 of 5,044
0C5211DE-F0C5-493F-B287-B891FD8E8E3E.jpeg

The H30 took some tip rolling to get a good fit for my small ears, the design of the H30 allows for deeper than average insertion. Which is great for passive noise isolation. Still deciding between Radius Deep Mounts or the short foams in the photo.

But once I had a good fit they revealed themselves to be very dynamic and engaging. The tuning leans more towards H50 than EST50. Great clarity in the mids and vocals. Treble was sibilance free with good presence. Deep and powerful bass when called upon, agile with quick decay.

Personally would’ve liked even more bass emphasis but I’m greedy and there’s definitely enough whilst the quality keeps me happy.
If you wanna hear deep and powerful bass , try the Letshuoer S12 with the Prometheus mod:

Oct 14, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #3,928 of 5,044
Oct 14, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #3,929 of 5,044
Today I received “Paradise” in the mail. Redcarmoose started his review with that word and ever since I’ve been saving to buy paradise, the ISN H50 came today and I’m loving it. Amazing sound all around, huge stage, easily in my top 3 iems!
Penon got them to me quickly, Thank You!
I’ll update after I listen to all my tunes…..totally worth every cent these are.

Oct 14, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #3,930 of 5,044
If you wanna hear deep and powerful bass , try the Letshuoer S12 with the Prometheus mod:

That’s too much work for my clumsy hands. Going to try and wait till at least 2nd generation of planar drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back