ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Apr 30, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #2,356 of 5,044
For info, these are the grills and black cloth behind my H40
AE0BE698-D3E9-45F4-81C3-165891C5C51D.jpeg

DC1650AF-A857-49E6-B151-1CBCEEE02622.jpeg

these are the new grills i installed, without any cloth behind.
72A0F9A1-CE8E-4B9D-A8D9-BEF27EE246C7.jpeg

Apr 30, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #2,357 of 5,044
For info, these are the grills and black cloth behind my H40

these are the new grills i installed, without any cloth behind.
What are your impressions after the mod?

I have spent about 2 weeks without listening to the H40s, was mainly listening to the LZ A6 and the Fiio FH3. Man the H40s sound so good now that i have circled back to them, i forgot how nice these sounded!
After learning a bit more about frequency responses and EQ i have come up with a new EQ setting that, in my opinion, brings the H40 close to perfection. But that is very subjective of course.

H40_eq.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #2,359 of 5,044
I just got these, will let you know how it pairs with the H40.
1619830814477.png

PAC480. These are intriguing as Penon usually don't offer cables under the Penon brand less than a $100 they have one cable that is a budget sector their CS819. otherwise any cable with the Penon brand are all premium cables. In any case I will report back once I get them here in a few days.

May 1, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #2,360 of 5,044
What are your impressions after the mod?

I have spent about 2 weeks without listening to the H40s, was mainly listening to the LZ A6 and the Fiio FH3. Man the H40s sound so good now that i have circled back to them, i forgot how nice these sounded!
After learning a bit more about frequency responses and EQ i have come up with a new EQ setting that, in my opinion, brings the H40 close to perfection. But that is very subjective of course.

H40_eq.JPG
I also have YY ST7 (same as Shuoer EJ07) but…i am now preferring the H40.
My EQ, by using Neutralizer app on android on my ears is a follows
FA3DB199-1524-4AA7-9E86-433778FDE26A.jpeg

May 1, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #2,361 of 5,044
I guess the next step up from the H40 is the Penon Globe. Or maybe the FiiO FH5s?

May 1, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #2,362 of 5,044
For folks that want an upgrade on the H40 sound, I would actually look into the new Penon Globe. Which has some similar DNA in the tuning but made with more premium drivers. I would say it is a direct upgrade. Working on a review of the Globe and it is imo the next level H40.
Hi @Dsnuts patiently waiting for your review of the Penon Globe. And it would be awesome to have a detailed comparison with the H40. Apart from the SQ and technicalities, I´d be quite interested in size, fit, and isolation differences.
regards, Jose

May 1, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #2,363 of 5,044
Hi @Dsnuts patiently waiting for your review of the Penon Globe. And it would be awesome to have a detailed comparison with the H40. Apart from the SQ and technicalities, I´d be quite interested in size, fit, and isolation differences.
regards, Jose

I guess the next step up from the H40 is the Penon Globe.

It is right here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/pe...ifi-audiophile-iem.25087/reviews#review-25665

Snippet:
A few folks was asking what would be an upgrade on one of ISNs best seller the H40. The ISN H40 is still to this day one of the best bang for buck hybrids in the market and again the H40 gets better with a cable upgrade but based on stock sound the Globe is a straight upgrade on what you love about the H40. Think H40 but more refined. I can tell the drivers used on the Globes are of a higher grade meaning your getting more than the standard drivers that are in the H40. Sound pedigree/ DNA is similar. That large warm smooth dimensional presentation is a descriptor for both IEMs but here the Globe takes that sound into another tier in quality. Bass has better definition, overall better quality for bass. The single BA being used on the Globe takes that smooth tonality of the H40 into a richness the H40 is not able to quite do. Globe sounds even more dimensional than the H40. Treble on the Globe is tuned better as it is cleaner sounding with similar extension and is less peaky vs the H40 treble. For folks that enjoyed your H40 and are wondering if the Globe will be a step up. I am telling you it is a step up.

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #2,365 of 5,044
Wow, thank you!!! how did I miss that???
You are welcome. Sometimes it is tough to search/find reviews of items here.

I can vouch that the Globe is a fantastic IEM. From @Dsnuts review of the Globe, I have been looking at possibly purchasing the H40 as a "cheap" Globe to serve as an EDC unit.

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #2,366 of 5,044
You are welcome. Sometimes it is tough to search/find reviews of items here.

I can vouch that the Globe is a fantastic IEM. From @Dsnuts review of the Globe, I have been looking at possibly purchasing the H40 as a "cheap" Globe to serve as an EDC unit.
Can you get the penon globe from aliexpress?

May 2, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #2,367 of 5,044
To my knowledge, the Globe is only available through Penon.

May 3, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #2,368 of 5,044
At this moment, what cables do you recommend for the H40? I was happy with the Kinboofi 8 Core but they are starting to fail. My price target must be under 50€.
Thanks!

Hey buddy, afraid I'm not too familiar with cables within your price range :frowning2:

If you're open to ponying up a bit, I can heartily recommend the Effect Audio Maestro ($99). That's a very crisp, resolving, yet natural sounding copper cable.

May 3, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #2,369 of 5,044
Wow, thank you!!! I was considering the Clair as a possible upgrade over the H40. Now I will look elsewhere.
in the meantime, I will experiment with tip and cable rolling to further improve the H40 performance.
cheers, Jose

Ha! You're welcome. But don't take my word for it... I *do* wonder if I'm an anomaly or outlier of sorts...

In the meantime...

IMG_8038.jpeg

I had actually sold my desktop setup (iFi ZEN stack) some time ago, after a "revelation" that I should divest myself of my audio gear (pls don't ask), and so I settled with just an iFi hip-dac.

Anyway... Seeing as I had already exhausted most of the IEMs I had been considering in the $500 - $1,000 range as an "upgrade", I thought well maybe I'll upgrade my upstream equipment instead in anticipation of a future IER-Z1R.

So I picked me up a JDS Atom (I'm sorry I won't sell you again) and an iFi ZEN DAC (I'm sorry I won't sell you again too), and boom! The H40 scales big time. Like Sony XBA-Z5 level type scalability.

Welp, can't complain...

May 3, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #2,370 of 5,044
Ha! You're welcome. But don't take my word for it... I *do* wonder if I'm an anomaly or outlier of sorts...

In the meantime...

IMG_8038.jpeg

I had actually sold my desktop setup (iFi ZEN stack) some time ago, after a "revelation" that I should divest myself of my audio gear (pls don't ask), and so I settled with just an iFi hip-dac.

Anyway... Seeing as I had already exhausted most of the IEMs I had been considering in the $500 - $1,000 range as an "upgrade", I thought well maybe I'll upgrade my upstream equipment instead in anticipation of a future IER-Z1R.

So I picked me up a JDS Atom (I'm sorry I won't sell you again) and an iFi ZEN DAC (I'm sorry I won't sell you again too), and boom! The H40 scales big time. Like Sony XBA-Z5 level type scalability.

Welp, can't complain...
The H40 sound awful on the Zen Dac because the dac is too warm for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back