ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Apr 24, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #2,341 of 5,053
Anyone does EQ for H40?
I have an EQ setting in my Qudelix 5K of - 4 dB @ 125 Hz and - 3DB @ 250 Hz when listening to the H40.
I have also removed the mesh grill and I love the sound I am getting with the H40 using Final E tips (medium size)
when I factor in the comfort and isolation level the H40 is the IEM that gives me the most engaging sound, that works with every music genre I listen to.
I also own the UM 3DT, Ibasso IT00, Dunu Dk 2001, and IMR REd 2, and the H40 is the one I use the most. It is my favorite IEM for outdoor use.
I am not saying is the best sounding of the bunch, that would be the Red 2, which has the most refined sound, and is the set I use indoors.

"For folks that want an upgrade on the H40 sound, I would actually look into the new Penon Globe. Which has some similar DNA in the tuning but made with more premium drivers. I would say it is a direct upgrade. Working on a review of the Globe and it is imo the next level H40."
IIRC @Dsnuts was the first one who brought the H40 attention to the community, and now he got me interested in the Globe IEM.
Not that I am in a hurry to upgrade, as I am waiting a few months until a very nice set with the EST drivers at a reasonable price (for me, anyway) shows up.
In the meantime, I am perfectly happy and enjoying the sets I have.
cheers, Jose

Apr 24, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #2,342 of 5,053
Anyone does EQ for H40?
I do, here are my settings. I removed just a bit of mid-bass and increased sub-bass. Also did some tweaks in mids and highs.

Nothing scientific here, just suits my taste for music. Give it a try and let me know what you think, if you really like bass you can increase the 70hz low shelf as much as you like.

h40_eq.JPG

Apr 25, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #2,343 of 5,053
I have an EQ setting in my Qudelix 5K of - 4 dB @ 125 Hz and - 3DB @ 250 Hz when listening to the H40.
I have also removed the mesh grill and I love the sound I am getting with the H40 using Final E tips (medium size)
when I factor in the comfort and isolation level the H40 is the IEM that gives me the most engaging sound, that works with every music genre I listen to.
I also own the UM 3DT, Ibasso IT00, Dunu Dk 2001, and IMR REd 2, and the H40 is the one I use the most. It is my favorite IEM for outdoor use.
I am not saying is the best sounding of the bunch, that would be the Red 2, which has the most refined sound, and is the set I use indoors.

"For folks that want an upgrade on the H40 sound, I would actually look into the new Penon Globe. Which has some similar DNA in the tuning but made with more premium drivers. I would say it is a direct upgrade. Working on a review of the Globe and it is imo the next level H40."
IIRC @Dsnuts was the first one who brought the H40 attention to the community, and now he got me interested in the Globe IEM.
Not that I am in a hurry to upgrade, as I am waiting a few months until a very nice set with the EST drivers at a reasonable price (for me, anyway) shows up.
In the meantime, I am perfectly happy and enjoying the sets I have.
cheers, Jose
Have you removed the whole grill and kept ungrilled, or substituted with a different grill?

Apr 25, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #2,344 of 5,053
Have you removed the whole grill and kept ungrilled, or substituted with a different grill?
Hi, I have kept the H40 ungrilled. For my old ears the top end has opened nicely with more air around the music notes. Overall a very smooth sound from top to bottom end.
If I could find the same sound signature (modded) with bigger sound stage and instrument separation it would be close to end game for me
Cheers, Jose

Apr 25, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #2,345 of 5,053
New here, nice seeing many different opinions & tweaks. Love my H40s and just recently got the itch to try more tips, any suggestions? I've been recommended Final Audio Type E, Sony Hybrid and JVC Spiral Dot. The clear green silicone tips sound the best to me out of the ones included with the IEMs

Also have to say, I'll be avoiding MMCX in the future - sound cutting out is a constant problem after owning them for a bit over a year (although I had to RMA them last October as the left one died, fairly sure I received completely new ones)

Apr 26, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #2,346 of 5,053
Hi, I have kept the H40 ungrilled. For my old ears the top end has opened nicely with more air around the music notes. Overall a very smooth sound from top to bottom end.
If I could find the same sound signature (modded) with bigger sound stage and instrument separation it would be close to end game for me
Cheers, Jose
Great! You also removed the black cloth behind the grill?

Apr 26, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #2,347 of 5,053
New here, nice seeing many different opinions & tweaks. Love my H40s and just recently got the itch to try more tips, any suggestions? I've been recommended Final Audio Type E, Sony Hybrid and JVC Spiral Dot. The clear green silicone tips sound the best to me out of the ones included with the IEMs

Also have to say, I'll be avoiding MMCX in the future - sound cutting out is a constant problem after owning them for a bit over a year (although I had to RMA them last October as the left one died, fairly sure I received completely new ones)
Just stick with wide bores. It will give you bigger soundstage.
Spiral dots, whirlwinds/tornadoes, azla earfit lights. All wide bores with different flavours.
E-pro Horn shapes are one of my faves for soundstage and shiny top end. But you will loose some warmth.

While im no fan of MMCX, i think in this case its more of a QC issue. I am actually forced to use a cable from my wife's £50 set and it solves cutting out issue. I have also owned CA Atlas long ago for few weeks, and i did not have cutting out issue. Whereas ISN was doing it since week one.
And its not just that, the cable is a letdown in general. All the terminations are falling apart And i only use H40 1h per week. So the cable has barely over 100hrs of wear since i own it.
Though i am quite happy with iems themselves and have no QC issues with them.

Apr 29, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #2,351 of 5,053

Can highly recommend the Azla SednaEarFit Regular/Light, Acoustune AET07, and SpinFit CP145. All three provide excellent clarity. The SpinFit will tame the bass the most. The Azla's will shift the focus to the bass and treble, and push the mids back somewhat. AET07's have the best mids, and are my choice for mesh modded sets. Generally speaking, Final E tips will boost the bass and darken the overall sound, and Spiral Dots will reduce both mid-bass and treble presence.

Also, due thanks to @Dsnuts for bringing attention to the H40, and @DynamicEars for the mesh mod tip. I've probably gone through over a dozen IEMs in the past year - the Sony IER-M9, Fearless S8F, AK T8iE MKII, and ThieAudio Clairvoyance amongst them - and the H40 have the best tuning by far, and excellent technicalities with the mesh mod.

They were pretty boomy out of the box even with the mod, but settled in very quickly over a couple of days.

The H40 don't get enough attention, IMO.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #2,353 of 5,053
@shampoosuicide for pop, rock/alternative, edm & Rnb music, which is better, h40 or clairvoyance? In terms of fit & comfort also, which is best amongst all? Thanks

The H40 hands down, for both sound and fit.

The Clairvoyance has a pretty large housing, and they feel much more noticeable in your ears when worn.

Regarding sound, I'll be honest, I found the Clairvoyance underwhelming. Here's a link to an excellent review by aminus that matches my own impressions very closely. In short, they're fairly lacking in dynamics, and their bass quality leaves quite a lot to be desired, particularly with regard to impact, definition, and texture. They have a very palatable, non-offensive tuning, but their technicalities are middling otherwise. I gave them a fair shot rolling different tips, but no dice.

As for the H40, I replaced the mesh on mine immediately upon receiving it, so I haven't heard it in stock form, but it easily outperforms the Clairvoyance to my ears. Tuning wise, I believe it's a far better fit for the genres you mentioned, if only by virtue of its superior dynamics and bass quality. I also concur with @Dsnuts on the H40's sensitivity and ability to scale with better cables.

I'll add as well that the modded H40 has noticeably cleaner and quicker transients than the Clairvoyance, along with better leading-edge definition and bite/attack that lends itself better to rock music.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #2,354 of 5,053
At this moment, what cables do you recommend for the H40? I was happy with the Kinboofi 8 Core but they are starting to fail. My price target must be under 50€.
Thanks!

Apr 29, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #2,355 of 5,053
Can highly recommend the Azla SednaEarFit Regular/Light, Acoustune AET07, and SpinFit CP145. All three provide excellent clarity. The SpinFit will tame the bass the most. The Azla's will shift the focus to the bass and treble, and push the mids back somewhat. AET07's have the best mids, and are my choice for mesh modded sets. Generally speaking, Final E tips will boost the bass and darken the overall sound, and Spiral Dots will reduce both mid-bass and treble presence.
Also, due thanks to @Dsnuts for bringing attention to the H40, and @DynamicEars for the mesh mod tip. I've probably gone through over a dozen IEMs in the past year - the Sony IER-M9, Fearless S8F, AK T8iE MKII, and ThieAudio Clairvoyance amongst them - and the H40 have the best tuning by far, and excellent technicalities with the mesh mod.
They were pretty boomy out of the box even with the mod, but settled in very quickly over a couple of days.
The H40 don't get enough attention, IMO.
Wow, thank you!!! I was considering the Clair as a possible upgrade over the H40. Now I will look elsewhere.
in the meantime, I will experiment with tip and cable rolling to further improve the H40 performance.
cheers, Jose

Users who are viewing this thread

Back