ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
May 3, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #2,371 of 5,044
The H40 sound awful on the Zen Dac because the dac is too warm for them.

Ha, well I can certainly see why you'd feel that way! Though I'm running the H40 modded from the Atom.

Would recommend getting a spare set of grilles and swapping out the stock ones (reversible) and/or trying a pair of SpinFits :)

As for the ZEN DAC, I would give the GTO filter a try, if you haven't already!

May 3, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #2,372 of 5,044
Ha, well I can certainly see why you'd feel that way! Though I'm running the H40 modded from the Atom.

Would recommend getting a spare set of grilles and swapping out the stock ones (reversible) and/or trying a pair of SpinFits :)

As for the ZEN DAC, I would give the GTO filter a try, if you haven't already!
I replaced the pads with JVC Spiral dot tips.

With the SpinFits they sound way too thin and bright.

But with the jvc spiral dots they just sound perfect and they are very comfortable.

But seriously don't use the H40 with the Zen dac. These iems really need a neutral source to really shine. I use mine with the Hilidac Beam 2S and they sound really awesome.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #2,373 of 5,044
DSC08048.JPG

Penon PAC480 cable on the ISN H40. These cables enhance just about everything that is good about the H40. As musical and engaging as the ISN H40 stock sound is the cables here accentuates the goodness. More expansive, notes have greater weight. Treble seems cleaner sounding. This cable is more copper based so it introduces more dynamic qualities of an earphone sound. Right now for the price I can't recommend a better cable at this price range especially for H40 owners.

May 7, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #2,374 of 5,044
What tips did you use for the H40?

Your impressions line up with a lot of reviews I read.

For me the H40 sound muffled with a strong V shape signature. Bass is heavy and full but the midrange is completely lost. Resolution and detail retrieval could really be better.

They don't sound airy for me neither do they seem to have a good sound stage.

I tested them on the Ifi Zen dac with the green and red tips as well as the foam ones. The foams sounded best after all.

Am I missing something ? :frowning2:

Do I need a different dac or other tips ?
Sorry for the long reply! I use the JVC spiral dot++ they help to even out the sound if anything, and my dac is the fiio m9. Hopefully this helps!

May 7, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #2,375 of 5,044
What tips did you use for the H40?

Your impressions line up with a lot of reviews I read.

For me the H40 sound muffled with a strong V shape signature. Bass is heavy and full but the midrange is completely lost. Resolution and detail retrieval could really be better.

They don't sound airy for me neither do they seem to have a good sound stage.

I tested them on the Ifi Zen dac with the green and red tips as well as the foam ones. The foams sounded best after all.

Am I missing something ? :frowning2:

Do I need a different dac or other tips ?
Also another thing, if the stock cables aren't your cup of tea, I would recommend the ISN SC4 cables (i'm currently using them), they have a mixture of copper and silver wires to also balance everything out. Hopefully this solves your troubles as well! Remember that everyone's ears are different too, I tend to like a balanced detailed signature, and a bit of attention to the bass. I recommend that you should get the Fiio fh7 if you can, lots of positives on those. Take care and stay safe!

May 7, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #2,377 of 5,044
Also another thing, if the stock cables aren't your cup of tea, I would recommend the ISN SC4 cables (i'm currently using them), they have a mixture of copper and silver wires to also balance everything out. Hopefully this solves your troubles as well! Remember that everyone's ears are different too, I tend to like a balanced detailed signature, and a bit of attention to the bass. I recommend that you should get the Fiio fh7 if you can, lots of positives on those. Take care and stay safe!
I have the ISN S8 cable I think.

I am not sure because my cable looks different that the isn cable. Maybe it's just a cheap china copy. I selected the cable as an upgrade to 4.4mm balanced on Ali express.

Before I looked into the H40 I wanted to get the Fiio FH7 or Ikko OH10 but then decided to get the H40 instead.

I am not sure if that was my best option but I am really happy with the H40 since then. I am powering them through my Hilidac Beam 2S.

May 7, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #2,378 of 5,044

Penon PAC480 cable on the ISN H40. These cables enhance just about everything that is good about the H40. As musical and engaging as the ISN H40 stock sound is the cables here accentuates the goodness. More expansive, notes have greater weight. Treble seems cleaner sounding. This cable is more copper based so it introduces more dynamic qualities of an earphone sound. Right now for the price I can't recommend a better cable at this price range especially for H40 owners.
Thank you for your replay! However, I do not like the colors of this Penon cable, I would prefer something more discrete. Do you have any other suggestion(s) for the H40? Maybe the NICEHCK LitzPS-Pro or the NiceHCK LitzPS 4?

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #2,379 of 5,044
I can test both of them out for you later tonight. I know silver cables tend to lean out the sound a touch adding detail to the presenation but some might like that. I am currently using an ISN SC4 on the H40. Half silver half copper. Reson why I never modded my H40. This cable brings the sound tuning to be more detailed with a tighter bass end.
1620397449167.png

I would imagine pure silver to be similar in presentation. Will check it later.

May 7, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #2,380 of 5,044
I can test both of them out for you later tonight. I know silver cables tend to lean out the sound a touch adding detail to the presenation but some might like that. I am currently using an ISN SC4 on the H40. Half silver half copper. Reson why I never modded my H40. This cable brings the sound tuning to be more detailed with a tighter bass end.

Thank you! I am open also to other cable suggestions.
I have the modded version of the H40. I enjoyed the H40 bass but now I feel it is more fast and tight. I use the Spiral Dots+ also that add more bass.

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #2,381 of 5,044
1620397449167.png

Will be looking forward to this comparison as well. Need to understand does the PAC480 really sounds like a 100 bucks cable or not.

May 7, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #2,382 of 5,044
Oh yea they are easily comparable to Penons OS849 cable which retails for $119. These two cables will trade punches for performance. The OS849 cable shown here has to be Penons most popular cable as it is a stright upgrade to just about any earphone. This cable has much more silver content than PAC480. According to specs 68% copper and 32% silver. Both cables add stage and the PAC480 adds a bit of warmth to the sonics while the OS849 does a great job with the technical aspect of an earphone tuning. Both add some note weight but the PAC is a bit more musical in what it does in comparison. PAC480 for more brighter neutral tunings and 0S849 for slightly warmer tunings like the H40/ Orbs/ Globes.

1620408812591.png

I seen similar cables on the express that goes for a bit more but the included accessories on the PAC480 is what clearly sets them apart. Penon is using premium stuff on their cable and it happens to be cheaper.

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #2,383 of 5,044
So I use the the 8 core Pure silver litzpro on my Orbs and Going from the ISN SC4 to the LitzPS which is the 4 cored version, pictured bottom left, on the H40. Both give excellent stage presence but depth of sound that the ISN SC4 throws out is gone on the Litz pro. Vocals have less weight and sound a bit more analytical with pure silver on the H40. Some may like this but I don't. H40 needs a bit of copper in the mix. But that is just me. Pure silver some what sterilizes what makes the H40 special in my opinion. If you guys have modded the H40 for more detail then I don't know if adding pure silver on top of that would be a good idea. Pure silver works on the Orbs as it brings much better treble presence the Orbs stock cable can't produce which makes them sound believe it or not a lot like the Globes. Pure silver cables has its uses for certain. However for the H40.

I would actually go with the cheaper pure copper LitzOCC if your H40 is modded to balance out that extra detail.. But to be completely honest both these cheaper cables is not really upgrading from the stock ISN S8 cable pictured top right corner, that came with the H40. Slightly different yes but not really upgrading what makes the H40 what it is. Again it is just my opinion as I own all these cables and can test them out. If you want just a thinner cable than the LitzOCC is better option in this case vs the LitzPS imo on the H40. I suppose both the NiceHCK cables are cheap enough to test out for yourself but if you go back to the cable that came with the H40 after using them. You will see what I mean. Pure silver will give the most detailed presentation but then you turn the H40 into more of an analytical sound tuning which again that is not really what the H40 is about but if that is what you want that is what you will get.

Cables like the PAC480 even ISNs own S4 cables bottom right corner, will be a clear upgrade from the stock cable. DSC08051.JPG
DSC08052.JPG

May 8, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #2,384 of 5,044
I have made the MOD to the H40 and I have to say that I liked the result. In order to lower the intensity and amount of the treble a little, I have placed a small sponge on the mouthpiece. I think your response improves throughout the audible band. Although the serial cable of the ISN H40 looks good to me, I will look at some of those recommended by @Dsnuts. Thanks

May 21, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #2,385 of 5,044
I just got a new H40 4 days ago. They sounded damn good out of the box, but after 72 hours of burn-in I am really impressed. They remind me of a refined smoother IT04, which never quite did it for me. The fit is the best of all the Chi-Fi universal custom-types I’ve tried- very light-weight. Very receptive to cable swapping, also. I already had the ISN S8 and SC4 and cannot decide which I enjoy more. Have a GS4 too. I’m almost afraid what it would do to the bass. I would have grabbed these H40’s much sooner because I thought isolation would take a hit with outdoor use like many earphones that utilize a dynamic (vent placement can exacerbate wind noise) and I’m real pleased I was wrong. I don’t think I’ll mess with the screen mod, enjoying the sound sig as is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back