ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Mar 21, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #841 of 5,053
One thing I can pretty much predict though. I am willing to bet which ever earphone new buyers are looking at be it the H40 or D10. If you don't think your not getting your moneys worth. There is something wrong with you. Lol. Or you are just oblivious one or the other.

I have learned to appreciate well design earphones and that is exactly what you get with ISN earphones. Not to mention some of the best cables for the price. It has been enlightening for me to know this company. Pay attention to their goods. These guys know their sound and they know what makes sound better much better than you would imagine. I would take anything these guys make over your well regarded manufacturer. There is almost zero guess work on their designs. If I can describe them in one word it is the word. Value.

I can't begin to tell you guys how many times I bought into the hype of some of the top brands and felt like I didn't get value out of it. Lol. If you are skeptical. How many impressions do you have to see where people gush over these before you think the majority feels the same? How many used H40s you see on the sale forums?. Someone show me.

Might tell you just how much value your getting. The answer to that is. NONE.

Mar 21, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #844 of 5,053
Ya I have yet to actually see someone selling theirs. It will happen. H40 is not perfect but I listen to mines on a regular basis.

As good as you guys think the H40 is. You throw in a highly resolving cable on it and it takes off into a totally different level of sound.

Which reminds me I am in the early stage of burn in on the D10 and have not tried any cables or what not. All of which I plan on doing.

I might be spending more time at home due to the scourge that is the COVID-19. If so I will be dedicating more time for reviews and this thread. There is no time like the present to listen to some music to take you away from the craziness that is happening right now.

Mar 21, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #845 of 5,053
Ya I have yet to actually see someone selling theirs. It will happen. H40 is not perfect but I listen to mines on a regular basis.
For me, only if they come up with a H50 successor or something similar. I still haven't maximized my set. Need to play with tips for a somewhat more comfortable fit (my ears are a bit sensible to the vaccum effect created) and change the stiff S4 cable (I know, it's nice compared to some stock cables but damn, it likes to curl and twist quite a bit lol).

Mar 21, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #847 of 5,053
@felix3650 Have you tried some foam tips? Ones I can recommend are moondrop foams. I believe Penon sells those. The included cable is actually the ISN S8. The S4 is the one I posted a pic with the D10. S4 is a nice upgrade on the S8 as it has 4 cores thinner but sonically is an upgrade in detail. Something to consider.

Mar 21, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #848 of 5,053
@Dsnuts Could you compare the instrument separation and imaging of H40, D10, NA1 and NA2 ?
Sorry of the request is too much

Just from what I know about the 4 phones. The H40 with an upgraded cable has the best imaging and that is due to the only one using BAs for the mid bands.

Even in stock form the way ISN tuned these is to have a good sense of height and depth adding to that dimensional sound so instrument separation will be excellent here. One of the better aspects of using BAs.

I would say after that due to the detailed nature of the tuning I would say the NA1 but the D10 don't fall too behind in that aspect. NA2 for being the cheapest among these are a good all rounder but they don't have the technicalities of the other 3.

Mar 21, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #849 of 5,053
@felix3650 Have you tried some foam tips? Ones I can recommend are moondrop foams. I believe Penon sells those. The included cable is actually the ISN S8. The S4 is the one I posted a pic with the D10. S4 is a nice upgrade on the S8 as it has 4 cores thinner but sonically is an upgrade in detail. Something to consider.
I'll look into those moondrop ones. I tried the stock ones that came with the IEM and after a listening session the right one remained stuck in my ear canal :p
I meant the S8 sorry (typo). I'm more intrigued by the newer CU4. It looks very nice and most probably sound nice too.
On another note, the black faceplate clear shell H40 displayed on Penon looks better than the one we have now in my opinion. Showing the internal structure gives me this 'yeah nice' factor :)

Mar 21, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #850 of 5,053
1584808518672.png
So these do come with the ISN S4. Excellent. These cables are one of the best for the price. RP of the cable itself is $58.90. So my initial impression of these were what your gonna get on the D10.

As per recommended foams https://penonaudio.com/accessories/earphone-eartips/4mm4.3mm4.9mm-memory-foam-eartips.html These are very similar to the moondrop foams. Get the 4.9mm wide open nozzled version.

Mar 21, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #853 of 5,053
Just got em in. H40 is a very cool iem. Bass is out of this world. I'm hearing a strong L shape out of the box. Details not that sharp, but good enough. The stage is a definite upgrade from the it03. Treble is quite subdued and so are vocals. Everything else is top notch for the price. Does clarity improve with burn in? Or perhaps there is a cheap cable upgrade that bring the sparkle up and midass down?

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #854 of 5,053
Just got em in. H40 is a very cool iem. Bass is out of this world. I'm hearing a strong L shape out of the box. Details not that sharp, but good enough. The stage is a definite upgrade from the it03. Treble is quite subdued and so are vocals. Everything else is top notch for the price. Does clarity improve with burn in? Or perhaps there is a cheap cable upgrade that bring the sparkle up and midass down?

Don't think so. That's my only complaint with these (treble). Vocals seem ok to me. Maybe slightly, slightly recessed at times. They are good but i'll probably wind-up selling them down the road. Maybe, i'll be the first for sale :)

Mar 21, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #855 of 5,053
Don't think so. That's my only complaint with these (treble). Vocals seem ok to me. Maybe slightly, slightly recessed at times. They are good but i'll probably wind-up selling them down the road. Maybe, i'll be the first for sale :)
Dang. Well, I might as well. I wish the IT03 had this soundstage! The midbass bloat might just be a bit much for me. If there is a way to tame it and bring some sparkle/texture to the sound it would be a done deal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back