ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Feb 12, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #571 of 5,047
I got word from penon that business is taking a big hit accross China due to the virus. Shipping it sketchy at the moment as it is dangerous to actually go from business to business to pick up goods. Aliexpress shipping has extended to Feb 29th. I know there is a lot of folks that want to get goods from Penon and other vendors from China but right now is not really a good time to shop for anything out of China. It seems we have to wait out and see what will happen here within the next few weeks.

This problem may become bigger than any one thought. I will give folks some updates as this virus spreads but for now hold off on your purchases. Even if you buy with good intentions the likely hood that you get your goods in a timely manor is not likely.

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #572 of 5,047
Started my listening session with the retired H40. Source is Tidal hi-fi on a hiby R6. Nothing special, very meh sound. Not better than my $70 BLON Cardinal (this iem is great but I still need a better cable to fully judge). After 15 minutes of decent sound, I decided that the retired H40 will probably stay in my gym bag. Switched to the real H40 with its ISN S8 2.5mm balanced cable and oh boy now we are talking.
I'm very interested in the H40 and read the thread. Why is there a difference between the retired H40 and the new/real H40? How can I see on Aliexpress that I get the real ones?

Thanks. :)

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #573 of 5,047
Corona issues aside.
I've been saving, and looking, and performing man-math-gymnastics for a while now.
I'm looking to move up my iem game from current: iSine + Cypher + Iphone and Moondrop KPE + Hiby R6 (original with 10 ohm OI not the pro) or the ubiquitous Blon (which will remain for sleeping.)

I'm thinking of going the whole hog and buying some S8F's based on the meta review scores.
Then I pinched myself and decided the moondrop blessing 2 was more sensible (buying used S8F is hard as I'm in the UK and they're rare. New is possibly achiveable but would trigger a lot of buyers remorse at the cost.) or the LZ-A6 (which was the source of my enquiry to Penon detailed above.)

Somehow, during my research of the last two, I stumbled on this thread and am very interested now. The MMXC is a downer as I have a supply of 2-pins (I do need to change cables as I have issues with all cables and cause them to stiffen after about 6 months and I need to replace them - don't ask me what's going on but it just happens - if anyone remembers the Dunu 1K issue - I have that with everything.) But it's not a deal breaker.

I am fully aware of the law of diminishing returns but - are these in the same ball park as the S8F? I appreciate the cost difference of course and I don't expect miracles.
I have read in this thread that these would be chosen over BOTH the LZ-A6 and Blessing 2 - that seems to me to put it in reach of the all-conquering S8F.

For reference my collection has included RHA-T20, Trinity Icarus II (don't draw me in - I'm still waiting....,) Blon-03, iBasso IT01, KZ-ZS7, iSine 10 and Moondrop KPE.
My favourites are the KPE and IT01.

Sorry for the long post but, I'm looking for a noticeable improvement on my list and on the face of it, reading words like 'Gem', 'Endgame' and seeing winning comparisons to things on my wish-list I have to pay attention. The cost is such I'd have a little spare for a few MMCX cables. (I love the Faaeal ones given with the hibiscus, by the way, and are available as separate orders for sensible money)

I've read all this thread and have already answered some of my own questions but - not some much the comparisons upwards (especially to S8F in regards to being 'closer than you'd expect')

Feb 12, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #575 of 5,047
I'm very interested in the H40 and read the thread. Why is there a difference between the retired H40 and the new/real H40? How can I see on Aliexpress that I get the real ones?

Having researched as much as I can - the old (v1) models are not available any more but, they have a clear shell and black faceplate. If you get an all black (very dark purple/blue even maybe - black to all intents) it's the v2.

Feb 12, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #576 of 5,047

As far as I can tell... There is no longer available the "retired first version" of H40
ISN team were not very happy with the first version of H40 (tuning wise if I remember well), so decided to create another updated version of H40 which is now available. I don't think the first banch (version) is available anywhere right now but as far as I can remember it was an issue of the original tuning and not quality problem (anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this one).....

P. S.
I ve bought 25 years back F. S. O. L. lifeforms and still sounds amazing...

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #579 of 5,047
I do need to change cables as I have issues with all cables and cause them to stiffen after about 6 months and I need to replace them - don't ask me what's going on but it just happens

instead of asking, I'll tell ya. it's skin oils reacting with the PVC. Some TPU sheathed cables are more resistant to oil than PVC, but not all. Most PlusSound and EffectAudio turn to hardened spaghetti for me after 6 months. Yet... I have three cables that have passed the test of time and remain pliant. Triton Audio teflon sheathed 26awg (I own 2 of them), Satin Audio Griffin, and an entry level PlusSound (a 28awg 'ready to ship' variant). It's clearly a different insulation than what is on their standard exo series. The sheathing is a bit 'cloudy' (as is the Satin Griffin's) and springs a bit more than new PVC. But I can't complain with the longevity!

Feb 13, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #581 of 5,047
For reference my collection has included RHA-T20, Trinity Icarus II (don't draw me in - I'm still waiting....,) Blon-03, iBasso IT01, KZ-ZS7, iSine 10 and Moondrop KPE.
My favourites are the KPE and IT01.
Hi, if you like ibasso IT01 you will love the H40. way way better than IT01 in all aspects except size. But in spite of the shell size, it is still comfortable.
cheers, Jose

Feb 15, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #582 of 5,047
Anyone have the Shozy 1.4 and H40 in this thread? I would love to know, I also wish the H40 had a sale like the Shozy 1.4 for $150 on penon, that would be an instant buy for me. Or even a comparison to the 1.1. I know I’ve asked this already but I see in the 1.4 thread it seems more people have had the 1.4 arrive, wondering if deez nuts has had a pair shipped to him yet

Feb 15, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #583 of 5,047
Hi all, I'm new here, hope you guys don't mind my long message :D

Trying to get into mid-fi once again, I'm looking for an airy, good soundstage, good clarity, can be a bit cold or analytical IEM. One of my favorite IEMs was UE Triple Fi 10, and I'm not looking for one having an exactly identical signature, just listed it as a reference. I'm spending more and more time with Chinese vocal tracks, so it's great to have great mid & upper-mid too (TF10 is just not good at this...)

I'm thinking about these options - they are available in my local store:
1. ISN H40 (sure)
2. Moondrop Starfield / KXXS
3. Shozy BG
4. ikko OH10
5. iBasso IT01s
6. TinHifi T4
7. qdc Uranus -- I'm not sure about this...
8. Anything you suggest

Thank you!

Feb 15, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #585 of 5,047
Just read the thread and H40 seems like an impressive IEM. I'm going to buy Acoustune 1695 Ti based on a friend recommendation, actually. Wondering if anyone can compare between the two. Aware of the price difference, but if can get the same SQ with fraction of price, it will be great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back