ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Feb 8, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #541 of 5,047
I personally don't own the Red, but there has been nothing but positive feedback about it. It seems to be better than the original R2.
Perhaps the upcoming IMR EDP is an option for you as well. 10mm planar plus 9mm dynamic driver in a rather small and well isolating aluminum shell.
The pricing (204.99$ with the current conversion rate) is also identical to the H40, if you took the fast shipping. lol
Sadly there are no pics yet, they will be added until the end of this month.
Oh yes, I have my eyes on the EDP new model but have to wait until I see the pics as you mention.
Also, lurking at some Dunu DK2001 reviews, someone compared the DK2001 to the original IMR R2 and likes the R2 better than Dk 2001; so by extension, R2 Red seems to be a great option to me. Unfortunately, its price is above my range. So, either wait for a used R2 Red or be patient until ESP shows up in April.
Decisions.....

Feb 9, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #542 of 5,047
well I got a pair of these in trade and definitely have not gotten them to their full potential. Didn't know these were so well regarded.

Feb 9, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #543 of 5,047
A well deserved hype! This first entry IEM from ISN Audio is a banger for the price. Certainly reminds me of the iBasso IT04's sound, but more engaging and with a wider stage if my memory serves me right.

IMG_20200209_033556_907.jpg

Feb 9, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #544 of 5,047
If any of you guys ever had a pair of trinity Icarus III (hybrid config. as well), I always thought that Soundstage on them was a big ➕, quite big and especially deep... It was Trinity's last achievement just seconds before the holocaust that followed there......... Any of you have this iem, can make any comparison with H40??
i used to own trinity icarus 3 till i purchased an indo bud called heavenly cadenza 2 then got impressed by blon bl03... H40 is on another level. the trinity sound thin in comparison whatever filter you used..

Feb 9, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #545 of 5,047
i used to own trinity icarus 3 till i purchased an indo bud called heavenly cadenza 2 then got impressed by blon bl03... H40 is on another level. the trinity sound thin in comparison whatever filter you used..
Interesting point of view
Nevertheless, ICARUS III obtained a transparent midrange with strong vocal presentation (at least using the black/green filters), do you think on H40 the midrange demonstrates transparency?
P. S.
I am still waiting for mine to arrive..

Feb 9, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #547 of 5,047
DSC06961.JPG
IBasso is using higher end BAs and is more neutrally tuned in ear vs the H40. Is a bit wider sounding to me but I think it is due to the mids not being as forward as the H40. I am using the new ISN SC4 cable on the H40 which evens out the playing field a bit. H40 has a more fuller body of sound has a more forward mid range vs the IT04. Sounds more musical due to meatier sound. IT04 detail wise has the better precision and is more articulate in the treble region with better extension, sounds more higher end as it should be. Bass wise the quality of the bass on the IT04 is better and is speedier but the H40 has more quantity bass is a bit slower in the decay. The main difference is how the mids are portrayed. IT04 wins in detail retrieval but you also have to be a fan of neutrally tuned in ears. I don't find the H40 lacking in detail here but I can tell the higher quality BA the IT04 is using here.

If you own an IT04 is it worth getting a H40. Absolutely. They sound different to my ears. A more musical fuller bodied sounding IT04? Oh yea like that is a bad thing?

The shells on both are similar in size. Both throwing out wider stages for in ears.

Feb 9, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #548 of 5,047
By the way I just posted this https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/isn-sc4.24202/ It is my review of the ISN SC4 cables. The cables that are attached to the pic on my previous post. If you guys are curious what a higher end H40 could sound like I go into that with these cables. It is in every way an step up in sonics for the H40 and what was really surprising to me was toward the end of the review I used the cable on my Andromeda S. The crazy thing is my Andro S was using one of my best cables that cost almost double the SC4 and I really couldn't hear much of a difference between the two cables. Sure the cable is not cheap at $109, but considering it holds up its own against a $180 electro acousti hybrid cable. I was very surprised. Anyway take a read if your interested in what a higher end cable can do for the sonics on the H40.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #549 of 5,047

IBasso is using higher end BAs and is more neutrally tuned in ear vs the H40. Is a bit wider sounding to me but I think it is due to the mids not being as forward as the H40. I am using the new ISN SC4 cable on the H40 which evens out the playing field a bit. H40 has a more fuller body of sound has a more forward mid range vs the IT04. Sounds more musical due to meatier sound. IT04 detail wise has the better precision and is more articulate in the treble region with better extension, sounds more higher end as it should be. Bass wise the quality of the bass on the IT04 is better and is speedier but the H40 has more quantity bass is a bit slower in the decay. The main difference is how the mids are portrayed. IT04 wins in detail retrieval but you also have to be a fan of neutrally tuned in ears. I don't find the H40 lacking in detail here but I can tell the higher quality BA the IT04 is using here.

If you own an IT04 is it worth getting a H40. Absolutely. They sound different to my ears. A more musical fuller bodied sounding IT04? Oh yea like that is a bad thing?

The shells on both are similar in size. Both throwing out wider stages for in ears.

Thank You @Dsnuts.
I owned IT04. I really liked the sound of Ibasso iems's especially with CB13 cable. I had to sell bacause of ergonomics. The sleeve was too long and too thick. During longer sessions there was little discomfort.

By the way I just posted this https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/isn-sc4.24202/ It is my review of the ISN SC4 cables. The cables that are attached to the pic on my previous post. If you guys are curious what a higher end H40 could sound like I go into that with these cables. It is in every way an step up in sonics for the H40 and what was really surprising to me was toward the end of the review I used the cable on my Andromeda S. The crazy thing is my Andro S was using one of my best cables that cost almost double the SC4 and I really couldn't hear much of a difference between the two cables. Sure the cable is not cheap at $109, but considering it holds up its own against a $180 electro acousti hybrid cable. I was very surprised. Anyway take a read if your interested in what a higher end cable can do for the sonics on the H40.

This cable could be a good alternative to check with others iems too.

Feb 10, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #551 of 5,047
Sure the cable is not cheap at $109, but considering it holds up its own against a $180 electro acousti hybrid cable.
Thanks for your recommendation, but the only thing to me is that you compare the 175 with 8 cores. The 4 cores version cost the same as the SC4. I think sonically it will anyway sound the same between 4 or 8 cores at least plugged into balanced mode (as the H40 looks not having much impedence (22ohm) :)

Feb 10, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #552 of 5,047
Sure there is less material on the SC4 but I am talking about just sound differences. I have to compare both of them more but from my comparison using my Andromeda S yesterday. The sound difference was not much. I had to go back n forth several times and even then it was very subtle. I think the 175 still has the edge as far as what that cable does but if you didn't have both cables on hand to compare them, it would be hard to hear differences in what both cables do. Very similar in effect of how they infulence the earphone to sound. I want to say the SC4 has a bit more inflence in the bass, 175 has the best influence on stage but otherwise both cables are trading blows equally really. I would have a hard time differenciating which cable is which on a blind test. Shows you how good the SC4 cable is. I would say it is at least 95% of the 175 in what it does. That is astounding.

Feb 10, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #553 of 5,047
Sure there is less material on the SC4 but I am talking about just sound differences. I have to compare both of them more but from my comparison using my Andromeda S yesterday. The sound difference was not much. I had to go back n forth several times and even then it was very subtle. I think the 175 still has the edge as far as what that cable does but if you didn't have both cables on hand to compare them, it would be hard to hear differences in what both cables do. Very similar in effect of how they infulence the earphone to sound. I want to say the SC4 has a bit more inflence in the bass, 175 has the best influence on stage but otherwise both cables are trading blows equally really. I would have a hard time differenciating which cable is which on a blind test. Shows you how good the SC4 cable is. I would say it is at least 95% of the 175 in what it does. That is astounding.
Bro..
Currently waiting for H40 to arrive,
Allready have ISN H16 cable(2.5mm trrs) - - (currently stucked on Fiio FA7).
Do you think it would make a difference soundwise to use H16 cable on H40 instead of the stock cable that comes along there???

Feb 10, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #555 of 5,047
I can try that at home for you. I use higher end cables on the H40 but it should give even a fuller bigger sound using that H-16 cable. Will let you know when I try that at home later on today.
Please do bro
I can try that at home for you. I use higher end cables on the H40 but it should give even a fuller bigger sound using that H-16 cable. Will let you know when I try that at home later on today.
Please do
Thanks for your feedback

Users who are viewing this thread

Back