ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Jun 19, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #3,616 of 5,041
When you finally write up your review, please compare to the Onyx, Hook X and the Bax amongst others. Incidentally if you have auditioned the Monarch mk1/2 add that to the mix. Is that the Green colour you chose?
Thank-you so much for the suggestions. I will most likely do an ONYX comparison; the Bax is in the works. I will maybe get you PM regarding the HOOK-X comparison.

Haven't heard Monarch MK1 or 2. Yes, green is the color!

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #3,617 of 5,041
Nice pics.... How are you liking the ISN's?? I was just using the EST50 out of 4.4 on the WM1A.
Thank-you. Well it's quite the adventure. I'm just about at the 90 hour mark and both the H40 and ISN EST50 seem to be opening-up. One thing has been the cable change-outs. But yes, the WM1A has a special synergy with the EST50, the way the inherent boost of the 1A midrange seems to almost counteract the EST50 tuning, bringing a new level of involvement. Crazy as you would maybe guess............the silver hybrid TANSIO MARAI "Sands" cable does a great upper midrange boost add as well as the WM1A boost to mids. Still the EST50 though ultimately has its own unmovable sound character regardless of tips, cable and DAP. IMO

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #3,618 of 5,041
Funny thing - my ISN H40s sounded like an entire BA driver failed on each and Penon suggested I pop open the grills. Sure enough that fine mesh had clogged - ear wax and glue had combined into some weird blue gunk. When I remove the grills entirely the sound is not only restored, but there is a bit more detail in there.

Can anyone suggest where to source 4.7mm grills for the ISN H40s for the US? I'd prefer something shorter than shipping from overseas:

I have no idea which of these are good bets:
* Alixpress (with many options in the related products area)
* ebay (had to scroll a while, maybe I'm not using the right search term)

I'll go rummage through my old crappy headphones that have failed to see if I can repurpose something else in the meantime
I was finally able to get to this today. Grabbed filter grills that are less restrictive than the stock ISN H40 ones from an unused set of SoundMagic ES18 headphones and popped them in the ISN H40.

Like @DynamicEars and others said...this is a great mod! I'm not one to claim sounds differences from cables and such, but the grill mod really makes a subtle but wonderful difference. And it makes sense - if a little earwax or adhesive can clog up the stock filter grills to the point of completely blocking the highs, then the stock filter grills are probably too restrictive.

The ISN H40 not only sound slightly more resolving and transparent, but they also still sound silky smooth.

Jun 20, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #3,619 of 5,041
I was finally able to get to this today. Grabbed filter grills that are less restrictive than the stock ISN H40 ones from an unused set of SoundMagic ES18 headphones and popped them in the ISN H40.

Like @DynamicEars and others said...this is a great mod! I'm not one to claim sounds differences from cables and such, but the grill mod really makes a subtle but wonderful difference. And it makes sense - if a little earwax or adhesive can clog up the stock filter grills to the point of completely blocking the highs, then the stock filter grills are probably too restrictive.

The ISN H40 not only sound slightly more resolving and transparent, but they also still sound silky smooth.

The damper they are using is made from nylon, similar like we found on other chifis, this is bad damper, especially for bass part. Blocked airflow made bass bloated, while dont to much to high frequency area. The H40 need to be dampened on 7-8khz, high density foam is better suit for that.
This nylon or paper damper that blocking entire nozzle is suits to smoothen 2-4khz area, with trade of bloated and smeared bass of course. They need to properly tune the IEM instead of relying on this nylon / paper damper. Foam is the better material at least to my research.
And at the first place, H40 don't have peaks on high mids 2-4 khz. Surely the H40 have big potential, enjoy yours!

Jun 21, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #3,620 of 5,041
Jun 21, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #3,622 of 5,041
Jun 21, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #3,623 of 5,041
Jun 23, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #3,624 of 5,041
ISN H40 review up in a few days.
wonder .jpeg
contrast .jpg
new 37.jpeg six.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #3,625 of 5,041
Jul 2, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #3,626 of 5,041
Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #3,627 of 5,041
Penon OS133 OFC Silver-plated HiFi Audiophile Cable 2 pin X 4.4mm.

Showing substantial up-scaling?

4.4mm copy.jpgDetail mmcx 2 pin.jpegTEXTURE copy.jpgDSC_0007.JPG
And with that price?!?! It's a no-brainer!

Jul 3, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #3,629 of 5,041
Jul 16, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #3,630 of 5,041
Hello dear fellow headfiers!
I have joined the club recently with ISN H50 (just got mine a month ago:darthsmile:)
My impressions so far are really positive...
I'm in no means professional musician or audiophile, but recently I got into this hobby and I really appreciate this forum with all these nice reviews, recommendations, etc.
I really gotta thank @Ichos and specifically @Dsnuts for recommending me these! Coming from FD5 I found these really musical and resolving,big sound stage, nice thumpy low end and exceptional mids. They're both sound great and I guess it depends on the mood and preferences but I really love what each earphone brings to the table, lol.
I'm so glad I found this thread and I can't thank enough @Dsnuts for every recommendation and quick responses he gives
Thank you so much and if you need a great sounding phones go ahead with ISN. Really impressed :gs1000smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back