ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Jun 10, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #3,601 of 5,044
The phones you listed all are competent phones, all having different approaches to sound. Volts are slightly more mid centeric in how it is tuned with the bass and treble accenting its focus with a large wide stage. The FH9 is more energetic in approach to its tuning a large spacious broad v shaped tuning. I would say detail wise these sets are comparable but their presentations are more different than similar. Volts have exquisite rich tonal qualities that makes them unique among tribrids. If you value vocals and or acoustical richness and a fuller note weight Volts stand tall as one of the richest full bodied sounds around. The FH9 is also got a large big sound but it is more based on its bass presence with ample treble with very good detailed presentation. Its got excellent technicalities and detail but is more based on a fun and energetic signature with a foundation for its sound based more on bass and its treble emphasis.

SA6 and H50 I mentioned before and I do consider the SA6 a higher tier of earphone above the H50 but for sheer enjoyment thats where the H50 gets more closer. SA6 looses out to the volt and FH9 in both stage and scope of sound. But the SA6 has its own tuning that is more focused on harmon neutrality vs the the more colored earphones on your list. If you want a highly detailed monitor in the price range of the H50. I would look into the Tansio Mirai Sands.

If you want something that is more musical in approach that is where something like the H50 and even more so the Volts and I would put the FH9 in that mix as well comes into play. The SA6 is the most neutral out of all these earphones but has some very good imaging and detail going for it.

All the phones mentioned here has their merits and it will be more of a matter of what your looking for in a monitor more so than what is more detailed vs another as they are completely different sounding and competent in their own ways.
I love detailed IEMs that still have nice Bass presence. I guess a nice W tuning would be a good description if you check my signature.
Would you say the FH9 is overpriced compared to the Sands? From your review of the Sands, it seems like a detail monster at a very good price.

Jun 10, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #3,602 of 5,044
Well the FH9 has a similar type sound to the MEST of all earphones you own so I don't know if getting the FH9 will be something your gonna need. This being said,k I do think they are a good phone for the price. Who don't like large spacious detailed fun energetic sounding earphones. The Sands however for the price seems to be exactly what you like in a sound signature.

They do require some time to get the source, cables and tips correct on them but once you do they will sing like no other in your collection.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #3,603 of 5,044
The phones you listed all are competent phones, all having different approaches to sound. Volts are slightly more mid centeric in how it is tuned with the bass and treble accenting its focus with a large wide stage. The FH9 is more energetic in approach to its tuning a large spacious broad v shaped tuning. I would say detail wise these sets are comparable but their presentations are more different than similar. Volts have exquisite rich tonal qualities that makes them unique among tribrids. If you value vocals and or acoustical richness and a fuller note weight Volts stand tall as one of the richest full bodied sounds around. The FH9 is also got a large big sound but it is more based on its bass presence with ample treble with very good detailed presentation. Its got excellent technicalities and detail but is more based on a fun and energetic signature with a foundation for its sound based more on bass and its treble emphasis.

SA6 and H50 I mentioned before and I do consider the SA6 a higher tier of earphone above the H50 but for sheer enjoyment thats where the H50 gets more closer. SA6 looses out to the volt and FH9 in both stage and scope of sound. But the SA6 has its own tuning that is more focused on harmon neutrality vs the the more colored earphones on your list. If you want a highly detailed monitor in the price range of the H50. I would look into the Tansio Mirai Sands.

If you want something that is more musical in approach that is where something like the H50 and even more so the Volts and I would put the FH9 in that mix as well comes into play. The SA6 is the most neutral out of all these earphones but has some very good imaging and detail going for it.

All the phones mentioned here has their merits and it will be more of a matter of what your looking for in a monitor more so than what is more detailed vs another as they are completely different sounding and competent in their own ways.
Thank you very much mate, your comparison is very helpful.

I seem to prefer rich vocals with good bass with bass being the higher priority, which makes me lean towards the H50, as FH9 seems to be have a dry midrange according to some of the posts I have read elsewhere. Is that true?

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #3,604 of 5,044
I have a feeling FH9 is using some mid range Knowles BA drivers as its tonality is a bit on the dry side especially when your coming from something like the Volts which uses Sonion BAs with its rich tonal character. That bit of dryness also coensides with its BA timbre which is clearly evident on the FH9 but otherwise I feel they are worth their price point. Not too many earphones at the price that has the stage and presence of much higher end flagship earphones at that price range. It is Fiios version of the sony IER-Z1R or the UM Mest for that matter. It falls into that energetic big sounding IEMs category.

Jun 12, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #3,605 of 5,044
I have a feeling FH9 is using some mid range Knowles BA drivers as its tonality is a bit on the dry side especially when your coming from something like the Volts which uses Sonion BAs with its rich tonal character. That bit of dryness also coensides with its BA timbre which is clearly evident on the FH9 but otherwise I feel they are worth their price point. Not too many earphones at the price that has the stage and presence of much higher end flagship earphones at that price range. It is Fiios version of the sony IER-Z1R or the UM Mest for that matter. It falls into that energetic big sounding IEMs category.
Thanks man!

Have you tried EQ on BA sets. I wonder how BAs respond to EQing low end, especially Akiba since it has two vented Sonion BAs for bass.

Jun 14, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #3,606 of 5,044
Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #3,607 of 5,044
H40
DSC_0065.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #3,608 of 5,044
EST50
est 3.jpeg 34.jpeg 2.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #3,609 of 5,044
EST50
DSC_0040.jpeg

Jun 17, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #3,610 of 5,044
ISN H40
h40 one.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #3,611 of 5,044
ISN EST50
xord.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #3,612 of 5,044
ISN EST50
1E4A8E35-7CE0-4D9F-99AD-7A323DE00938.jpeg

Jun 18, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #3,613 of 5,044
Nice pics.... How are you liking the ISN's?? I was just using the EST50 out of 4.4 on the WM1A.

Jun 19, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #3,615 of 5,044
ISN EST50
1E4A8E35-7CE0-4D9F-99AD-7A323DE00938.jpeg
When you finally write up your review, please compare to the Onyx, Hook X and the Bax amongst others. Incidentally if you have auditioned the Monarch mk1/2 add that to the mix. Is that the Green colour you chose?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back