ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Jan 8, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #286 of 5,044
While waiting for the H40 to arrive, I am considering to buy a bluetooth DAC amplifier. My question is, will I get better sound quality from a BT DAC, or from the 3.5 port of my MacBook Pro?And while using an iPhone? The BT protocol will not reduce the SQ, even at a high rate? Or because it is a DAC, it will improve? My main music source is Apple Music.

Jan 8, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #288 of 5,044
How long does penon take to get to the USA? Anyone know?
about 2 weeks. My lastest orders from them:
Date Ordered: 12/04/2019 - Delivered on December 16, 2019
Date Ordered: 12/22/2019 - Delivered on January 4, 2020

on a sidenote; Penon customer service always replies very fast. Their reliability? not so great.
my S4 cable is kinda messed up with the right mmcx connector is much more difficult to plug in than the left one. I actually worry it could damage my IEM female mmcx lot too. The ring of the mmcx connector is slighty bigger on the right side.
Although it's not Penon's fault, I sent an email to let them know so they can report to ISN about QC. I wasn't being pissed asking for a refund or replacement or anything. Penon sent me a reply day later, asking for picture. I sent them one.
20200106_214201_HDR-01 (1).jpeg
And this is a reply
wth (1).jpg

I don't really get what they were saying but it sounds like they just told me to fix it myself. What the heck lol.
I guess this is my only option:
31kx55b4dhb31.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #289 of 5,044
While waiting for the H40 to arrive, I am considering to buy a bluetooth DAC amplifier. My question is, will I get better sound quality from a BT DAC, or from the 3.5 port of my MacBook Pro?And while using an iPhone? The BT protocol will not reduce the SQ, even at a high rate? Or because it is a DAC, it will improve? My main music source is Apple Music.
As far as I know, you'll get better results with a dedicated DAC than the headphone port of any laptop. I'd consider the ES100 if I was in the market for a bluetooth unit (lots of options, excellent sound quality and a balanced output). It could pair very well with the HS40 :wink:

Jan 8, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #290 of 5,044
about 2 weeks. My lastest orders from them:
Date Ordered: 12/04/2019 - Delivered on December 16, 2019
Date Ordered: 12/22/2019 - Delivered on January 4, 2020

on a sidenote; Penon customer service always replies very fast. Their reliability? not so great.
my S4 cable is kinda messed up with the right mmcx connector is much more difficult to plug in than the left one. I actually worry it could damage my IEM female mmcx lot too. The ring of the mmcx connector is slighty bigger on the right side.
Although it's not Penon's fault, I sent an email to let them know so they can report to ISN about QC. I wasn't being pissed asking for a refund or replacement or anything. Penon sent me a reply day later, asking for picture. I sent them one.

And this is a reply

I don't really get what they were saying but it sounds like they just told me to fix it myself. What the heck lol.
I guess this is my only option:

You should try this.
10373835.jpg

Tightens the ring portion. slide the ring portion down a fork. We should call this. Forking yourself.

Jan 8, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #292 of 5,044
Oh dang. That isnt good. I saw that post on the FH7 thread a while back.Reversely if you feel your mmcx is a bit loose you can use a sharp pair of thin scissors to pry open the ring a touch which tightens how your mmcx fits.

The fork trick works. I have done this on a few of my cables.

Jan 9, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #294 of 5,044
IMG_20200109_000142~2.jpg
I can't thank you guys enough for recommending this IEM. Thank you & for those I pm.

I listened to my DM6 v2 and retired H40 for the whole day (edit: not literally the whole day but I set aside the revised H40 and listened to DM6 and retired H40 intensively) and I actually really like both of them. I like the DM6 v2 a little better than retired H40. Then just a while ago, I tried the revised/new H40 and frick.. I suck at explaining the sound but it just destroys the DM6 v2! Every sound it produces is very high quality with amazing timbre, body, and sense of space. The details on the H40 made the details on my DM6 v2 sound fuzzy or cloudy.The soundstage is very immersive and can sound effortlessly large. The soundstage imaging is just so effortless too. I am loving the soundstage more and more now. Revised H40 just made my DM6 v2 sound distant (like in a tin-can) and less lively when I first thought it was lively. Every sound has like more emotions to it.

Now that I found my new daily driver, I need an analytical IEM for quick dissecting listening lol. I'll be back next year for it. Peaaace out!

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #295 of 5,044
kinda funny that the cable they put on retired H40s is actually have some quality connectors. The plug and splitter are similar to the ones they use in their 4-series. The mmcx connectors are even better, cause they even have locking mechanism on. Can't comment on the wire quality, but they look like the so-called 19-strands "OCC copper" wire.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #298 of 5,044
kinda funny that the cable they put on retired H40s is actually have some quality connectors. The plug and splitter are similar to the ones they use in their 4-series. The mmcx connectors are even better, cause they even have locking mechanism on. Can't comment on the wire quality, but they look like the so-called 19-strands "OCC copper" wire.
Yes I've just use those to connect to the final version H40 and I thought Jesus they are easy to click! In fact much better than the ISN cable connectors. So we the early birds got two iems and two quality cables!

Jan 9, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #299 of 5,044
Was about to spring for the Obravo Cupid... & then I came across these.

Any comparisons welcome...
Cupid is unmitigated disaster. Keep away!

Jan 9, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #300 of 5,044
Anyone knows if this version of ISN H40 which appears now on PENON's is the updated newest version of this model???
Must be because I ordered one of the last combo with recalled H40 as a bonus. My discontinued h40 was DOA though. I think ISN redid h40 because of poor assembly quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back