ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Jan 6, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #258 of 5,044
I just picked up my new Hiby R5 yesterday. I've listened to the H40 on my Fiio X5iii, fiio M7, and Ibasso DX160, but the synergy with the R5 is in a different league.

You're right. I just grabbed the R5 because of your post, and holy crap, the H40s sound stupidly good with the R5.

20200106_135532_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #261 of 5,044
Probably the best PRAT I have heard in an iem. I have to agree on this statement. That punchy bass! Gotta love it.

Yeah agree the PRaT on those is fantastic, but it’s more because of the body and weight down low and nice energy up top than the speed in this case.

Jan 6, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #262 of 5,044
Jan 6, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #264 of 5,044
How the H40 compared to M7 even they have different signature?
M7s are neutral-warm while H40s are warm. They both having inoffensive treble, with M7s got more resolutions. Better drivers, I guess. Mid on M7 is for forwarded, so vocal feel more presented. If I put 0 for neutral note's weight, M7 vocal is about 2 and H40 about 0.5. H40's mid isn't recessed by any means. The vocal stays a bit further in the background, but note's weight is still pretty solid though. Again, H40's mid not as detailed as M7. Sony did good on the bass department of the M7. They got the attack and decay of a dynamic driver, though, bass still doesn't go as deep and impactful as a dynamic driver. On the other hand, H40's bass is hella good. All you can ask for from a dynamic drivers. You can just feel the physical impact from them. Bass's quality and quantity are better on the H40s. H40s got a wider soundstage, but not as deep the M7s. M7s's soundfield is kinda like a sphere, very holographic. Having better quality driver, M7s got better separation. Anyway, both the H40s and M7s are very balanced sounding IEMs, with M7s sound clearer than the H40s. However, instruments placement of H40s is pretty distant. Combining with the solid notes weight they have, Everything just sounds so big, not loud though, but big, grand sounding.

Also a quick comparison was done last night between the H40, M7, CE-5. T88k, A8, Angie 1, Shozy star 2 and ibasso IT03.
Please excuse my bad writing. I suck at it.
1578288425348.jpg
treble: ce-5 got a lot of sparkles in high, but everything is so controlled that it never sounds harsh, just pure exciting. A8 is quite airy with good resolution and separation as the cost of note's weight(note's is a bit thin for my liking). H40s hit the middle spot between being harsh or muffled. great for long listening session. not the most exciting treble though.
midrange: ier-m7, star ii and angie i have forward vocal; solid note weight, good timbre with some resolutions. A8 and ce-5 got really transparent midrange. although they're too thin for my taste. Also timbre on the ce-5 is quite unnatural. H40's vocal sits a bit behind in the background, it doesn't feel too in-your-face like the m7. having some weights on it. H40's vocal doesn't get drowned in the music. good timbre with decent resolution, it sounds natural.
bass: ce-5 got the best bass; bass goes deep with great textures and never out of controlled. H40 and IT03 got quite similar bass. impactful and punchy like how a dynamic driver should be. H40 got more bass quantity than IT03, same quality. they don't go as deep as the ce-5. m7 and t88k having such nice bass for BA. move more air than your typical, with decay of a DD. still, not as deep and punchy like a DD. A8 and star ii got bloated bass; they have some quantity but not thumpy like a DD.
soundstage: ce-5, H40, t88k, angie I and have wide soundstage, with ce-5, A8 and m7 having better depth. H40s don't fall too behind. It's just H40's notes are very solid, so you actually feel like surrounded by music. poops sound big(not loud), listening to epic soundtrack is very enjoyable. the same with T88k. They got speaker-like presentation.

Biggest weakness of the H40s probably is its resolution. But heck, I'm comparing them with IEMs at least triple the cost. I'm not gonna lie, but I enjoy using the H40s to listen thru the Youtube app on my G8/R5 more than I should. I'm shameless.

Biggest achievement? ISN was actually able to pull off such a mature tuning that is almost nonexistent in the sub $500 chifi market. V-shaped full BA, V-shaped single DD, everything is V-shaped. H40s sound very balanced while still remain being fun as s̶e̶x̶u̶a̶l̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶e̶r̶c̶o̶u̶r̶s̶e̶ hell. Tansio Mirai also did very good with their TSMR-3 Pro/4-Pro, though they're more studio corrected sounding.

I'm desperately trying to get something under the $1000 price tag with CE-5 bass, treble, soundstage with M7's mid. Show me some mercy, the IEM God. Maybe someday I'll lay me hands on the Z1R though.

edit: updated to make it's more virgin-friendly

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #266 of 5,044
From what I heard, the TE5B got even thinner mid. TE5T has better mid but less bass than the CE-5.
kinda suck that there're no other way to try on different IEMs in North America beside of blind buys.
I went to JP last year, and even both e-earphone stores in Tokyo and Osaka didn't have any Hyla products for demo'ing. Should have picked up a pair of Oriolus MK2 when I was there, if I didn't spend most of my money on drinking though.

Jan 6, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #267 of 5,044
M7s are neutral-warm while H40s are warm. They both having inoffensive treble, with M7s got more resolutions. Better drivers, I guess. Mid on M7 is for forwarded, so vocal feel more presented. If I put 0 for neutral note's weight, M7 vocal is about 2 and H40 about 0.5. H40's mid isn't recessed by any means. The vocal stays a bit further in the background, but note's weight is still pretty solid though. Again, H40's mid not as detailed as M7. Sony did good on the bass department of the M7. They got the attack and decay of a dynamic driver, though, bass still doesn't go as deep and impactful as a dynamic driver. On the other hand, H40's bass is hella good. All you can ask for from a dynamic drivers. You can just feel the physical impact from them. Bass's quality and quantity are better on the H40s. H40s got a wider soundstage, but not as deep the M7s. M7s's soundfield is kinda like a sphere, very holographic. Having better quality driver, M7s got better separation. Anyway, both the H40s and M7s are very balanced sounding IEMs, with M7s sound clearer than the H40s. However, instruments placement of H40s is pretty distant. Combining with the solid notes weight they have, Everything just sounds so big, not loud though, but big, grand sounding.

Also a quick comparison was done last night between the H40, M7, CE-5. T88k, A8, Angie 1, Shozy star 2 and ibasso IT03.

treble: ce-5 got a lot of sparkles in high, but everything is so controlled that it never sounds harsh, just pure exciting. A8 is quite airy with good resolution and separation as the cost of note's weight(note's is a bit thin for my liking). H40s hit the middle spot between being harsh or muffled. great for long listening session. not the most exciting treble though.
midrange: ier-m7, star ii and angie i have forward vocal; solid note weight, good timbre with some resolutions. A8 and ce-5 got really transparent midrange. although they're too thin for my taste. Also timbre on the ce-5 is quite unnatural. H40's vocal sits a bit behind in the background, it doesn't feel too in-your-face like the m7. having some weights on it. H40's vocal doesn't get drowned in the music. good timbre with decent resolution, it sounds natural.
bass: ce-5 got the best bass; bass goes deep with great textures and never out of controlled. H40 and IT03 got quite similar bass. impactful and punchy like how a dynamic driver should be. H40 got more bass quantity than IT03, same quality. they don't go as deep as the ce-5. m7 and t88k having such nice bass for BA. move more air than your typical, with decay of a DD. still, not as deep and punchy like a DD. A8 and star ii got bloated bass; they have some quantity but not thumpy like a DD.
soundstage: ce-5, H40, t88k, angie I and have wide soundstage, with ce-5, A8 and m7 having better depth. H40s don't fall too behind. It's just H40's notes are very solid, so you actually feel like surrounded by music. poops sound big(not loud), listening to epic soundtrack is very enjoyable. the same with T88k. They got speaker-like presentation.

Biggest weakness of the H40s probably is its resolution. But heck, I'm comparing them with IEMs at least triple the cost. I'm not gonna lie, but I enjoy using the H40s to listen thru the Youtube app on my G8/R5 more than I should. I'm shameless.

Biggest achievement? ISN was actually able to pull off such a mature tuning that is almost nonexistent in the sub $500 chifi market. V-shaped full BA, V-shaped single DD, everything is V-shaped. H40s sound very balanced while still remain being fun as sexual intercourse. Tansio Mirai also did it very good with their TSMR-3 Pro/4-Pro, though they're more studio corrected sounding.

I'm desperately trying to get something under the $1000 price tag with CE-5 bass, treble, soundstage with M7's mid. Show me some mercy, the IEM God. Maybe someday I'll lay me hands on the Z1R though.

really appreciate your very detailed comparisons, didn't expect a complete explanation like this and i can imagine how the H40 roughly from comparison with M7. I'm sold

Jan 7, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #268 of 5,044
Anyone knows if this version of ISN H40 which appears now on PENON's is the updated newest version of this model???

Jan 7, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #269 of 5,044
Anyone knows if this version of ISN H40 which appears now on PENON's is the updated newest version of this model???

should be, because previously on penon, they sold it with free old version of H40, now the freebies are gone, so should be the newer one on sale

Jan 7, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #270 of 5,044

Biggest achievement? ISN was actually able to pull off such a mature tuning that is almost nonexistent in the sub $500 chifi market. V-shaped full BA, V-shaped single DD, everything is V-shaped. H40s sound very balanced while still remain being fun as sexual intercourse. Tansio Mirai also did very good with their TSMR-3 Pro/4-Pro, though they're more studio corrected sounding.

Is this not the first time an iem is compared to sexual intercourse! LOL. Just got them today and they sound fantastic out of the box. Totally agree with you. what was amazing was I listened to the testing unit first and yes I also agree with the previous reviewer saying how different they sound compared to the final products. (I must be one of the last ones to get the testing unit cos it's now not included)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back