ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Jan 4, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #226 of 5,053
Great review! Thanks!!! Do you think it needs a lot of power or an iPhone/MacBook Pro will be enough?

I haven’t tested... but I’ll give it a run on my MacBook Pro this week-end and report.

I do suspect that the H40 will love decent power and something like iBasso DC01/02 or a good quality dongle will help greatly... too bad I can’t test on the AAW Capri cable as it’s a 2pin I have handy.

Jan 4, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #227 of 5,053
Great review! Thanks!!! Do you think it needs a lot of power or an iPhone/MacBook Pro will be enough?
I'll too will try it with different sources and report back. I have 3 outputs I can use: the 3.5mm jack of the Zenfone 6, the Sabre DAC of my GT73 and the 2.5mm of the DC01.

I am already set with adapters (the ones from Rhapsodio) but honestly, I never use them as I find them uncomfortable... it’s good for testing synergy and decide if you’ll get the mmcx variant... other than that not convenient.

I’ll try with the Zen 8 wire from Hansound I have but honestly the stock cable is great.
Yeah, the Rhapsodio ones seem quite bulky and unconvenient. The ones from Penon look smaller but still it would increase the length of the connector barrel and make things awkward, like 2 antennae sticking out of your ears lol.

Jan 4, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #228 of 5,053
H40 direct upgrade to the DM6. I loved my DM6 for a year. The H40 is better in every way possible. Enjoy

Every way possible? Hmm maybe it's time I upgrade from my dm6 too. I had the dm6 for over a year now, and still love them. But I want to experience a hybrid iem.
Agreed. Did a comparison earlier - ISN H40 vs DM6 + ISN S8. The H40 is just superior to the DM6 and it is in another league. It easily triumphs the DM6 in all aspects with more impactful bass, clearer midrange, airier treble and bigger soundstage.

Jan 4, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #229 of 5,053
So I need help. Recently purchased atlas, imr rah, and ikko oh10. Allowing myself 1 more either the shouer tape or this. I’m a soundstage and imaging nut, but I hate rolled off treble or piercing treble. Thoughts?
dont get the current Tape too risky with the QC issues and they are working on a new Tape to fix it. It also has a 3,5k HZ peak that might be sibilant and they just released the Shuoer Singer ( have no idea if its better than the current tape but it costs like 70 usd instead). Cant comment on the H40 as I dont have it.

Jan 4, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #231 of 5,053
Jan 4, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #232 of 5,053
20200104_171938_HDR-01.jpeg
Orginal H40 - Updated H40 - ISN S4

I tried the orignal H40 first, sounds just like any other Chifi IEMs at the $200 price range. It got flaws, but bass actually quite nice.

Then the updated H40. Everything just sounds corrected. There's nothing crazy about it that makes people saying "these beats those X flagship IEMs in the Y department but cost Z dollars less". It's not gonna be a hypetrain for the H40. But sure as hell that the H40s sound solid. High isn't crazily detailed, so they don't sound harsh and overly bright. Midrange isn't especially transparent, but it got some weights making a very natural sounding vocal. Bass is punchy and impactful, like how a DD should be. Would be nice if bass can go deeper with more textures, but ISN did great for a $200 unit. Notes sound solid, making music very fun and lively. The H40s sound good, no doubt.

Jan 4, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #233 of 5,053
I was testing out my H40 recently using ISNs own AG8 pure silver cable. Unreal how much sub bass comes alive with this cable. It rumbles like a champ. I am certain with some usage/ burn in the dynamic actually has more ability in the bass region. It is not the fastest bass but when you want to hear them bass notes, it comes to play. Love the bass end of the H40.

Jan 4, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #234 of 5,053
I pulled the trigger on these. My first IEM above 100€! Fingers crossed
You are in for a treat!

Orginal H40 - Updated H40 - ISN S4

I tried the orignal H40 first, sounds just like any other Chifi IEMs at the $200 price range. It got flaws, but bass actually quite nice.

Then the updated H40. Everything just sounds corrected. There's nothing crazy about it that makes people saying "these beats those X flagship IEMs in the Y department but cost Z dollars less". It's not gonna be a hypetrain for the H40. But sure as hell that the H40s sound solid. High isn't crazily detailed, so they don't sound harsh and overly bright. Midrange isn't especially transparent, but it got some weights making a very natural sounding vocal. Bass is punchy and impactful, like how a DD should be. Would be nice if bass can go deeper with more textures, but ISN did great for a $200 unit. Notes sound solid, making music very fun and lively. The H40s sound good, no doubt.
It sure is a solid IEM and I recommend very highly.

Jan 5, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #236 of 5,053
Soo which iem is more technical the fdx1 or h40? Are the Mids on the fdx1 more forward?

When I auditioned them (with the max damping) I found the FDX1 had tighter bass and a leaner signature overall, with more neutral and forward mids that I found more articulate but the H40 is the fun one, with a warmer tilt and a softer attack that makes it probably less fatiguing as well. The H40 less forward mids helps a much deeper soundstage (and for that matter much bigger soundstage in all directions).

I haven’t played at all with the filter on FDX1 and it’s only a quick audition but this is how I read things.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #237 of 5,053
When I auditioned them (with the max damping) I found the FDX1 had tighter bass and a leaner signature overall, with more neutral and forward mids that I found more articulate but the H40 is the fun one, with a warmer tilt and a softer attack that makes it probably less fatiguing as well. The H40 less forward mids helps a much deeper soundstage (and for that matter much bigger soundstage in all directions).

I haven’t played at all with the filter on FDX1 and it’s only a quick audition but this is how I read things.
That's a shame because from that I can tell the h40 is definitely not for me as I like non recessed mids and a clear technical sound that is full bodied without any additional smoothness that would bore the sound for me. I have the fdx1 and in stock form it is the most technical and realistic iem I have ever heard. My only 2 problems with them would be soundstage and the slightly lean presentation but I am hoping dsnuts cable recommendation would help migitate those problems with the isn s16 cable.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #239 of 5,053
Nabillion 786: Who said the mids were recessed? The mids are most definitely not recessed. Just because one earphone is quoted to have "More" forward mids, does not make the H40's mids recessed.
The only reason I thought that is because the fdx1 sounded neutral and in line with everything for me soo I naturally thought the mids would be recessed but your probably right as no one has really eluded to recessed mids. However, I am also seeking that crystal clear clarity the fdx1 has but more body and stage (hopefully the cable will resolve those issues). In the meantime i will sit back and monitor the h40 and Tri i3 as they have certainly peaked my interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back