ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Jan 2, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #196 of 5,044
These aren't confined sounding if that is what your worried about. FH5 had average amount of stage imo. Their vocal forwardness doesn't help with how one perceives stage on them. For in ears the H40 has a larger stage. Don't expect headphone like stage but again for in ears compared to other in ears these have a wider deeper sound profile which adds to their engagement factor.

These aren't an analytical type of sounding earphone. It has really good detail but the way they designed the sound it has a very 3D like imaging to the sound which again adds to the engagement factor. There are earphones you can pick apart every little detail in a track. These aren't those but I bet you will absolutely be carried away from your favorite track when listening to these.

And for me. That is what this hobby is all about.

Jan 2, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #197 of 5,044
These aren't confined sounding if that is what your worried about. FH5 had average amount of stage imo. Their vocal forwardness doesn't help with how one perceives stage on them. For in ears the H40 has a larger stage. Don't expect headphone like stage but again for in ears compared to other in ears these have a wider deeper sound profile which adds to their engagement factor.

These aren't an analytical type of sounding earphone. It has really good detail but the way they designed the sound it has a very 3D like imaging to the sound which again adds to the engagement factor. There are earphones you can pick apart every little detail in a track. These aren't those but I bet you will absolutely be carried away from your favorite track when listening to these.

And for me. That is what this hobby is all about.
Yes! This answers everything. I ordered it this morning and I'm happy I did. Thank you:D

The comparison helps a lot

I did want an analytical earphone but if this really has a 3d imaging I'm happy with it.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #198 of 5,044
Looking forward to see how you like em. Let folks know how your hearing them when you get em. That is the whole idea of this thread.

I know most guys that have read this thread have never heard of ISN.. These guys usually make cables of all things. But let me just say these guys aren't new to tuning earphones. A phone like the H40 does not come from inexperienced tuners. Lol. It don't happen that way. Speaking of cables. So what is the best cable that matches up with the ISN H40? How about ISNs own DSC06833.JPG
ISN AG8. 8 thick cores of pure high end silver. One of the best cables I have ever used on any earphone. Will be doing a review of this cable soon but. ISN is now starting to make premium cables for earphones. Something to look out for.

Jan 2, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #199 of 5,044
Looking forward to see how you like em. Let folks know how your hearing them when you get em. That is the whole idea of this thread.

I know most guys that have read this thread have never heard of ISN.. These guys usually make cables of all things. But let me just say these guys aren't new to tuning earphones. A phone like the H40 does not come from inexperienced tuners. Lol. It don't happen that way. Speaking of cables. So what is the best cable that matches up with the ISN H40? How about ISNs own
ISN AG8. 8 thick cores of pure high end silver. One of the best cables I have ever used on any earphone. Will be doing a review of this cable soon but. ISN is now starting to make premium cables for earphones. Something to look out for.

No, don't do that. Don't make me purchase a cable that costs even more than the iem. PLEASE DON'T.

joke aside, maybe I'll get one to pair with my higher-end stuffs.

Jan 2, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #200 of 5,044
Lol. No need to get these. I am 100% certain they tuned the earphones with the very nice SPC ISN S8 cable that comes with the ISN H40. So you get the intended sound out of the box. However does this cable make the H40 sound better? More spacious deeper better defined in all regions.

I have an unsaid rule about cables. I try not to use cables that cost as much as the earphones. But in this case. Hey if your into your higher end cables. ISN just came out with their flagship thick 8 cores of pure silver. All I am doing is showing it to ISN fans on the ISN H40 thread. Lol.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #202 of 5,044
Looking forward to your thoughts.
Will sure do!

Speaking of cables. So what is the best cable that matches up with the ISN H40? How about ISNs own
I have this incoming:

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/...2-pin-noble-eidolic-jh-audio-campfire-westone

Will do comparisons with the original cable once I received it. Norne silver cables are known to not sound like a typical silver cable (which favor the upper frequencies a bit more and are perceived as "bright").

Jan 3, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #203 of 5,044
So I have been spending time with the H40 and I must say, @Dsnuts was right those are keepers... The very first reaction I had when auditioning the H40 was one of utter surprise.

Image d’iOS (103).jpg

Surprise at how big the stage was, this is a huge soundstage with a coherent image and remarkably wide but more importantly unusually tall and deep for an IEM in this price bracket. Heck, I'd go as far as saying that it's remarkable at any price point. Surprise not that the H40 features a big, powerful bass which hybrids usually do with dynamic drivers but that it does exhibits very good control and textures. This is a high quality bass. Also surprised that the midrange is so full bodied, smooth and refined. Last but not least surprised that the treble features such a level of refinement : it's a smooth yet well extended treble which plays a key role in providing air and separation to an otherwise rather warm overall signature.

Call me impressed by the value for money but also the absolute value, this is a fun review on a very much fun IEM!

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #204 of 5,044
@ davidmolliere Totaly agree with you. Which DAP did you use to listen H40 ?

Jan 3, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #205 of 5,044
So I have been spending time with the H40 and I must say, @Dsnuts was right those are keepers... The very first reaction I had when auditioning the H40 was one of utter surprise.

Surprise at how big the stage was, this is a huge soundstage with a coherent image and remarkably wide but more importantly unusually tall and deep for an IEM in this price bracket. Heck, I'd go as far as saying that it's remarkable at any price point. Surprise not that the H40 features a big, powerful bass which hybrids usually do with dynamic drivers but that it does exhibits very good control and textures. This is a high quality bass. Also surprised that the midrange is so full bodied, smooth and refined. Last but not least surprised that the treble features such a level of refinement : it's a smooth yet well extended treble which plays a key role in providing air and separation to an otherwise rather warm overall signature.

Call me impressed by the value for money but also the absolute value, this is a fun review on a very much fun IEM!

I hate comments like this especially when came from someone that very experienced in TOTL. Damn. Are they catching up to the TOTL iems? How is the imaging and spatial cues from your impressions?

Isnt that DX160

Jan 3, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #206 of 5,044
Will the H40 run ok without a DAC? For example a MacBook Pro or an iPhone. Which cables with good Mic would you recommend?

Jan 3, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #209 of 5,044
@ldo77 : DX160, patiently waiting my set of H40 v2 for 3 weeks now... can't wait to try them out of my DX160 !
Unfortunately, for me it's the opposite. I own the H40 v2 and wonder if I souldn't buy a DX160 :wink:

Jan 3, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #210 of 5,044

Yes it's DX160 !

@ldo77 : DX160, patiently waiting my set of H40 v2 for 3 weeks now... can't wait to try them out of my DX160 !

They do sound great on the DX160 :D
I like what the N6ii/E01 has to bring to the table as well but DX160 is a fantastic pairing indeed and the one my review will be based on.

That's a long wait... out of stock now?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back