ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Aug 13, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #1,546 of 5,041
Well this is my first post about the H40 that I have to disagree with Dsnuts, I would not describe the H40 as being a bassy phone. I hate bassy earphones, as I am somewhat of a treble head. My description is it's a very vivid sounding bass that never intrudes into the mids and a super sounding sub bass. To my ears most bassy earphones have a tendency of making a earphone sound dark. The H40 is not dark sounding at all and therefore to me don't sound bassy, but has the best clear detailed bass I've ever heard in a iem, not to mention its great sounding mids and treble.

The Sphere should be in your shortlist. Even with stock tips & cable.
Upgading to Sedna & OS849 sends the listener to a higher level of engagement.
Sphere=CD format resolution (mids & treble, not crapping out the bottom end)
Fantastic, huge staging, immersive, 3d imaging & holography...
IMG_20200810_005649.jpg

Aug 13, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #1,547 of 5,041
So I got word that the cable is a newer version of the S8. New connectors, Y split, chin slider and terminations. It looks much more premium vs the older version imo. Wouldnt be so fair for all the previous folks that got the H40 if the newer one got a new cable I suppose. In any case the H40 got a package facelift and now looks even better with the new look S8.
Well I think I will wait then.

Aug 13, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #1,548 of 5,041
The Sphere should be in your shortlist. Even with stock tips & cable.
Upgading to Sedna & OS849 sends the listener to a higher level of engagement.
Sphere=CD format resolution (mids & treble, not crapping out the bottom end)
Fantastic, huge staging, immersive, 3d imaging & holography...
IMG_20200810_005649.jpg

What is the sphere and sedna?

Aug 13, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #1,549 of 5,041
Aug 13, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #1,550 of 5,041
Aug 13, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #1,551 of 5,041
Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #1,552 of 5,041
What is the sphere and sedna?

i really have to upgrade my camera & phone (lols)
Not a clear shot, albeit i can read clearly from that distance...
IMG_20200730_150718.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #1,554 of 5,041

Possibly of better BA drivers and DD. But most of them listening to normal H40, seriously the modded H40 is much clearer, made normal H40 sounded veiled and i can't go back to original state. I might get FH3 because of berry DD but not sure since they are similar to H40, just the trebles on H40 is bigger in quantity.

Ill post my FR of H40 soon. Since there is no proper FR graph of H40, they made me build entire FR rig because of this H40 mod things. Crazy right? They are so good that made me very curious. The marketing FR from ISN have similar with me. And yes my rig is similar with crin, I spent 2 whole weeks to experiment with FR rig and put adjustment and calibration to meet up crin standard. And I have similar result with my M7.

But the FH3 indeed looks very interesting.

Aug 13, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #1,555 of 5,041
I gotta try those sedna elastics, I keep reading about them.

I have the spiral dots and like them alot.

if u like the spirals, ur gonna love the xelastecs. A real tight seal...

Aug 14, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #1,556 of 5,041
Alright enough with the joke already!
They are the H40 themselves ~ The modded ones!

I just keep using the H40 (its close to half a year by now) and somehow still realize how good the H40 tuning is with that grande presentation, the coherence and the big soundstage.
As i wrote last time with my impressions, that the bass is a little big for me, and somehow a bit bloated, just a little bit with mid bass hump. And details are not their strength (they are quite good but not spectacular like their soundstage)
Actually i have been think about this sometimes ago, but i didn't bother and let the day pass.
So 2 days ago, out of my curiousity, I cant help it, since the nozzle grill holes also smaller than usual, they tend to be blocked someday.
Short story, I open up the grill out of my curiousity.

lift up the grill with needle from the edge
20200721_212244_HDR~2.jpg

And... i found out that there is a mesh damper stick on behind the metal nozzle grill. Believe it or not, this kind of mesh damper is effecting sound more than cables, or eartips.
I know they intended to tame the harshness, to smoothen trebles and high mids but from my experiences, the bad side effects is shadowing the good effects.
This kind of damper, the mesh cloth made bass frequencies bloated, because they reduce air flow as much, the mesh cloth blocked the air way. Think of tape the vent holes or blocking the entire nozzle. Bass will become bigger, but bloated, boomy.
They really need to stop using this kind of damper. Or at least, don't block entire surface, make the damper like donut shape, leaving the center portion uncovered.

Learn from big boys please, JVC and Sony how they make details yet clear, smooth, and precise. They are using sponge, from the cheapo MH755 until top end M7/M9, I guess same with Z1R too.
JVC does it different way, take a look on FDX1 filters, yes a rolled cotton on side of the nozzle, that is their secret damper. Main point is don't ever block the entire surface, never block the air.
This is not my first time, Been doing this to a lot IEMs, particularly with similar mesh dampers.
THe BQEYZ Spring 1 (see my Spring 1 review), various KZs (if you want it to be mentioned, but they need serious other damper), BLON BL-03 (see BLON thread).
Even the BQEYZ themselves finally take the suggestion, and Spring 2 is born, without mesh cloth.

there is a mesh cloth damper behind
20200721_212440~2.jpg

Then I changed the grill with spare grill nozzle, the 4.7mm net grill is way to go. I would using cut of sponge or cotton if they are go wild (harsh).
5 minutes tricks change your $200 IEMs sounded like $500 ones, goes from $300 sounds. Seriously.
I was scared how good the H40 in their full potential, the mesh cloth hold theirs.
HOLY MOLY!!! i was expecting some upgrades, i can guess on its clarity, and maybe slight tightness in bass, but they go far beyond my expectation!!

left : after grill mod, right : original grill (small holes and mesh cloth under the grill, bad airflow)
20200721_212742~2.jpg

+++Bass is 1 of the best bass now in their class, that sub bass focused, mid bass tightness and speed, they are very agile and fast. Great rumbles and texture and very very clean. Winning point is here. The quantity is reduce a little bit so basshead please be warned,
but they go from bloated quantity to great quality bass, with very good proportion between sub bass and mid bass, no more mid bass bloat. You have to hear them by yourself, this bass section is the major improvement you can get with this mod.

++clarity. definitely become much clearer sounds, close your eyes, guitar strings are there few steps from you.

++coherence and tuning. Tuning become more proportion, its like Blessing 2 tuning based on FR, with bit uplift subbass still with their decent note weight, more balance, less shouty upper mids but more highs extension

+speed. faster transient, catching up every single notes, precisely, handles busy tracks better.

+details. Add more of micro details, not quite a jump but definitely better than original with mesh cloth.

+soundstage. Same width, or maybe slightly bigger but only a hair differences, but they added depth and sounded more natural yet airy

++imaging. Imaging become much more precise and sharp in a good way. Big improvement from original slight blurry imaging.

+separation. become more clear with air in between instruments

+highs extension become more better but a bit intense and not so forgiving to bad records

*same forwarded and smooth mids, not shouty at all

-more intense highs, especially 6-8khz so treble sensitive people need to place cut of cotton inside (dont block entire nozzle)

seriously they improved almost in every sectors, especially the sub bass and mid bass, and they are 100% reversible if you dont like it.
Ok FAQ, what is the cons then? I want to say nothing, sounded like too good to be true, but really they are not harsh at all. Their tuning of pinna gain is definitely less than 10db. That explains much.
I was prepared to damper the 3,6,8khz but i didnt need to. from songs that i tried on past 2 days, only around 5% that give me sibilances, but they have bright recording. you can add cotton a bit if you want to your preferences, just make sure dont block entire nozzle.
Maybe the only downside they sounded more "RAW", so they more unforgiving to bad recording, again especially on 7-8khz, ocassional sibilances

So are they become much better? how better?
Yes they are, much much better, take with grain of salt since i cant A-B comparing, but from my memories, they are on similar or catching level of IT04, Sony Z5, better than blessing 1. And leave entry level midfi like Spring 1, i3, NX7 Pro behind there with definite gap.

I compared them with my Sony M7, they are catching closely now, crazy $200 vs $600 comparison. M7 have better layering obviously, its their speciality. But the clarity, the overal tuning and balance,
the Bass quality, the coherence, the note weight they are very close now, just slightly below M7. Before i can heard the gap easily.
One more info, I bought my H40 at full price, not review unit - same with my Sony IER-M7, Im trying to share this info objectively, I don't want to overhype it.

20200722_111651_HDR~2.jpg

Seriously from IEMs i modded (and mostly they are better) only H40 give me this goosebumps. You have to try them yourself. and please do
especially @Dsnuts , give them a shot and compare them with Blessing 2 and Mofafest Trio. What? I'm not kidding.

*Note : H40, 150 hours+, default cable single ended, DX160 high gain, azla sedna short M with deep insertion (ps : now the spiral dot++ also pair great with this set, before i said too softening, too bouncy feeling)

Alright so, after spending lot of time with H40 grill mod, I still concur, they have increased the good things about H40, dont worry about treble spike at 8khz, they are silky smooth non harsh.
As promised, I put my measurement here, with comparison to orginal H40 since there are not so many H40 FR also. as you can see, removing the mesh damper is only affecting high mids and 8khz by a little bit, but you get sooo much from there. Let me tell you the story.

My rig is similar with Crin's, i spent 2 weeks to experiment and adjusting everything so make it similar with Crinacle measurement for easier comparison and I also get used to see FR based on Crin FR. IEC711 coupler copy with mic, measured using REW, calibrated and compensation with EQ APO to match crin's result. Using medium bore eartips that can snug perfectly to coupler, and keep the resonance peak as close to 8khz.
Here an example my measurement compared to @crinacle measurement. The Crin's FR of course credit goes to him with respect. My measurement on the left side, top is Sony IER M7, bottom is Jade Audio EA3, on right side is FR done by Crinacle for comparison. Ignore small glitch at around 150hz, and there are small differences because product variety, tips using at measure time, cables, other factor. But you got the big picture
FR by DynamicEars compared to Crinacle's.jpg
Left : my measurements, top is Sony IER-M7, bottom is Jade Audio EA3
Right : @crinacle measurement, top is Sony IER-M7, bottom is Jade Audio EA3

And Here the FR of modded H40 and original state of H40 :
FR by DynamicEars - H40 mod vs H40 Default.jpg
Let me tell the story, The bass is looked very similar here in quantity but dont let the FR deceive you, the modded H40 have much better texture and speed, that fast agile, well textured and deep sub bass focus bass and now I accept them as 1 of the best bass on their class (or more) very clean yet impactful on the call. I was a bit dissapointed (I'm very nitpick about bass quality) at the first listening to the H40, I told @Dsnuts that NX7 pro bass have more agile, precise and less smears. To be honest i like their bass more. But after grill mod, gone that bloatness, gone that smear, the slow bass become very fast and tactile. The mesh cloth made bad air flow, placed tightly behind the grill.
Mids quantity is the same, but clarity much better now and details too. See on 4khz details that much smoothen out because of the filter? the filter made the clarity and details dull.
Treble wise, the increment is obvious there, particularly on 7-8khz area, but worry not because that only +12db from 1khz, and they are presented in smooth way, non harsh at all, just made overall signature balanced out from H40 bold big bass. Open the mesh cloth also made upper highs more airy.

Should we worry about that 8khz?
here example from few FR, borrow from @crinacle FR, so again credit to him respectively :
TRI-I3-768x376.jpg
the i3 have almost +15db on 8khz, ask i3 user if they are harsh and sibilance. I also happen have Tri i3, no they are not sibilance at all

IT04-768x379.jpg
ibasso IT04 have more 8khz peak than the H40 mod, I said on this thread earlier that the H40 remind me of IT04, take with grain of salt since I can't compare directly with IT04 now, but the modded H40 impressed me more than IT04 especially when i remember how much i spent for these, i paid $200~ish shipped with DHL

EA3-768x376.jpg
Jade Audio EA3 also have crazy +15db 8khz boost, I admit they have sibillances, but they are not that bad, because they are not harsh.

Alright now let's go to the overall tuning
FR by DynamicEars - H40 mod.jpg Z1R.jpg Anole-VX-768x379.jpg
The H40 modded, have pinna gain on 4khz , around 8db increment from 1khz, this similar to a lot TOTL pinna gain (harman target 3khz peak having 12db increment, that too shouty for me, does harman ever made TOTL IEM actually?), while overall signature is balanced slight V shaped, with fun factor on bass and trebles but their mid also forwarded.
These guy sure know how to tune. pinna gain less than 10db is the key to non shouty upper mids tuning. Don't get me wrong, the H40 is not giant killer, giant killer is just a myth, they have great tuning, they have great technicalities, they sounded so nice, but still TOTL is TOTL. but the H40 mod is much better than their default state.

if anyone want to try them, just uplift the nozzle grill, listen for few days without grill, while waiting for replacement grill. remember to clean your earwax first though.
20200805_143806_HDR.jpg
uplift the grill with needle from the side part, just like that.

Still scared with that 8khz peak?
Try these method :
20200723_195825.jpg
roll cotton and put on nozzle (dont ever block entire nozzle or you'll be back to default or even worse state with dull highs, veiled mids and bloated bass) but these kill highs and clairty too much for me.

20200805_143917.jpg
soft density sponge for damper like Sony way, better than cotton, but i hear different in clarity, taken out and much better, again the trebles is not harsh for me.

I'm using spiral dot++ in the end. Sedna short made trebles too glaring because of harder density material on inner side of the nozzle. ah yes i just got my Xelastec too
20200807_132428.jpg
Best seal award, similar to fender sureseal but better and thicker materials, their material is absorbing highs and made "bouncy"effect, give better depth to soundstage but less intimate vocals. Its a good alternative for H40 modded too, but currently Im prefer Spiral Dot++

Huff, long story take a while to write, sorry if too many photos uploaded.

Attachments

• IT03-768x379.jpg
    IT03-768x379.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 0
Aug 14, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #1,558 of 5,041
Great work on the pictures and graphs for the mod, really top stuff. I have done this on my replacement H40s, they're definitely a good amount cleaner now, while still retaining a relaxed fun signature. I wonder if the restrictive airflow was causing failures with the DD some people, myself included, have reported? I'm more than happy with the original grills, filterless, back on now so time will tell. Let's see how long they last.

Aug 14, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #1,559 of 5,041
Thank you for your awesome work :).
Can somebody please send a link for a replacement grill in here or private? I did not find any right size :frowning2:
Your welcome thanks for appreciate that, H40 is using 4.7mm, you can buy them in aliexpress, keyword is "dust network"

Great work on the pictures and graphs for the mod, really top stuff. I have done this on my replacement H40s, they're definitely a good amount cleaner now, while still retaining a relaxed fun signature. I wonder if the restrictive airflow was causing failures with the DD some people, myself included, have reported? I'm more than happy with the original grills, filterless, back on now so time will tell. Let's see how long they last.

Thanks mate, I dont think bad airflow will cause failure to driver, but for sure I know the mesh cloth put directly behind the grill made sounds different. Even BQEYZ admit with my report for Spring 1, so they comeout with Spring 2, without that mesh filter. Same with blon BL-03 also.
Moondrop came with filter tuning but with gap between tuning filter and the grill, thats a better way, and different material too.

Of course you can use original grill with filter removed, the filter itself that affect the sound that much, but maybe the replacement grill with bigger holes affect the better airflow. I keep my original grill attached to the filter, so i can put them back to original state

Aug 14, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #1,560 of 5,041
Alright so, after spending lot of time with H40 grill mod, I still concur, they have increased the good things about H40, dont worry about treble spike at 8khz, they are silky smooth non harsh.
As promised, I put my measurement here, with comparison to orginal H40 since there are not so many H40 FR also. as you can see, removing the mesh damper is only affecting high mids and 8khz by a little bit, but you get sooo much from there. Let me tell you the story.

My rig is similar with Crin's, i spent 2 weeks to experiment and adjusting everything so make it similar with Crinacle measurement for easier comparison and I also get used to see FR based on Crin FR. IEC711 coupler copy with mic, measured using REW, calibrated and compensation with EQ APO to match crin's result. Using medium bore eartips that can snug perfectly to coupler, and keep the resonance peak as close to 8khz.
Here an example my measurement compared to @crinacle measurement. The Crin's FR of course credit goes to him with respect. My measurement on the left side, top is Sony IER M7, bottom is Jade Audio EA3, on right side is FR done by Crinacle for comparison. Ignore small glitch at around 150hz, and there are small differences because product variety, tips using at measure time, cables, other factor. But you got the big picture

Left : my measurements, top is Sony IER-M7, bottom is Jade Audio EA3
Right : @crinacle measurement, top is Sony IER-M7, bottom is Jade Audio EA3

And Here the FR of modded H40 and original state of H40 :

Let me tell the story, The bass is looked very similar here in quantity but dont let the FR deceive you, the modded H40 have much better texture and speed, that fast agile, well textured and deep sub bass focus bass and now I accept them as 1 of the best bass on their class (or more) very clean yet impactful on the call. I was a bit dissapointed (I'm very nitpick about bass quality) at the first listening to the H40, I told @Dsnuts that NX7 pro bass have more agile, precise and less smears. To be honest i like their bass more. But after grill mod, gone that bloatness, gone that smear, the slow bass become very fast and tactile. The mesh cloth made bad air flow, placed tightly behind the grill.
Mids quantity is the same, but clarity much better now and details too. See on 4khz details that much smoothen out because of the filter? the filter made the clarity and details dull.
Treble wise, the increment is obvious there, particularly on 7-8khz area, but worry not because that only +12db from 1khz, and they are presented in smooth way, non harsh at all, just made overall signature balanced out from H40 bold big bass. Open the mesh cloth also made upper highs more airy.

Should we worry about that 8khz?
here example from few FR, borrow from @crinacle FR, so again credit to him respectively :

the i3 have almost +15db on 8khz, ask i3 user if they are harsh and sibilance. I also happen have Tri i3, no they are not sibilance at all

ibasso IT04 have more 8khz peak than the H40 mod, I said on this thread earlier that the H40 remind me of IT04, take with grain of salt since I can't compare directly with IT04 now, but the modded H40 impressed me more than IT04 especially when i remember how much i spent for these, i paid $200~ish shipped with DHL

Jade Audio EA3 also have crazy +15db 8khz boost, I admit they have sibillances, but they are not that bad, because they are not harsh.

Alright now let's go to the overall tuning

The H40 modded, have pinna gain on 4khz , around 8db increment from 1khz, this similar to a lot TOTL pinna gain (harman target 3khz peak having 12db increment, that too shouty for me, does harman ever made TOTL IEM actually?), while overall signature is balanced slight V shaped, with fun factor on bass and trebles but their mid also forwarded.
These guy sure know how to tune. pinna gain less than 10db is the key to non shouty upper mids tuning. Don't get me wrong, the H40 is not giant killer, giant killer is just a myth, they have great tuning, they have great technicalities, they sounded so nice, but still TOTL is TOTL. but the H40 mod is much better than their default state.

if anyone want to try them, just uplift the nozzle grill, listen for few days without grill, while waiting for replacement grill. remember to clean your earwax first though.

uplift the grill with needle from the side part, just like that.

Still scared with that 8khz peak?
Try these method :

roll cotton and put on nozzle (dont ever block entire nozzle or you'll be back to default or even worse state with dull highs, veiled mids and bloated bass) but these kill highs and clairty too much for me.

soft density sponge for damper like Sony way, better than cotton, but i hear different in clarity, taken out and much better, again the trebles is not harsh for me.

I'm using spiral dot++ in the end. Sedna short made trebles too glaring because of harder density material on inner side of the nozzle. ah yes i just got my Xelastec too

Best seal award, similar to fender sureseal but better and thicker materials, their material is absorbing highs and made "bouncy"effect, give better depth to soundstage but less intimate vocals. Its a good alternative for H40 modded too, but currently Im prefer Spiral Dot++

Huff, long story take a while to write, sorry if too many photos uploaded.
Thanks mate!! We really appreciate your info, very detailed .🤓👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back