Is this a good combo for Sennheiser's HD650
Jun 9, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #16 of 42
I understand that you not listening to classical or jazz but i was trying to say that this kind of music shows how deep good quality bass should sound so you can just try few tracks for testing purposes

Jun 9, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #19 of 42
First of all, thanks for your help!

Setup:
iPod Classic 7th generation (trying to find a new 5th, since the Wolfson DAC is better)
Fiio L9 LOD
Electric Avenues PA2V2

[size=1.2em][COLOR=000000]Sennheiser HD650[/color][/size]

[COLOR=000000]Apple Lossless [/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Desktop Amp: I'm not sure which one to pick.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Some Options:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Graham Slee Solo II[/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]Schiit Asgard[/COLOR]
Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 DAC with OPA627 OpAmp and GE 5670 tube.

If you know any better please tell me!
BTW I'm leaning for the Maverick, because it's a DAC also

[size=1.2em] [/size]

[size=1.2em] [/size]

Firstly, the new iPhone 4S and presumably the newest iPod Touch has the best sound quality I've yet heard from an iDevice. The iPhone can actually drive the HD800 to moderate levels on its own but struggles more with the HD650.

I suggest you start small and work your way up. Thats what makes audiophilia fun. You don't appreciate better until you've gone the journey. Still, the Objective 2 is rated quite highly and while I don't like to make recommendations of gear I personally haven't heard, I do trust the ears of select people I've come to know in this hobby and the price isn't steep enough to be a big gamble for you.

With the HD650, reverse the earpads (in my opinion they sound better that way), maybe get a good cable for the headphones, and try the Objective 2. At the very worst if you don't like it you can sell it but I doubt you will find that to be the case. This would make a nice starter mid-tier rig without spending crazy money like some of us have.

Once you get a taste of quality audio, it's hard to turn back and the road ahead can be a pricey one. Be warned, but be enthused!

Jun 9, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #20 of 42
Quote:
I suggest you start small and work your way up. Thats what makes audiophilia fun. You don't appreciate better until you've gone the journey. Still, the Objective 2 is rated quite highly and while I don't like to make recommendations of gear I personally haven't heard, I do trust the ears of select people I've come to know in this hobby and the price isn't steep enough to be a big gamble for you.

Totally agree. That's exactly why I'm recommending TubeMagic D1 because i heard my pair of HD650 with Blue Dragon V3 cable (they are for sale by the way) thru Objective 2 , TubeMagic plus couple of much more expensive AMPs and TubeMagic is perfect pairing for HD650 costing just over $200 (remember it's both amp and dac) while Objective2 is just an AMP and was unable to give the deep bass HD650 are capable to provide but you need proper equiupment  for them to shine and TubeMagic is one of them. Having expensive AMP not always guarantee you best match and best sound. HD650 are very picky and finding athe match isn't so easy

Jun 9, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #21 of 42
Quote:
Totally agree. That's exactly why I'm recommending TubeMagic D1 because i heard my pair of HD650 with Blue Dragon V3 cable (they are for sale by the way) thru Objective 2 , TubeMagic plus couple of much more expensive AMPs and TubeMagic is perfect pairing for HD650 costing just over $200 (remember it's both amp and dac) while Objective2 is just an AMP and was unable to give the deep bass HD650 are capable to provide but you need proper equiupment  for them to shine and TubeMagic is one of them. Having expensive AMP not always guarantee you best match and best sound. HD650 are very picky and finding athe match isn't so easy

Are you sure that "deep bass" wasn't just coloration from the tubes.  I know for a fact that the Objective2 can get "deep bass".  You're comments are plain wrong because the O2 (WHICH WAS DESIGNED AROUND THE HD650) only has a -0.04dB (inaudible) decrease at 20Hz.  It is a dead flat amp.  -0.04db at 20hz, and -0.01db at 48kHz, that's where they start to barely deviate from 0.00dB.  Not to mention, both of those deviation roll offs are inaudible.

Also, I've used the Objective2 with my very modified T50RP's and HE-500's and both have that "deep bass" you're talking about.

Basically, I think you're opinion is a bit subjective.

Jun 9, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

Are you sure that "deep bass" wasn't just coloration from the tubes.  I know for a fact that the Objective2 can get "deep bass".  You're comments are plain wrong because the O2 (WHICH WAS DESIGNED AROUND THE HD650) only has a -0.04dB (inaudible) decrease at 20Hz.  It is a dead flat amp.  -0.04db at 20hz, and -0.01db at 48kHz, that's where they start to barely deviate from 0.00dB.  Not to mention, both of those deviation roll offs are inaudible.

Also, I've used the Objective2 with my very modified T50RP's and HE-500's and both have that "deep bass" you're talking about.

Basically, I think you're opinion is a bit subjective.

I don't know but instruments sounded very natural and livelike when you hear symphonic orchestra for example. I also heard HE-500 and D7000 thru the same Objective 2 and only D7000 gave me that deep bass i'm looking for.

Jun 9, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #23 of 42
Either way, I think you're level of bass for satisfaction is not the same as the OP's anyways, so its a moot comparison.

Science and numbers tells us the Objective2 has no issue conjuring bass at 20hz. 

Moving on!

Jun 9, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #24 of 42
Quote:
Secondly, remove the earpads and rotate them 180° and then reinsert so that the thinner portion now faces front and the fatter portion now faces back. This will not only loosen the tighter grip on your face, it will widen the soundstage and open up the treble on the 650s.

How is this done?  When I remove my 650 pads, there doesn't seem to be a way to reverse them.  They look like they only go on one way.  Anyone have a diagram or picture?

Jun 9, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #25 of 42
Quote:
That really depends. I might have agreed with you at one point but not really anymore. Firstly, the 650s look much nicer than the 600s. Who knows what Sennheiser was or still is thinking producing a phone that looks like that. Secondly, remove the earpads and rotate them 180° and then reinsert so that the thinner portion now faces front and the fatter portion now faces back. This will not only loosen the tighter grip on your face, it will widen the soundstage and open up the treble on the 650s. And when running them balanced, they are every bit as good as the 600s with more visceral impact. The 600s are a tad more neutral though.

The 650 pads don't have a fatter or thinner part to them? they only mold with time to your head.

Best way to keep the bigger soundstage is to apply the headband stretch mod(its on here somewhere, but basically means bending the metal parts of the headband to suite) and buying new pads.

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #26 of 42
Hi Headfiers'. I'm too new to the community here. I'm looking for best combo (amp + dac) for my Sennheiser hd650. I'm not able to decide between

1. NuForce Icon HDP
2. Maverick AudionTubemagic D1

What does the experience of community says here?

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #27 of 42
Community says you're thread-jacking!

Do research and make your own thread about it, you'll get more specific answers based on people's specific experience.

Jun 10, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #28 of 42
Sorry! I didn't mean to high-jack. I tried to get some suggestion. :) Heading of the thread brought me here. :) Happy to receive comments @

http://www.head-fi.org/t/613133/2012-best-dac-amp-for-sennheiser-hd650

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #29 of 42
The 650 pads don't have a fatter or thinner part to them? they only mold with time to your head.

Best way to keep the bigger soundstage is to apply the headband stretch mod(its on here somewhere, but basically means bending the metal parts of the headband to suite) and buying new pads.

I'd beg to differ according to my pair. The earpads most definitely have a wider part towards the front of your face (even though it's not a big difference). That grips your face tighter. If you reverse them it angles the drivers more and gives a more natural soundstage along with increased treble.

I did get them used although in very good condition but molding to someone's head did not look like it was at all causing one side to be wider and one side to be thinner. I've seen this on other pairs, too. They seem to just be sewn that way. They will still pop in over the foam and into the plastic area exactly the same. It just takes some force to get these earpads to fit in anyway, which still come out a lot easier then say a Denon D5000. Those pads are seriously secure and hard to take off.

Jun 10, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:
I'd beg to differ according to my pair. The earpads most definitely have a wider part towards the front of your face (even though it's not a big difference). That grips your face tighter. If you reverse them it angles the drivers more and gives a more natural soundstage along with increased treble.

Hold old are yours?  My HD-650's were bought new about 8 months ago and the ear pads are perfectly even thickness all around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back