Is there absolutely nothing better than the NE-7M at the sub-100 range?
Apr 22, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #34 of 47
A lot of people say they have issues with the NE-7m making a good fit in the ear.
I just ordered them so can anyone give so input on this?

I'm a guy who had Denon 551s previously, but the medium size was just a little too small and the large didnt fit at all.

Apr 22, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by NatePhones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of people say they have issues with the NE-7m making a good fit in the ear.
I just ordered them so can anyone give so input on this?

I'm a guy who had Denon 551s previously, but the medium size was just a little too small and the large didnt fit at all.

You might have fit issues with the included tips since they aren't very good. I'd buy either the Comply T400 tips if you like foam or the Shure e2c silicones if you like that kind.

Apr 22, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #37 of 47
I wonder if the Sony Hybrid tips would work on the NE-7M? Here is a link to them on Amazon
Anyone know if these will work as a different set of tips? If they fit they seem to have the widest variety of sizes to help ensure you geta good fit.

Apr 22, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #38 of 47
I have 2 sub $100 IEMs, the ADDIEM and the NE-7; the ADDIEM I just got is used. My thoughts on both:
- NE-7 mic sounds better to people on the other end
- NE-7 is less microphonic (however, I wear the ADDIEM over the ear, which allows a good insertion angle)
- NE-7 is easier to fit (I am using the stock silicon tips, with the ADDIEM I am using Shure olives)
- NE-7 has more/sometimes boomier bass (but I only noticed it on a few tracks, maybe it is hitting a resonance frequency in those songs?); NE-7 plays 16Hz test tone, can't hear before 20 HZ on ADDIEM (next step is 25 Hz, which is at a lower level than above freqencies)
- NE-7 has a warmer, more bass oriented sound signature
- NE-7 is more sensitive, requiring a lower volume setting for the same playback level
- ADDIEM is a little more detailed
- ADDIEM has better instrument separation by a lot
- NE-7 is smoother sounding
- ADDIEM is worn much deeper in the ear canal; I wear the NE-7 in the outermost part of my ear canal
- ADDIEM has a more 3-D headstage as one of the NE-7s biggest weaknesses is a compressed 3-D headstage
- The above sound comparisons are when critical listening, when listening casually, there is little difference to me other than warmth (and that is not all that big)

What are the best sub $100 IEMs? The ones that fit your ears the best, are comfortable, and have the sound signature that you like. I have come to the conclusion that IEMs sound very different to different people due to fit (ear placement and seal), and some people try harder/have more experience getting a proper fit for them than others.

IMO both the NE-7 and ADDIEM are great, but with slightly different strengths. Which I prefer depends upon the music. The NE-7 has my preferred sound sig and sounds more natural to me on some music, and I like the additional bass. But there are times the ADDIEM is preferred, such as when songs have great 3-D soundstages (like ATB), or the bass is too boomy on the NE-7 (like Hotel Califorina from Hell Freezes Over). Also, using the E5 with bass boost for the ADDIEM makes the bass a little closer to the NE-7 and the sound is warmer.

Apr 22, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #40 of 47
When you say the NE-7M is "smoother sounding" what would be the adjective to describe the detriment in the ADDIEMs? I'm just curious as to what it sounds like since I don't think I've ever heard "less smooth" sound unless it was from a faulty jack.

Apr 23, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #41 of 47
I would imagine the opposite of smooth to be harsh, and sometime edgy.

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by numba1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
White is COOL.

Plug is VERY durable just like the one on ibuds.

White is whack and played out. Black is best.
L3000.gif

Apr 23, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you say the NE-7M is "smoother sounding" what would be the adjective to describe the detriment in the ADDIEMs? I'm just curious as to what it sounds like since I don't think I've ever heard "less smooth" sound unless it was from a faulty jack.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would imagine the opposite of smooth to be harsh, and sometime edgy.

Yes, ClieOS said it, some recordings are harsher and edgy (mostly harsher) than on the NE-7. I am not sure exactly why, but both BA IEMs I have heard (ADDIEM and PFE) have exhibited this much more than the dynamic drivers I have listened to. And I don't think it is a detail thing because my IE8s are more detailed than the ADDIEM or PFE yet smoother.

If you read the latest ADDIEM thread, I think it can also be described as digital sounding, as I don't think it is natural harshness.

Apr 23, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
White is whack and played out. Black is best.
L3000.gif

C'mon. Black=dumb.

Apr 23, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, ClieOS said it, some recordings are harsher and edgy (mostly harsher) than on the NE-7. I am not sure exactly why, but both BA IEMs I have heard (ADDIEM and PFE) have exhibited this much more than the dynamic drivers I have listened to. And I don't think it is a detail thing because my IE8s are more detailed than the ADDIEM or PFE yet smoother.

If you read the latest ADDIEM thread, I think it can also be described as digital sounding, as I don't think it is natural harshness.

Ouch. If that's the case, I really am glad I went with the NE-7M's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back