Is there absolutely nothing better than the NE-7M at the sub-100 range?
Apr 21, 2009 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

neoufo51

500+ Head-Fier
I love my NE-7M but I am curious to see if anybody out there can convince me that there is something better than the NE-7M for under $100.

I ask this because no matter how many threads I read about portables for less than a 3 digit dollar amount, there is overwhelming support for the NE-7M. So, this thread will serve as an acid test for the mighty NE-7M.

Give your best shots, guys.

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 47
How about the Apple In-Ear IEMS? Dual drivers. I owned both and much prefer the ADDIEMs (still own them). Same for the Yuin PK3s. Even though buds, I also preferred them over the NE-7M. Also, if you can get the Monster Turbines for $105 (out of stock right now) at Macmall, just a hair over triple figures and much preferred over the NE-7M. Never owned the Klipsch Custom 1s or many other under-$100 IEMs that I preferred over the NE-7M, which are fine phones for $50, just not my cup of tea (way too bassy).

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 47
The Shure SC4L?
confused.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #5 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the Apple In-Ear IEMS? Dual drivers. I owned both and much prefer the ADDIEMs (still own them). Same for the Yuin PK3s. Even though buds, I also preferred them over the NE-7M. Also, if you can get the Monster Turbines for $105 (out of stock right now) at Macmall, just a hair over triple figures and much preferred over the NE-7M. Never owned the Klipsch Custom 1s or many other under-$100 IEMs that I preferred over the NE-7M, which are fine phones for $50, just not my cup of tea (way too bassy).

damn beat me to it was gonna say the new apple IEM... they seem like they would be prety good and also a dual driver phone.

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbizzle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
damn beat me to it was gonna say the new apple IEM... they seem like they would be prety good and also a dual driver phone.

They are not that new, but due to some discounting on ebay, they are getting some good word of mouth here of late, including my major preference for them in the under $100 category. They really do sound fantastic to me, especially with the T4, which warms them up a bit. I think the dominate the NuForce phones, but that is based on my preference for detail/clarity and balance, rather than a bass-oriented phone like the NuForce. Others don't feel that way.

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #9 of 47
I keep reading about the harsh treble on the Addiems which kept me away from them in the first place. The NE-7M bass isn't as bassy as other bassy headphones as the M5's, which gives them a unique clarity. I'm listening to Fleet Foxes with them and they just really make the vocals pop out at me.

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #10 of 47
just follow the trend, since i have registered as a member i have seen overwhelming praises starting from turbine -> PFE -> NE7M -> apple in ear/mic

both turbine, pfe and apple has been actively compared to the top models and often so people would like them over their expensive models :p

ps. simply stating how i have felt since joining head-fi'ers in chronological order

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #11 of 47
The treble is not harsh, just featured. On occasion, treble may peak a little, but they are not harsh. Also, my NE-7M clicker thing broke way too easily, so I got a new pair and sold them. Don't miss them as my low-end phones, as I have the PK3s and ADDIEMs to cover that base. But I respect that you favor the NuForce phones, so do a lot of others (some of who haven't tried some of the phones I listed though).

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by hydrocyanic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just follow the trend, since i have registered as a member i have seen overwhelming praises starting from turbine -> PFE -> NE7M -> apple in ear/mic

both turbine, pfe and apple has been actively compared to the top models and often so people would like them over their expensive models :p

ps. simply stating how i have felt since joining head-fi'ers in chronological order

I wouldn't say often. More likely once in a blue moon.

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't say often. More likely once in a blue moon.

wrong word there, sorry, but if blue moon is the concern i have seen a few times already
biggrin.gif

gosh i am lucky

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Your chronology/order is way off. The NE7M hit first, got pretty good word of mouth (deservedly so). Next, came the PFEs, which were featured on Anythingbutipod in a review by HFer dfkt. The Apple phones have been out several months as well, with the first review being posted here on 12/16. Only reason they are getting more play here lately is their $35 price on ebay (for used, but actually like new). At that price they are a steal, that's for sure, but also worth their $79 tag. The Monster Turbines, another excellent phone, started out at $149, but many Head-Fi'ers got them free as a review pair (myself included). On etailer has them close to $100, another excellent value.

Not sure what your second statement means. I still prefer my Westone 3s over all my other phones, but feel all the phones you mentioned all offer great value, and to some folks, they do come very close to top tier phones. And to some, albeit a small minority, two of those phones, the Turbines and the PFEs, are as preferred as top tier phones under the right listening conditions (example, the PFEs need an amp to hit their potential).

So what's your point?

Apr 21, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

wrong word there, sorry, but if blue moon is the concern i have seen a few times already
biggrin.gif

gosh i am lucky

Most likely they didn't give the higher quality IEM some brain burn in or physical burn in. Or chose the right tips or had a bad source and the IEM was faithfully showing the flaws of the source, giving the user the impression of a low quality IEM. Consider those factors first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back