Is the HD800 overpriced?
Jan 18, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #46 of 685
A HD800 , plastic fantastic , to much money for these (ugly)
smily_headphones1.gif
things

Jan 18, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #47 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankCooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A used Stax O2 costs about the same. I've heard them both. There's no comparison. My money will go to the Stax. The HD-800 is a very nice $700-$800. headphone, but that's all it is.

Everyone's ears are different and will value certain qualities greater. I am in complete opposition to your statement and feel the HD800 are much better for me than the Stax O2, but I'm not a stat guy and wouldn't own one unless I had tons of extra money. Also, some people feel the L3000 are worth thousands of dollars. I don't feel they are worth $100.

Jan 18, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #49 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by keezzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
things

If we are talking about the build quality, the plastic on the hd800 is quite solid actually at least it feels more resistant to wear than wood on some other headphones.
The problem is the cable I think replacing it isn't cheap and the part going out of the connection is weak and it peels after a while making it even weaker.
Not something I've seen in other high end dynamic headphones.
Other complaint compared to other headphone using velour like pads although the hd800 pads feel much smoother than the usual velour
wink.gif
is that they are quite hard to remove and wash. That's a bit unusual for a headphone that is supposed to last.

Jan 18, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #50 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD600 is made of carbon fiber while HD800 is made of plastic?

There was a thread years ago about a guy who split open the HD600 to investigate the materials. It was PVC apparently.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Underpriced IMO. At least relative to anything else that sounds that good in the headphone world.

I think it works the other way. Some of the other "high ends" are overpriced (R10, L3k etc)

For the record (I've said this before), I love it when people say "if I didn't have my HD800 I'd be happy with my HD650 <with cable>" when there are other headphones that are much more similar to the HD800 *cough701cough*. There are people who love the HD800 who hate the K701. Makes you wonder if people are listening with their ears or not
rolleyes.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #51 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's say the maximum price of the hps was 600-$700 everything was fine. But it's not, they are double overpriced.
wink.gif

Oh dear Acix, do run a business? hehehe

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #52 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the record (I've said this before), I love it when people say "if I didn't have my HD800 I'd be happy with my HD650 <with cable>" when there are other headphones that are much more similar to the HD800 *cough701cough*. There are people who love the HD800 who hate the K701. Makes you wonder if people are listening with their ears or not
rolleyes.gif

The K701/702 are really nothing like the HD800. I owned the 702. Even though an upgraded cable helps, you can't compare the sound quality to the HD800. The 702 has very little bass and distorts easily at higher volumes. The only thing slightly similar is the soundstage. Even though they are built fairly well, they feel flimsy, especially with the elastic string on the headband and the plastic grill covering the outside of the driver. The earpads are uncomfortable and the stock cable that comes with it is one of the worst I've ever seen. For the price, it's not a bad headphone. But I'd much rather have a DT880/600 which has a more natural tonal balance.

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #53 of 685
Companies always need do show off with a product too expensive for regular customers. Have you noticed that prices go up more or less smoothly before doing an awkward leap to the "top"? Do you really need to double or triple the price you spend for an increment in quality that is --- proportionally --- much, much lower? To me, spending 1400 on a single HP is a silly thing to do, unless you happen to be a very rich man. One tenth to one fifth that price would be a wiser choice.

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #54 of 685
Stop complaining, the HD800 here in Australia have an RRP of $2399
tongue.gif
. Anyway, I would probably spend $999 on them depending on my equipment at the time.

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #55 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by keezzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
things

YES!!!

I've heard 'm and they sound great, but like every Sennheiser they're just too ugly. My K701 are sort of cool (yet still ugly), but Senns are just plain old ugly. It's a BMW X5 or Samsung refrigerator type of ugly that just screams bad taste.

I REFUSE!

The price is ok though, it's a bit lame that they fixed it for the resellers but whatever. If you don't want it don't buy it
beerchug.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #56 of 685
No they are not overpriced. The equipement you need to drive them with to their full potential on the other hand, are.

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #57 of 685
I actually find the HD800 very good looking...Never seen them in person and doubt I ever will. I do not have that luxury.

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #58 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slash47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Senns are just plain old ugly. It's a BMW X5 or Samsung refrigerator type of ugly that just screams bad taste.

samsung-cullian-fridge_1451.jpg

Hmm, designer refrigerators. Say, is there a forum for those? I have a few spare places in my cultic consumer lust inventory.

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #60 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701/702 are really nothing like the HD800. I owned the 702. Even though an upgraded cable helps, you can't compare the sound quality to the HD800. The 702 has very little bass and distorts easily at higher volumes. The only thing slightly similar is the soundstage. Even though they are built fairly well, they feel flimsy, especially with the elastic string on the headband and the plastic grill covering the outside of the driver. The earpads are uncomfortable and the stock cable that comes with it is one of the worst I've ever seen. For the price, it's not a bad headphone. But I'd much rather have a DT880/600 which has a more natural tonal balance.

Relative to the HD600/650 they are quite "thin" sounding and detail oriented and tilted slightly towards the treble.
This is what I was getting at (and I believe also what I typed).

If the HD800 has so much bass why are there no less than two revisions/enhancements on a mod to increase the bass?
rolleyes.gif

I couldn't care less about comfort as I do not intend to wear headphones 24/7.

Out of curiosity, am I the only one who thinks the cups on the HD800 look backwards? (Not that this has any bearing on the headphone itself).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back