Is the HD800 overpriced?
Jan 18, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #62 of 685
Quote:

am I the only one who thinks the cups on the HD800 look backwards?

No. I agree.

On the subject of 'is the HD800 overpriced?'. Of course it is. Most hifi is, based upon the production of relatively small numbers of units such that true economy of scale doesn't really kick in. Especially on something that has made a point of being 'handmade'.

ALl this said and done, I took the price on the chin as there's nothing around at that price to compare as far as I can tell, and I just received the word that my own HD800s have (finally) arrived at my dealers... more later
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #63 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of curiosity, am I the only one who thinks the cups on the HD800 look backwards?

Quote:

Originally Posted by oktapod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. I agree.

I'm curious as well: have either of you ever seen anyone wearing the HD800's backwards? If ever you get that opportunity, I suspect your opinion on the matter may change rather quickly.

Jan 18, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #64 of 685
At such high-end audio, they aren't overpriced as price correlates with sound quality at that point. The more Sennheiser charge the more those who buy it will think it sounds amazing. Audiophiles are rather susceptible to such subconscious mental self-conditioning I reckon. That's how I explain stuff like power cords costing quite a few HD800s and uber expensive cables going into further extremes in the speaker world.

And the kool-aid tastes good
very_evil_smiley.gif
but is bad for the wallet.

Jan 18, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #65 of 685
I've heard of kool-aid before. How much is it
biggrin.gif
But yeah, as you get into the flagships of companies, even though they may be a tad better than the 2nd best which may cost 1/6 of the price, you are getting their best and there comes a premium for that. If you want the best, you will pay a lot for it
smile.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #66 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious as well: have either of you ever seen anyone wearing the HD800's backwards? If ever you get that opportunity, I suspect your opinion on the matter may change rather quickly.

Again (this seems to be the cool thing to do here), I didn't say that the headphone as a whole looks backwards as would happen if you actually wear it backwards. You'll see that the cups arent particularly centred on the headphone. The position of the headband would have to be moved, however the cups themselves seemed to have been shaped to the face and then mirrored.

A quick photoshop confirms my sense of aesthetics, and yes I am aware there is a very good reason it appears to be "leaning forward", but it just doesn't look good.

Cables would need to be repositioned, headband entry point would need to be altered, cups would have to be rotated slightly blah blah

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #67 of 685
Well, its more like finding a matched amp/source than paying big $ only, imo. I tried them with midclass NAD system and they were not bad at all, at least with Patricia Barber. It would be very interesting to compare them with K1000 personally, cos we all have differ taste preferences anyway.
About if they are overprices or not. I do think that at EUR 999, that they sells up here in Holland, its slightly over the edge, but certainly not way overpriced, they still made by hand in Germany, don't forget that one. I believe if you could manage EUR 1000 include after market cable, it could be just right, especially when you compare to HD650 retail EUR 300 plus re-cable job, which brings you pretty close to EUR 500-600 range for sure, but still not the same signature at all. I am still amazed about the fact that folks pay EUR 300 for HD650 plus EUR 250-300 cable and then EUR 1650 for an amp like Zana, while you can get HD800 for EUR 999 plus Lehmann EUR 700-750, done. However, like I wrote they don't have the same sound sig at all, so, such comparison may not fit most of the possible users, but still give you an idea about finding the best possible match for your money. People should calculate first, before making any statements, imo. Don't take this as the only option only, there are cheaper amps up there, so you can be way cheaper with HD650 rig, especially when we are talking about used market, however the time doesn't stop and there will be more used HD800 available in the future, where the price of EUR 600-700 used will make them a real bargain, but than again, not to everyone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No they are not overpriced. The equipement you need to drive them with to their full potential on the other hand, are.

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #68 of 685
Quote:

For the record (I've said this before), I love it when people say "if I didn't have my HD800 I'd be happy with my HD650 <with cable>" when there are other headphones that are much more similar to the HD800 *cough701cough*. There are people who love the HD800 who hate the K701. Makes you wonder if people are listening with their ears or not
rolleyes.gif

lol, you've payed a lot (X5), you have to feel spacial.
tongue.gif

For the record, they sound great, but I do prefer my K-702.

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #69 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, you've payed a lot (X5), you have to feel spacial.
tongue.gif

For the record, they sound great, but I do prefer my K-702.

I don't really like the soundstage of either but otherwise I think they are great headphone. IMO the main difference between them is the midrange.

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #70 of 685
Quote:

I don't really like the soundstage of either but otherwise I think they are great headphone. IMO the main difference between them is the midrange.

I think members that had the 650 will have more easy time to get use to the 800. it's maybe the evolution.
biggrin.gif
But why the 800 looks like the Quaila?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #71 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by jyle_t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD800 is more aggressive and detailed than K701, there's also more sub bass and better overall bass impact.

And the 701 is more agressive than the HD6XX ergo my point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But why the 800 looks like the Quaila?
very_evil_smiley.gif

The qualia is beautiful, the HD800 is not in my opinion.

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #73 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No they are not overpriced. The equipement you need to drive them with to their full potential on the other hand, are.

That's a new take on things. Care to give examples on what's overpriced?

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #74 of 685
Quote:

Really? I've never heard the HD6xx series, you just saved me some time there. I thought K701 sounded thin and lifeless already.

Choosing HD650 you'll get thick and lifeless.
smily_headphones1.gif
Re-cabling recommended.

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #75 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Choosing HD650 you'll get thick and lifeless.
smily_headphones1.gif
Re-cabling recommended.

And even then IMO the HD650 (at least the version I heard) will get the timbre of the upper-end of some instruments very wrong (particularly the upper end of the piano and cymbals). This along with the detail retrieval of the K701 is why I prefer it (but like I say the soundstage isnt to my taste. "big soundstage" and headphones do not mix IMO).

I also feel they get staccato/pizzicato very wrong and over-syrup legato sections in pieces.

Quote:

Really? I've never heard the HD6xx series, you just saved me some time there. I thought K701 sounded thin and lifeless already.

I definitely agree with majkel regarding the thick and lifeless remark. They are overly thick in my opinion (but I do prefer a thinner sound), and the treble roll-off takes a large portion of the music away and presents mere sound. If it wasnt for the midrange which can be quite nice IMO these headphones would have nothing good about them compared to the competition (DT880, K701 etc. I've yet to hear the SA5k [reportedly the antithesis of the 650, but I intend to very soon])

IMO YMMV etc (I know I stand fairly alone with this rather strong opinion).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back