Is the HD800 overpriced?
Jan 18, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #17 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If people bought more senns instead of bose & skullcandy, the HD800 might be cheaper. With so much crap in the marketplace, it's expensive to develop and market a quality product.

More like most people couldn't care less about quality sound, so crap exists.

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #19 of 685
The answer is relative to ones expectations and needs, pick a cheaper phone, if you don’t like the cost, no ones holding a gun to your head telling you to buy.
BTW all high end audio components have a large mark-up, big deal and who cares. They’re all luxury goods from our overly bloated consumeristic society.
If it were food, shelter, education, medical or any other vital need then I’ll listen, but really, who cares, they can charge what they like.

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #20 of 685
I would say that if you are even asking that question the answer is yes. HD800 is made for those who are a) very wealthy b) obsessive compulsive C) people who MUST have best. It is definitely not a rip off or anything because of the many reasons others have stated but the question is: How much are you willing to spend on a headphone.

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #21 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by yklee118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait long enough and the prices will eventually go down. When that happens, then that will be the best time to buy. This is based on trends, however this headphone may have a following that Sennheiser foresees so it may not follow the trend. I don't know what the future holds. I am leaning toward the trend.

Price may drop in long term, but the trend is headphone community only going to grow looks like.

Last time I have seen pair of Sony R10 (maybe was a pair? don't remember) sold for $4000 USD.

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #23 of 685
Senn profit making machine in full swing,even down to withholding supply to make sure that the perceived value remains high,not to mention limited dealers and a form of legal price fixing.

There practices stink and on that basis alone no-one should buy them,they treat the general public as cows with the intent to milk them dry.

I wonder if the next model will be priced a bit higher just to squeeze out the last drop.

They must have done a lot of research to find out which price point the market could sustain.Looks like the days of [perceived high end] phones under a $1,000 are gone,maybe we need another big blip in the market to sort things out a bit because no-one has learnt much from the last except all the poor people that lost there homes and savings.

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #24 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't say overpriced there are many factors that make the price high like marketing,researches and experiments,the value and quality of materials used,the package,demand of the market(it is a niche product).....and many others.

Mostly marketing, and what the market can support. There is nothing physical about the HD800 that is worth more than $200.

And the high price is what helped to sell the HD800 in the first place. Three times the price makes people think three times better than the HD650. If it had the same sound and sold for $200, everyone would say it was crap because it costs less than the HD580 and is the same price as the HD595. But because it cost $1400, the cost often determines many peoples expectations and what they "hear".

It is a good headphone but ultimately is overpriced, GS1000 and PS1000 also overpriced. This is taking into consideration the price of the HE5, DT880 and the K701.

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #26 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And the high price is what helped to sell the HD800 in the first place. Three times the price makes people think three times better than the HD650. If it had the same sound and sold for $200, everyone would say it was crap because it costs less than the HD580 and is the same price as the HD595. But because it cost $1400, the cost often determines many peoples expectations and what they "hear".

What a load of crap. Seriously, how do you make up nonsense like this?

If it had the same sound and sold for $200 everyone would own on. You have to have seriously impaired hearing to compare the HD800 side by side with the HD580/HD595/HD600/HD650 and claim it sounds like crap. I haven't laughed that hard in awhile. If the HD800 cost the same as the HD600 and HD650, less than 1% of people would choose the HD6XX.

Price has everything to do with performance. Quite.

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #27 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mostly marketing, and what the market can support. There is nothing physical about the HD800 that is worth more than $200.

It is a good headphone but ultimately is overpriced, GS1000 and PS1000 also overpriced. This is taking into consideration the price of the HE5, DT880 and the K701.

I kind of agree with that. Before I heard the 800s for the first time, I very excited and knowing they cost 1400.00, I was expecting a lot. When I heard them I was a little dissapointed. They did sound good, and were some of the best(but not the best) dynamics I ever heard. But they didn't wow me. They sounded really good, but not good enough of what I expecting 1400 dollars to sound like. They sounded like a much more refined hd580/600s with more bass and more details. I think 700-800.00 would have been about right. Just my opinion though. I'm sure some may think they are under priced.

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #28 of 685
About a year ago, everyone was lamenting the "death" of high end headphones since all of the previous top tier headphones were discontinued. Now that Sennheiser and Beyer have stepped up, with AKG possibly following suit soon, threads like these pop up and people make these ridiculous claims of the HD800 only being worth $200.

Edit: And I guess Grado, with the GS1000 and PS1000. But I prefer not to think about them too much.

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #29 of 685
Horse, dead and flogged come to mind. I'm sure the years of research cost them a bomb though.

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #30 of 685
Though I have heard hd800 and not really impressed by it, I don't think it is very overpriced. At least, out of the dynamic headphones I heard, it is better than the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back