Is the HD800 overpriced?
Jan 18, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #76 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think members that had the 650 will have more easy time to get use to the 800. it's maybe the evolution.
biggrin.gif

Considering they sound nothing alike in the slightest, I highly doubt you've even ever heard them.
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #77 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Choosing HD650 you'll get thick and lifeless.
smily_headphones1.gif
Re-cabling recommended.

Why? Does recabling make them nimble and lively?

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #78 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, they were not bad at all, at least with Patricia Barber. .

With that kind of endorsement, how could you NOT want to spend $1,400 ?

Jan 18, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #80 of 685
The HE-5 crap all over the HD800 in build quality & construction. I keep hearing how great the HD800 plastic is.. Nothing beats steel & metal.. If there was something tougher & more durable, tanks, airplanes, ships would be using a hard plastic.. & this coming from a HD800 fan. I want one.. I just think the build quality & looks don't match the 1400 price tag.. Senn is keeping the price at retail to make up for all the money they lost on the 650.. Plain & simple.. You could easily buy a 650 for less then MSRP.. & then people sell them used for 200.00.. Senn was losing money.. This time they are sticking it to us.. & why people think all headphones need to be affordable is beyond me.. No one but Sen knows how much it actually cost.. We all know it's not 1,400.. But again, they are in a business to make money.. Not fair, but neither is life.

Jan 18, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #81 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Relative to the HD600/650 they are quite "thin" sounding and detail oriented and tilted slightly towards the treble.
This is what I was getting at (and I believe also what I typed).

If the HD800 has so much bass why are there no less than two revisions/enhancements on a mod to increase the bass?
rolleyes.gif

I couldn't care less about comfort as I do not intend to wear headphones 24/7.

Out of curiosity, am I the only one who thinks the cups on the HD800 look backwards? (Not that this has any bearing on the headphone itself).

Cause people like exaggerated bass..

Jan 18, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #82 of 685
Maybe it's just me but I really don't see why the HD800 should cost anymore than the T1.

Jan 18, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #83 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean the consumer has to pay for Sennheiser's research into how much the consumer was prepared to pay?

I'm sure at one point they used a focus group to figure out several things. Do you like the way they look? How do they sound? How much would you pay for them?

So yes, part of the price of these cans (not a huge amount) comes from Sennheiser doing research into how much you would pay for them.

Jan 18, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #84 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe it's just me but I really don't see why the HD800 should cost anymore than the T1.

Why do you see it that way?

The MSRP of the T1 is $1295.00. The MSRP of the HD800 is $1399.00. A $100 difference really isn't that substantial.

Some of those that have reviewed the T1 have stated that they prefer its sound signature, but all of them have said that the technical ability and detail retrieval of the HD800 is superior. An HD800 owner already listed his T1 for sale in the forum after spending a few days with them.

Jan 18, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #85 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No they are not overpriced. The equipement you need to drive them with to their full potential on the other hand, are.

No.

Amplifiers are one of the lower margin products in audio. The problem is that hardly anyone knows what it costs to build a quality one.

The fastest way towards finding a clue is visiting the Electra-Print website. You can find schematics and price lists for their transformers. Yes, mostly speaker amps, but you still need power transformers, output transformers, et al. for headphone amps. Please note this is just the price of the iron. If you want to figure the rest, go to Michael Percy's website and download the catalog. You can use that to calculate the rest of the parts.

Throw in at least $100 more for a case and another $100 for jacks, wire, connectors, etc. Don't forget labor and tools, either. And if you're a business, you also get to pay payroll taxes, business taxes, a place to build them, insurance, utilities, and much else.

Now, tell me, how much would you have to charge for that amp just to keep the lights on and from going chapter 11? Go work through the numbers and see how they turn out.

In comparison to headphones, amp margins are slim. Most sources have a pretty healthy margin and cables have the fattest - obese, even - margins of all. Anecdotally, you can see this by how many people are manufacturing each product. The reason there's such a glut of cable pushers is that they are immensely profitable. Draw your own conclusions.

As for the HD-800, can we dispense with the whiny self-entitlement already? This is a luxury product. It is not quite in the same realm as food, clothing or shelter. No one needs one to get by. The HD-800 is for people who want one.

If you don't think it meets your needs, fine. Don't buy one. Just leave out the hand-wringing, mewling, whining, crying, and puling about how (sniff) unfair (whimper) it isn't quite right. You are not entitled to have Sennheiser or any other company personally make a product specific to your needs. Get over it.

Jan 18, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #86 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701/702 are really nothing like the HD800. I owned the 702. Even though an upgraded cable helps, you can't compare the sound quality to the HD800. The 702 has very little bass and distorts easily at higher volumes. The only thing slightly similar is the soundstage. Even though they are built fairly well, they feel flimsy, especially with the elastic string on the headband and the plastic grill covering the outside of the driver. The earpads are uncomfortable and the stock cable that comes with it is one of the worst I've ever seen. For the price, it's not a bad headphone. But I'd much rather have a DT880/600 which has a more natural tonal balance.

Gee, when you write that about the K702's, I do wonder if I own the same HP's you're referring to. I wonder where along your headphone journey you owned the K702's. How long did you own them for and what you amp'd them with.

IMO, the K702's are a steal for the amount they cost. Stunning sound quality for the buck. Granted, from the outset, I've had them plugged into a DPS powered HR UltraDesktop Amp. This undoubtedly has something to do with it. They are certainly not Denons when it comes to bass, but they don't lack bass IMO, because the Denons, especially the D5000 are endowed with perhaps too much bass. I took very long to try the K702's because of the concern for lack of bass. With some driver exercise, they are equal or better than any can I've heard so far. Certainly not worse. As to destorting at high volumes...
rolleyes.gif

I can sympathize with the stock cable comment, but a replacement cable is easily obtained and you still haven't spent US$500!!

Jan 18, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #87 of 685
Quote:

No.

Amplifiers are one of the lower margin products in audio. The problem is that hardly anyone knows what it costs to build a quality one.

The fastest way towards finding a clue is visiting the Electra-Print website. You can find schematics and price lists for their transformers. Yes, mostly speaker amps, but you still need power transformers, output transformers, et al. for headphone amps. Please note this is just the price of the iron. If you want to figure the rest, go to Michael Percy's website and download the catalog. You can use that to calculate the rest of the parts.

Throw in at least $100 more for a case and another $100 for jacks, wire, connectors, etc. Don't forget labor and tools, either. And if you're a business, you also get to pay payroll taxes, business taxes, a place to build them, insurance, utilities, and much else.

Now, tell me, how much would you have to charge for that amp just to keep the lights on and from going chapter 11? Go work through the numbers and see how they turn out.

In comparison to headphones, amp margins are slim. Most sources have a pretty healthy margin and cables have the fattest - obese, even - margins of all. Anecdotally, you can see this by how many people are manufacturing each product. The reason there's such a glut of cable pushers is that they are immensely profitable. Draw your own conclusions.

As for the HD-800, can we dispense with the whiny self-entitlement already? This is a luxury product. It is not quite in the same realm as food, clothing or shelter. No one needs one to get by. The HD-800 is for people who want one.

If you don't think it meets your needs, fine. Don't buy one. Just leave out the hand-wringing, mewling, whining, crying, and puling about how (sniff) unfair (whimper) it isn't quite right. You are not entitled to have Sennheiser or any other company personally make a product specific to your needs. Get over it.

Hear, hear! You tell'm Uncle Erik
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #88 of 685
I don't have a major issue with the set retail price, but the "fixed price policy" on the HD800 seems to have annoyed a lot of people...
The retailers must love the HD800 though, being able to maintain a very good profit margin without being forced to discount due to competition...

Jan 18, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #90 of 685
I find the HD800's to be ugly. I just can't get over their looks. This is why it's highly unlikely that I'll eventually own one.

As to the price, I'm indifferent to it. I can certainly understand the price and intent. It's Senn's high end can that's sold in a velvet lined metal case. That's luxury and will be priced as such.

It's all about how much you're willing to pay for that extra little performance offered in a premium/luxury package. It will never be cheap and can never be expected to be cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back