Is the Beyer T1 what I'm looking for?
Aug 3, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #31 of 69

Quote:
Indeed. The listening begins now.

wow thats exactly the 3 headphones im going to have! what a coincidence! congrats, they all look beautiful.

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #32 of 69
Initial impressions incoming..

Setup: Oppo BD-93 -> Darkvoice 332 (The T1s didn't sound right with the Burson after some brief listening - I'll revisit later).

One day of listening and I am loving my first foray into Beyerdynamic audio. Guess it helps when you start at the top. The T1s easily have the best tonal balance of any headphone I've heard. To my ears its simply perfect. As others have mentioned before, these phones are genuine all rounders with no glaring deficiencies to speak of. 

The bass response surprised me - these things have some serious performance in the low end. I would say they are slightly above neutral. Unlike the D7000s, the T1s seem to possess ample impact but enough control that it doesn't disrupt the midrange frequencies. The bass line at the beginning of Incubus' The Original has great impact and clarity. The T1s retain their sonic integrity on even the most bass heavy tracks. This is not a strike against the D7000s...anyone buying them knows what they're getting. If you're listening to Bloc Party you'll each for the T1s, but if you're in the mood for Daft Punk its D7000 time. In terms of pure quantity, the T1s are up around D7000 levels without the emphasis on mid-bass. The depth surpasses that of the K702/HD650/D7000 to my ears, though I'm sure many will contest that notion.

Detail is wonderful and competes with the K702 in this regard. Its painfully easy to hear which tracks are one dimensional on the T1s. Find the right recording and it'll seem like a puzzle being put together right before your ears. Angus & Julia Stone's Yellow Brick Road was so laden with detail it could have crumbled at any second. Modest Mouse's We  Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank sounded rejuvenated and energetic on the T1s. Compared to the K702s the detail levels are similar, but they're more upfront and apparent on the AKG offering. 

Vocals are pretty smooth thanks to the slightly relaxed treble response and warmish midrange. Florence and the Machine's Lungs is a disc I've had sibilance issues with in the past but the T1s don't exhibit any here. Female vocals are quite intimate sounding, reminiscent of the HD650s (their biggest strength IMO) which is impressive. The D7000s don't even come into the conversation here. On the T1s, Leona Lewis' rendition of Run has never sounded better. Perhaps the one aspect of the T1s I'm disappointed with is the soundstage - it just doesn't appear to sound that airy especially in contrast to the AKG K702. Intstrument separation is good, if not great. Whether it be due to my amp or my inflated expectations, it has left me wanting more. Perhaps burn in will help, or not.

Build quality wise these are the best out of all the cans I've owned. Definitely sturdier the D7000s and classier than the HD650s. The T1 logo is incredibly suave. I won't say they're more comfortable than the D7000s which are like placing cushions on your ears, but the T1s do fine; easily besting the HD650/AKG 702s. 

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #34 of 69

Quote:
Initial impressions incoming..

Setup: Oppo BD-93 -> Darkvoice 332 (The T1s didn't sound right with the Burson after some brief listening - I'll revisit later).

One day of listening and I am loving my first foray into Beyerdynamic audio. Guess it helps when you start at the top. The T1s easily have the best tonal balance of any headphone I've heard. To my ears its simply perfect. As others have mentioned before, these phones are genuine all rounders with no glaring deficiencies to speak of. 

The bass response surprised me - these things have some serious performance in the low end. I would say they are slightly above neutral. Unlike the D7000s, the T1s seem to possess ample impact but enough control that it doesn't disrupt the midrange frequencies. The bass line at the beginning of Incubus' The Original has great impact and clarity. The T1s retain their sonic integrity on even the most bass heavy tracks. This is not a strike against the D7000s...anyone buying them knows what they're getting. If you're listening to Bloc Party you'll each for the T1s, but if you're in the mood for Daft Punk its D7000 time. In terms of pure quantity, the T1s are up around D7000 levels without the emphasis on mid-bass. The depth surpasses that of the K702/HD650/D7000 to my ears, though I'm sure many will contest that notion.

Detail is wonderful and competes with the K702 in this regard. Its painfully easy to hear which tracks are one dimensional on the T1s. Find the right recording and it'll seem like a puzzle being put together right before your ears. Angus & Julia Stone's Yellow Brick Road was so laden with detail it could have crumbled at any second. Modest Mouse's We  Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank sounded rejuvenated and energetic on the T1s. Compared to the K702s the detail levels are similar, but they're more upfront and apparent on the AKG offering. 

Vocals are pretty smooth thanks to the slightly relaxed treble response and warmish midrange. Florence and the Machine's Lungs is a disc I've had sibilance issues with in the past but the T1s don't exhibit any here. Female vocals are quite intimate sounding, reminiscent of the HD650s (their biggest strength IMO) which is impressive. The D7000s don't even come into the conversation here. On the T1s, Leona Lewis' rendition of Run has never sounded better. Perhaps the one aspect of the T1s I'm disappointed with is the soundstage - it just doesn't appear to sound that airy especially in contrast to the AKG K702. Intstrument separation is good, if not great. Whether it be due to my amp or my inflated expectations, it has left me wanting more. Perhaps burn in will help, or not.

Build quality wise these are the best out of all the cans I've owned. Definitely sturdier the D7000s and classier than the HD650s. The T1 logo is incredibly suave. I won't say they're more comfortable than the D7000s which are like placing cushions on your ears, but the T1s do fine; easily besting the HD650/AKG 702s. 

i agree with everything you wrote! great impressions! ive tried a few of the flagships and wont be parting with my t1 any time soon.  

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #35 of 69
With the possible exception of the soundstage, these sound like my perfect cans (good thing too, since I've just ordered them).

But coming from AD900s, I'm expecting that everything will sound like it has a congested soundstage in comparison (and of course, the T1s will blow them out of the water in every other aspect).

Aug 4, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #36 of 69

Quote:
With the possible exception of the soundstage, these sound like my perfect cans (good thing too, since I've just ordered them).

But coming from AD900s, I'm expecting that everything will sound like it has a congested soundstage in comparison (and of course, the T1s will blow them out of the water in every other aspect).

The T1 doesn't have a congested soundstage by any measure IMO.  Inferior soundstage to the AD900? -not based on my memory.  And I liked the AD900, great headphone, but not in the T1's class.  The T1 is top of the food chain in every aspect to my ears, it does nothing wrong and everything well.

Aug 4, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #37 of 69
Wow, This thread was exactly what I needed and have been searching for. 

My HD650's I love, especially for extended listening sessions. But I have been craving more detail and a better high end. I too was looking at Headphonic's deal, and was umming and ahhing about pulling the trigger on them until someone bought the last pair and saved me the anguish for a couple of weeks.

Wonder who that was (O)_o

I have been listening to some music lately where I know some things are just missing. I noticed it especially today listening to Devin Townsend's live recording of Deadhead that comes with Synchestra. At the beginning of the track with the 650s the light cymbals are just not there.

Well, thanks a ton Leng you basically answered everything I wanted to know.  Now to empty my wallet.

Aug 4, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #38 of 69
Hi,

I recently joined headfi because I too am looking at getting some t1's and am looking to make a relatively educated decision.
I'm currently living abroad in a very remote area so trying them is impossible.

Coming from hd650s myself I enjoyed your review

Thanks

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #40 of 69
Nice to see this thread is helping others. I wouldn't take my opinion as gospel though...I'm sure my opinions will change slightly the next few weeks.

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #41 of 69
Well I'm pulling the trigger since it reads pretty much like how I expect it to be - something that rivals the K701 in clarity and soundstage but a bit smoother and more musical, more bass but not overtly like the Denon sound is exactly what I would want and the research always seems to be pushing towards the T1 over the HD800 in this regard and your review just reaffirms that, plus the price is just too good to pass up at Headphonic (like someone mentioned, it's possibly THE best price you can find on the net right now).  

BTW what was the issue with Burson and the T1 pairing?  

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #42 of 69

Quote:
Nice to see this thread is helping others. I wouldn't take my opinion as gospel though...I'm sure my opinions will change slightly the next few weeks.

Noooo you will be responsible for the disappointment I feel when I buy them and hate them HOHOHO

Seriously though I have heard them before but it was a while ago now, and although I had positive impressions then I just wasn't ready to trust that after so much time had elapsed. Also never with my current amp.  I was hoping to get to the Sydney meet in July to try them out on my rig, but couldn't make it. Was just nice to see someone confirm my thoughts on them so I shall take the plunge I think.  That price is too good to miss out on.

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #43 of 69
I recently acquired the T1's as well as the Denon D7000's. With my Burson amp at least, so far I much prefer the Denons. I think they are magnificient.

That said, I can tell the T1's will be fantastic if I can get the right amp. I'll likely be getting a tube amp soon. The Burson/T1 combo sounds a bit too 'diffuse,' and the top end is too hot/glaring, and not infrequently sibilant, making my ears tense up. But again, in spite of that, I can hear the virtues of this headphone, and I'll be happy to find the right amp match for them.

Aug 4, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #44 of 69

Quote:
I recently acquired the T1's as well as the Denon D7000's. With my Burson amp at least, so far I much prefer the Denons. I think they are magnificient.

That said, I can tell the T1's will be fantastic if I can get the right amp. I'll likely be getting a tube amp soon. The Burson/T1 combo sounds a bit too 'diffuse,' and the top end is too hot/glaring, and not infrequently sibilant, making my ears tense up. But again, in spite of that, I can hear the virtues of this headphone, and I'll be happy to find the right amp match for them.

While I have not heard the T1 with the Burson there are many reports here of it not being good with the T1. Tube amps make a huge difference IMO with the T1. My CSP-2 is a match made in heaven. It is the most synergy I have had in my system. I also had great success with the D7000 with SS amps such as the Matrix I once owned.  While the Matrix was good with my T1 the CSP-2 took it up to reference quality and I listen much less to my D7000 than the T1 because the T1 IMO is a major upgrade over my D7000

Aug 4, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #45 of 69

Quote:
The T1 doesn't have a congested soundstage by any measure IMO.  Inferior soundstage to the AD900? -not based on my memory.  And I liked the AD900, great headphone, but not in the T1's class.  The T1 is top of the food chain in every aspect to my ears, it does nothing wrong and everything well.

Well now I'm even happier! That comment was just based on leng jai's impression that he was disappointed with the soundstage (although that may have changed since then...). So since the AD700/AD900s are always given very high praise for their soundstage, I figured it might be a little lesser in that regard (while of course being effectively incomparable in every other aspect). If not, I think I've may have found my perfect headphone in every way...
beyersmile.png

leng - Given that you've managed to influence at least three other people in this thread alone to buy T1s in the Beyerdynamic relaunch special, maybe you should put your review up over at Headphonic (or a link back to this thread). Given the outcome, I'm sure Marcus won't object!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back