Is that headphone worth it?
Aug 17, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #16 of 43
My ear drums scream with delight at the thought of having airated sex pumped through them and my ear skin is manly enough to resist an orbital sander. 

Quote:
For me pretty much any Grado can I have ever bought / tried....  Can't stand them.  The sound makes your ear drums bleed and the pads  sand off your ear skin.   Not to mention they are built with the quality of a cheep Chinese toy. 

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #17 of 43
Too aggressive leading to a harsh, tiring, listening experience. Couple that with outer and inner ear aches from the fit after about 30 minutes and I have just given up on Grados. I try to keep out of Grado threads since my experience is so polar to most of Head-fi. They sound to me like they have a built in Loudness curve (like a U) starting with a hump in the midbass, recessing the mids a good few decibels, then spiking high in the treble.

If you look at the headroom measurements you will see just this across all of their headphones to varying degrees. Interestingly enough the more you pay for Grados the worse the effect seems to be. Having seen this now, I'm certain I will never buy another Grado if it is more of the same.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/503995/best-headphones-around-400/45#post_6823396
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/503995/best-headphones-around-400/45#post_6824378

Aug 17, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #21 of 43

Quote:
Since when did Sennheiser HD 595 became bad for music? Bad troll is bad.

They actually get bashed quite a bit around here. But many agree that they are okay for cinema, and some people seem too genuinely like them. They do seem a bit overpriced compared to the HD555, which has the same drivers and can be easily modded to sound identical, for around $100 less. They just got knocked around a little recently in the "John McEnroe" thread.

Aug 17, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #22 of 43

Quote:
They actually get bashed quite a bit around here. But many agree that they are okay for cinema, and some people seem too genuinely like them. They do seem a bit overpriced compared to the HD555, which has the same drivers and can be easily modded to sound identical, for around $100 less. They just got knocked around a little recently in the "John McEnroe" thread.

But they're good for music? I've listen to them in a store and decided to buy them, will do later toda.

Aug 17, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #23 of 43
Stax sr-202.

The fact that everything was made from plastic, especially the headband, made me wonder if Stax tightassed out on the build quality. Sound didn't exactly blow me away either. Imo I found the HD600s to be a more enjoyable can.

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #24 of 43

Quote:
Like the OP I found the AD700's disapointing.

Also...

JVC HA-RX700
Shure SHR840
Koss UR40
Sony MDR-XB500

Ah, I find the RX700 quite disappointing as well..Contrary to the rave reviews on Head-Fi, I think RX700 has bloated bass, and it's kinda heavy too..

Quote:

I think so too..HD555 is great for movies, AND music :)
I love them, and the fit's great..Absolutely one of the most comfortable cans I've ever tried..(I've tried AD700, SR80i, SR60, Dt880, MS2)

With a little mod, which doesn't involve pervasive means, you can achieve a sound that's identical to HD595. This, in effect, renders the HD595 into an overpriced can. 

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #25 of 43
-Koss PortaPro
-HiFi Man RE2
-Grado SR-325is
-80i Magnum Lite
-SkullCandy Titan

I have to mention that I opportunity to listen to the Stax O2 and walked away wondering what the fuss was about. I also listened to the Senn Orpheus and as truly terrific as the did sound I couldn't help but scratch my head at the prices.

I'm not a Grado hater as I have the Grado SR-225i and have happily owned many. I've also had the pleasure of hearing the HP-1000 which I think is also one of the best looking headphones I've seen in person. But that's a different thread. LoL

I wasn't overly impressed with the Senn 595. The Denon D7000 is on the border of it not being worth, to me, it at retail. At street priced I think it's more fairly priced.

We'll see where Fang prices the HE-6. I think it's a top-tier headphone but if he's not careful he might price it out of contention.

Aug 17, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #26 of 43
I have tried AD700.. I agree with the first poster.

Before buy a pair, i think AD700 is good in comfortability, but the fact is it is not comfy on my head. I can't stand using it for more than 30 minutes. This is not a joke, it's true! Most of my friends said that AD700 is good in comfortability, but i am not! I am so sensitive in comfortability. Comfy first, sound quality second.

Besides the comfortability, the sound is not natural, so much sibilance, light bass, and the sound stage is too wide for me..

The second is UM3X (not headphones though). My consideration to buy UM3X is only reading from reviews.. After got one pair, not more than a week i sold it. I prefer PK1 to UM3X. Till now i can't understand why do people love UM3X
confused_face_2.gif
biggrin.gif

That's all..

Aug 17, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #27 of 43

Quote:
-Koss PortaPro
-HiFi Man RE2
-Grado SR-325is
-80i Magnum Lite
-SkullCandy Titan

I have to mention that I opportunity to listen to the Stax O2 and walked away wondering what the fuss was about. I also listened to the Senn Orpheus and as truly terrific as the did sound I couldn't help but scratch my head at the prices.

I'm not a Grado hater as I have the Grado SR-225i and have happily owned many. I've also had the pleasure of hearing the HP-1000 which I think is also one of the best looking headphones I've seen in person. But that's a different thread. LoL

I wasn't overly impressed with the Senn 595. The Denon D7000 is on the border of it not being worth, to me, it at retail. At street priced I think it's more fairly priced.

We'll see where Fang prices the HE-6. I think it's a top-tier headphone but if he's not careful he might price it out of contention.

You don't like the PortaPros? Despite the slightly awkward, retro look, I think I like it quite a bit as it sounds a little like SR60..I think I'm a Grado fan? Lols..

That said, I don't like the MS2's sound though. The MS1, on the other hand, sounded natural and relatively enjoyable to my untrained ears :)

Aug 17, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #28 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by killz23  

" You don't like the PortaPros? Despite the slightly awkward, retro look, I think I like it quite a bit as it sounds a little like SR60..I think I'm a Grado fan? Lols..
That said, I don't like the MS2's sound though. The MS1, on the other hand, sounded natural and relatively enjoyable to my untrained ears :)"

Wow! That wasn't my experience. I felt the bloated mid bass hump of the PortaPro bled all over the mids and the highs were recessed. I had the SR-80 at the time and didn't hear much in the way of similarity. I believe the SR-60 I have heard had thinner bass. Not only that I didn't think the PortaPro was very comfortable. I do think they look really cool. I would have kept them if they sounded better. I had those puppies twice. Once when I was a teen around when they first came out. I didn't know from anything back then. Then again about two years ago.

I won't even get started on the piercing ear bloody shrieks of sound that the 325is exhibits. I might be understating that a bit. Lmao!

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #29 of 43

Quote:
But they're good for music? I've listen to them in a store and decided to buy them, will do later toda.

TBH, I thought that they sucked the life right out of music, but like I said some people do seem to like them so YMMV.

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #30 of 43

Quote:
My ear drums scream with delight at the thought of having airated sex pumped through them and my ear skin is manly enough to resist an orbital sander. 

Haha, well said. I just received my grado sr 225 (my first grado). And it's hard to explain, but compared to my RE0s, they sound so sweet. Yes, they have harsh sibilance, but grados are really supposed to be played at lower sound levels, aren't they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back