Is Sansa Clip + really that good?!
May 18, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #301 of 467
I have noticed that sarcasm often does not work very well on forums and also different languages do not understand it so I try to avoid it lol. You could try ending your post with "/sarcasm" to make sure it is clear.

May 18, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #302 of 467
I have noticed that sarcasm often does not work very well on forums and also different languages do not understand it so I try to avoid it lol. You could try ending your post with "/sarcasm" to make sure it is clear.

Yes, that's a great idea nicholars, I'll take this onboard and apologize for any confusion caused.

May 18, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #303 of 467
While the C3 is showing a bass roll-off, its output impedance is likely to be very low (otherwise, you'd see a huge treble roll-off on that graph, because of the TF10's impedance curve):

http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/ColorflyC3/data.htm

Also, I'd rather people didn't resurect my angrier posts. It's water under the bridge and there is no need to steer people up again.

May 18, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #304 of 467
Yes, that's a great idea nicholars, I'll take this onboard and apologize for any confusion caused.

Last time you posted with regards to your comment about higher the impedance the better which I was discussing in the thread, nobody would have construed that you were being sarcastic. I apologise sincerely if you think I intentionally misquoted you, as that was not at all my intention. I found the specifications regarding the colorfly c3 on google on a review website. Also I am curious why you are such a big proponent of the Colorfly. Its SQ isn't great, it doesn't even have a flat frequency response, a pretty bad UI not much other feature and the list goes on...?

Quote:
While the C3 is showing a bass roll-off, its output impedance is likely to be very low (otherwise, you'd see a huge treble roll-off on that graph, because of the TF10's impedance curve):

http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/ColorflyC3/data.htm

Also, I'd rather people didn't resurect my angrier posts. It's water under the bridge and there is no need to steer people up again.

Have you personally measured the C3's impedance? I would had I not sold it. It behaves ver erratically with my extremely sensitive Shures and hisses very loudly.

May 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #305 of 467
Last time you posted with regards to your comment about higher the impedance the better which I was discussing in the thread, nobody would have construed that you were being sarcastic. I apologise sincerely if you think I intentionally misquoted you, as that was not at all my intention. I found the specifications regarding the colorfly c3 on google on a review website. Also I am curious why you are such a big proponent of the Colorfly. Its SQ isn't great, it doesn't even have a flat frequency response, a pretty bad UI not much other feature and the list goes on...?

I've been well aware of the bass roll-off for sometime but I would like to see something solid, possibly the review you were reading regarding the output impedance, 26ohms is rather high and I'm sure I would hear at least bass or treble alterations especially with sensitive IEM's like TF10, RDB+ V1, or even the Heir 3Ai I have here on loan atm but I do not detect anything bare the roll off seen above and take Skamp's opinion regarding the impedance at least much more over yours.

Regarding the player, I listen with my ears not with graphs, and C3 stacks up better than any ipod, Cowon or Sansa player I have heard, I learn from hands on experience which you can see again the list of sources on my profile. I'm not sure what IEM's you tried but over my time have created some very nice synergy with C3. I am not Colorfly fanboy but recognize decent sound quality when I hear it. The player is not suitable for higher impedance gear anyway as it only puts out 12 mW if you weren't aware.

Pretty much from an Australian point of view, I see these kinds of conversations through and through here on Head-Fi daily, the graphs, the flat curves, the never ending debate between right vs wrong and I'm not interested sorry. There's a whole thread (actually been two) that add up to over 150 pages of people very happy with Colorfly C3 some of them also reputable members than myself, and the majority of them using low impedance IEM. I tend to take their opinions and add that to my own experience of the player, not some random member who's been around a few months, telling me how it sounds.

Cheers,

May 18, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #306 of 467
When I first made this thread it was because I was not that impressed with the clip+ compared to the amount of hype around it... But now I have owned it for a few years I have come to the conclusion that it is probably the biggest hifi bargain available.... The sound quality is actually really good (with IEM's).... except the bass could be a bit better... The mids and treble are excellent and you can whack in a 32-64gb microSD for hardly any money which will get you a 32-64Gb player for <£50 which sounds pretty much as good as any other portable player.

May 18, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #307 of 467
.... hifi bargain .... The .... except the bass could be a bit better... 32-64Gb player for <£50 which sounds pretty much as good as any other portable player.

I agree about it being a major bargain, and it's even more of a bargain now. On UK Amazon Clip+ 8GB is identically priced as when I bought mine in December 2010. At the time 32GB microSDHC were unavailable here (they existed in advertsing and on price lists but nobody could actually supply one), then they became available at silly prices like £90. Now a genuine Sandisk Class 4 or 10 is below £20.

I was just sitting here listening to Neil Young and Crazy Horse's Ragged Glory. I have a freshly ground and brewed strong coffee. It's not warm but the sun is shining, there are blossoms on the trees, and scents of spring in the air. And I'm thinking my Clip+ is sounding really, really good, the bass is deep and powerful. Then I notice it on my desk, switched off. I'm listening to my iRiver H340 :)

May 18, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #309 of 467
Quote:
I've been well aware of the bass roll-off for sometime but I would like to see something solid, possibly the review you were reading regarding the output impedance, 26ohms is rather high and I'm sure I would hear at least bass or treble alterations especially with sensitive IEM's like TF10, RDB+ V1, or even the Heir 3Ai I have here on loan atm but I do not detect anything bare the roll off seen above and take Skamp's opinion regarding the impedance at least much more over yours.

Regarding the player, I listen with my ears not with graphs, and C3 stacks up better than any ipod, Cowon or Sansa player I have heard, I learn from hands on experience which you can see again the list of sources on my profile. I'm not sure what IEM's you tried but over my time have created some very nice synergy with C3. I am not Colorfly fanboy but recognize decent sound quality when I hear it. The player is not suitable for higher impedance gear anyway as it only puts out 12 mW if you weren't aware.

Pretty much from an Australian point of view, I see these kinds of conversations through and through here on Head-Fi daily, the graphs, the flat curves, the never ending debate between right vs wrong and I'm not interested sorry. There's a whole thread (actually been two) that add up to over 150 pages of people very happy with Colorfly C3 some of them also reputable members than myself, and the majority of them using low impedance IEM. I tend to take their opinions and add that to my own experience of the player, not some random member who's been around a few months, telling me how it sounds.

Cheers,

The sad thing is that there is no debate. I apologise for being some random member who has been around a few months but would like to inform you that I have been a member of AES for a lot longer and only joined head-fi to inquire about a certain product I was looking into purchasing. Subsequently I realised the sheer amount of 'interesting' things that exist on the forums so decided to contribute (point out audiophoolery) and inquire how these thoughts come to being.

Even if you want to ignore empiricism, and would like to go with your ears only, why not perform a certain type of test (if I mention it here, one of the admins will censor this post. Hint: remove visual stimuli) and you will find that the clip+ will perform better. 

For myself, all the 'reputable' member seem to get banned or censored or get stuck in the science of sound forums. Oh and they also tend to have engineering backgrounds.

May 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #310 of 467
I realised the sheer amount of BS that exist on the forums so decided to contribute...

Would you consider rephrasing that?

btw in my post I didn't criticise the Clip+'s bass or actually make any comment on its sound quality. I was being a bit playful but also truthfully describing what I'd just experienced in the previous couple of minutes. Whatever words you write people can read (sometimes apparently even see) something else, that being based on expectation and confirmation and of course context.

May 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #311 of 467
Quote:
It can. For one, it will make the the playback speed more accurate, and for another, you have a 10-band fully parametric equalizer available in Rockbox.

Quote:
Yes the bass on the clip+ is definately not the strong point... But the mids, treble and overall sound are awesome for the price.

Did you explore  Rockbox and its fabulous EQ yet? 

May 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #313 of 467
Quote:

Maybe I should then but I am not sure if it will actually make the bass better.

10 bands, and you can set the frequency and Q-value of each band, means you can make minute adjustments, and just give a little boost to the area you find lacking.......you may be surprised with what you can accomplish. It may take you a while to experiment fully, but what do you have to lose? 

May 18, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #314 of 467
Bass roll-off on C3 is due to the 220uF output caps required by the PCM1770's spec. Even with TF10 (32ohm), -1dB @ 40Hz and corner frequency @ 22Hz ain't that bad at all. If you use it with an amp, there should be no roll-off at all (higher impedance headphone works in a lesser, but similar manner on pushing down the corner frequency). Also will be interesting if someone decided to mod it with bigger caps, which seems to be fairly easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back