Is Sansa Clip + really that good?!
May 20, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #316 of 467
Guys, as usual, I've nuked a bunch of off-topic posts. If you want to discuss other topics, start your own thread. It's not that hard.

May 20, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #317 of 467
Ah yes just installed Rockbox to my Clip+ ...

mmmmmmm tweakage!

Not sure if it actually sounds better or worse than the stock firmware but at least there is more EQ options and I can balance out the channels.

Thanks for the tip!

May 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #318 of 467
Quote:
Ah yes just installed Rockbox to my Clip+ ...

mmmmmmm tweakage!

Not sure if it actually sounds better or worse than the stock firmware but at least there is more EQ options and I can balance out the channels.

Thanks for the tip!

It will give you a little more battery life too. 
smile_phones.gif

May 21, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #319 of 467
Rockbox is a lot better than I expected, even the sound quality is a big improvement because the EQ is so much more customisable than the rubbish EQ on the OF. I can actually have a 6db boost on sub bass without horrible mid bass bleed and the Clip+ actually sounds bassy now. Also the channel balance is useful. Yesterday my PC crashed and it was stuck on the USB screen until the battery ran out the reset switch didn't work.. which was a bit worrying but it works now.

Sansa Clip+ - £30 +
32Gb MicroSD card - £16 +
Rockbox EQ - Free +
Sennheiser IE8 - £90 (used)

= £136 = Win

I challenge anyone to get better sound quality and storage space for less money :p

May 21, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #320 of 467
Rockbox is a lot better than I expected....... it was stuck on the USB screen until the battery ran out the reset switch didn't work..

However much you like Rockbox now, you'll probably like it even more as you use it. If you want to do something differently you often can. You can create custom display and search of the database, or run a meier type or custom crossfeed, or create a custom While Playing Screen that displays what you want to see displayed, not what someone else thought is useful. You can have all these set as a named config and a bunch of different options as a different config and toggle between them. Rockbox's value becomes more apparent the longer you use it, especially if you read the manual and discover what you can do with it. If you ever find yourself taking it for granted then all you need do is spend 10 minutes with a player that only runs the manufacturer's firmware and UI.

As for the reset, I've seen people mention it and it does seem that occasionally there is no option but to let the battery drain completely. But a couple of times I've thought I was in the same situation but just held the power button down for what seemed a ridiculously long time (maybe minute or two) and it did reset the player.

May 21, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #322 of 467
Quote:
You can organise the files as you like if you use USB mass storage mode but:

the original firmware can display a Folder view but actually it's an abstraction - it uses the database. If the file isn't in the database it isn't displayed. With a 32 GB card the database refresh times on Sansa firmware are a genuine irritation. Rockbox's folder view is a genuine file tree view and you can easily switch between different file views: Music, Supported, All, Playlists. You can also toggle between sorting directories: Alphabetical, By Date, By Newest Date. It really makes life simple. In Rockbox you can also set font size and how the text scrolls so it is much better dealing with long names.

Thanx a lot. I am liking my Sansa Clip+'s sound more now. I am using it with my Sennheiser HD 595.
The cheap IEMs I have don't sound good.

I haven't
tongue_smile.gif
 rockboxed my Clip+ yet.

May 21, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #327 of 467
Your avatar is disgusting and despicable. You've got the Bin Laden's No2. terrorist in your avatar.

I know who it is.

If you look a little more closely you'll notice it isn't complimentary.

An image of a person isn't disgusting or despicable, it's merely a likeness. If the name or an image of a wicked person is printed in a newspaper neither that newspaper nor the picture nor those words are "disgusting and despicable". Pixels and syllables are neither good nor bad; they are used to convey meaning. If one uses that image of the bad person to convey approval or support that may be despicable. The same image can be used to pass negative comment or disapproval or to mock or ridicule the subject.

This isn't the place to complain about it and I would prefer not to spend any more time stating the obvious so if you think it's something that needs attention then please bring it to the attention of the board moderators/admins, thank you.

btw are you somehow related to Jack the Ripper? Your name worries me.

May 27, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #329 of 467
No. I tried replacing my iPod with a clip+ (with rockbox), and it has been a painful experience. The main advantage is the price and portability. There is no audible improvement in sound quality - in fact it is actually worse, because every time the clip+/rockbox uses CPU (like when navigating or updating your database, which takes forever with a 64 gb microsd) it generates audible noise. The buttons and the screen on the clip+ make navigating a large library extremely difficult, because you have to click the button and hold it down to scroll quickly. The navigation is also really laggy, which is weird because it is flash based. It sometimes will go to the 'pitch' settings in my pocket and cause the pitch to change, which is really irritating. The battery life sucks. There is no good software for managing music files on it for mac - I tried MusicBrainz Picard and it is dismal (buggy, slow with large numbers of files, confusing interface).

May 27, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #330 of 467
Quote:
No. I tried replacing my iPod with a clip+ (with rockbox), and it has been a painful experience. The main advantage is the price and portability. There is no audible improvement in sound quality - in fact it is actually worse, because every time the clip+/rockbox uses CPU (like when navigating or updating your database, which takes forever with a 64 gb microsd) it generates audible noise. The buttons and the screen on the clip+ make navigating a large library extremely difficult, because you have to click the button and hold it down to scroll quickly. The navigation is also really laggy, which is weird because it is flash based. It sometimes will go to the 'pitch' settings in my pocket and cause the pitch to change, which is really irritating. The battery life sucks. There is no good software for managing music files on it for mac - I tried MusicBrainz Picard and it is dismal (buggy, slow with large numbers of files, confusing interface).

I use a 64gb microsd with the clip+ too and rarely have the problems which you mention. Also what ipod do you use and do you use IEMS or headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back