Is Sansa Clip + really that good?!
May 27, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #331 of 467
No. I tried replacing my iPod with a clip+ (with rockbox), and it has been a painful experience. The main advantage is the price and portability. There is no audible improvement in sound quality - in fact it is actually worse, because every time the clip+/rockbox uses CPU (like when navigating or updating your database, which takes forever with a 64 gb microsd) it generates audible noise. The buttons and the screen on the clip+ make navigating a large library extremely difficult, because you have to click the button and hold it down to scroll quickly. The navigation is also really laggy, which is weird because it is flash based. It sometimes will go to the 'pitch' settings in my pocket and cause the pitch to change, which is really irritating. The battery life sucks. There is no good software for managing music files on it for mac - I tried MusicBrainz Picard and it is dismal (buggy, slow with large numbers of files, confusing interface).

I have a Clip+ 8gb with 32gb Class 10 card. It's full,

I find browsing and navigating is really fast, quicker than any other player I've used. I use a good quality microSDHC and Directory Cache is enabled in the settings. From the Rockbox manual:

Directory Cache. Rockbox has the ability to cache the contents of your drive in RAM.
The Directory Cache takes a small amount of memory away from Rockbox
that would otherwise be used to buffer music, but it speeds up navigation in the
file browser by eliminating the slight pause between the time a navigation button
is pressed and the time Rockbox responds. Turning this setting on activates the
directory cache, and turning it off deactivates the directory cache.
Note: The first time you enable the directory cache, Rockbox will request a reboot
of the player and upon restarting take a few minutes to scan the drive. After this,
the directory cache will work in the background.

You can't stop the annoying noises but it is possible to reduce how often they appear. The following will also help with battery life:

Disable the database auto updating and disable the gathering of runtime data. I found that runtime data being gathered kept the player busy an awful lot, as did database refreshes. This killed battery life and also made generated the squeaks, hums and clicks and ticks. It's easy enough to run the update yourself if and when you add or remove music.

On my Clip+ I actually deleted the database files and disabled the database update in the settings. I'm happy with a file browser player. This doesn't stop tags being read and displayed but does mean needing to either have music well organised or relying on playlists in preference to file browsing. I keep my music very nicely organised and use playlists generated on PC.

Another aspect of battery life is the type of audio being decoded. Some formats are easier on the player than others. If you're using lossy music and coming from an iPod I assume your collection is mostly m4a and mp3. m4a takes more CPU time to decode so it uses the battery quicker. mp3 is very efficient on Rockbox, as is Ogg Vorbis. If you have the original CDs or lossless original files you could encode to mp3 or ogg instead of m4a.

You can lock the player before putting it in your pocket. Press the Select and Home button at the same time. Same to unlock. No more pitch changes. If you set the player so first button press only enables the backlight then you get fewer unexpected in-the-pocket button presses anyway.

I can't help with management software. My experience with players is that in the end it's simpler to have a well organised music library on PC and then just use normal file manager and file sync tools. I use my own script for making correctly formatted playlists for Rockboxed players.

I hope some of that helps. You can find out lots more in the Rockbox manual, downloadable from rockbox.org. It is well worth browsing.

May 27, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #332 of 467
Quote:
I use a 64gb microsd with the clip+ too and rarely have the problems which you mention. Also what ipod do you use and do you use IEMS or headphones?

I have an iPod nano 2g, and an iPod touch 1G and 2G. I use IEMs and headphones - obviously the IEMs are more sensitive to the internal noise.
I don't see how you cannot have at least some of these problems. They aren't unusual or unique.

May 27, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #334 of 467
Quote:
I have a Clip+ 8gb with 32gb Class 10 card. It's full,

I find browsing and navigating is really fast, quicker than any other player I've used. I use a good quality microSDHC and Directory Cache is enabled in the settings. From the Rockbox manual:

How can you find browsing fast? If you want to play artist who's name starts with M, you have to go to database, artist, hold the down button for 5 seconds, click the artist, click the album, click the song, press "yes" to overwrite the current playlist, and each of these steps has a slight delay and causes noise.

On an ipod touch or an ipod classic (or a Sansa fuse), you can scroll as fast as you want. There is no noise, and no delay.

Quote:
You can't stop the annoying noises but it is possible to reduce how often they appear. The following will also help with battery life:

Disable the database auto updating and disable the gathering of runtime data. I found that runtime data being gathered kept the player busy an awful lot, as did database refreshes. This killed battery life and also made generated the squeaks, hums and clicks and ticks. It's easy enough to run the update yourself if and when you add or remove music.

On my Clip+ I actually deleted the database files and disabled the database update in the settings. I'm happy with a file browser player. This doesn't stop tags being read and displayed but does mean needing to either have music well organised or relying on playlists in preference to file browsing. I keep my music very nicely organised and use playlists generated on PC.

Another aspect of battery life is the type of audio being decoded. Some formats are easier on the player than others. If you're using lossy music and coming from an iPod I assume your collection is mostly m4a and mp3. m4a takes more CPU time to decode so it uses the battery quicker. mp3 is very efficient on Rockbox, as is Ogg Vorbis. If you have the original CDs or lossless original files you could encode to mp3 or ogg instead of m4a.

You can lock the player before putting it in your pocket. Press the Select and Home button at the same time. Same to unlock. No more pitch changes. If you set the player so first button press only enables the backlight then you get fewer unexpected in-the-pocket button presses anyway.

I can't help with management software. My experience with players is that in the end it's simpler to have a well organised music library on PC and then just use normal file manager and file sync tools. I use my own script for making correctly formatted playlists for Rockboxed players.

I hope some of that helps. You can find out lots more in the Rockbox manual, downloadable from rockbox.org. It is well worth browsing.

So to help slightly reduce these problems in certain situations, I have to completely reorganize my music and re-encode them? Most of my files are mp3, but some are m4a from music shared with me, and I don't have to original CD's.  I don't have auto-update enabled, but I still have to update/initialize anytime a change is made, which is really really irritating.

The problem with that locking is that it takes two hands. With ipods you can unlock them in your pocket, which is exactly why they put dedicated lock buttons on them.

I've read the manual as a matter of fact, and as you can see, it solves none of the problems. No need to be condescending.

May 27, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #336 of 467
Quote:
Why dont you focus on the positive parts such as far more customisable audio options, EQ etc. I noticed the processing noise as well since I got Rockbox but it is not really that annoying because it is only when changing track not when it is actually playing.

The noise happens whenever the CPU is used, so if you navigate it while music is playing, there is audible noise! I don't use EQing because I buy headphones with sound signatures I like, but I do appreciate having those features. They don't make up for any of the flaws though.

May 27, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #339 of 467
How can you find browsing fast? ......

. No need to be condescending.

I mentioned I browse the file tree, not the database. The file browser is very fast.

I was offering some broad advice without knowing if you had read the manual or not, and without knowing anything about you expect what you wrote in your post.

I wasn't being condescending. You respond by being rude and unpleasant to someone who found a similar range of problems with the device and took the time to offer the help you asked for.

You follow that up by being rude to nicholars who also committed the offense of trying to be helpful.

You should

a) lose the spoiled brat attitude

b) learn some manners

c) sell the Clip+ and buy the player you actually like

in that order.

May 27, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #340 of 467
Quote:

I have an iPod nano 2g, and an iPod touch 1G and 2G. I use IEMs and headphones - obviously the IEMs are more sensitive to the internal noise.
I don't see how can not have at least some of these problems. They aren't unusual or unique.

FS#11907 - Annoying CPU noise with Sansa Clip+ : Some clip+ hardware variants have noise in both rockbox and the original firmware

Above is from the Rockbox website. 
The two Clip+ that I had previously never exhibited any noise that I recall, but then again, I don't use IEMs. 

May 27, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #341 of 467
In terms of the actual response time the music browsing me for on rockbox is instant, there is no delay at all... I spose the menus could be better but I am not sure how without either a bigger screen or a touch screen.... if you want a touch screen interface or a big colour screen it is going to cost you 5x the price. The browsing noise is not ideal but it is not there when you are actually listening to music just for a split second while browsing.

What I did find a bit poor was the browsing and audio control (fast forward, rewind etc.) on the OF. The Rockbox is a lot better for this. I am not sure what you expect really.... Is a 36Gb player which sounds arguably better than the ipod for £40 not good enough?If you want a touch screen interface etc you can have that but it will cost you £200. Sounds like you are expecting an ipod touch for £40, I would like a pair of hifman HE500 for £100 as well.

May 27, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #342 of 467
I gave this a shot. It was on sale in BB for $19.99 and with a $10.00 coupon, it was something I couldn't pass without trying. Put a 16GG memory card into the slot, scanned and now I'm amazed how 'LOUD' it sounds for something so small. Its so light, it can even dangle without knowing it is there. The clip at the back is handy as it can be put between the button of my shirt and seems weightless.

Will be keeping this for sure.

But I cant understand why some have attached a Fiio amp, when it produces loud enough volume.

May 27, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #343 of 467
But I cant understand why some have attached a Fiio amp, when it produces loud enough volume.

You're right.

Clip+ easily drives IEMs and portable headphones which tend to have low impedance and very high sensitivity. However it is not good with headphones that have impedance above 32 ohms and lower sensitivity.

But there is no point using an amp with Clip+ and IEMs or any earphone designed to work well with portable players. I suppose it's a fashion thing, and a love of gadgets, elastic bands, plastic straps, shiny cables, knobs and switches and mysterious functions. A bit kinky and pointless, like a suburban swingers party where no women showed up.

May 28, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #344 of 467
Being one who doesn't understand the complicated lingo (or jargon) regarding technical terms like 'impedance', etc., could someone please tell me if the Clip+ would be a good match to use (un-amped) with V-Moda CrossFade M-80 on-ear portable headphones. In other words, would it drive these headphones efficiently?

Here is a look at their stats:

Manufacturer Specs:
Frequency Response: 5-30,000 Hz
Impedance: 28.5 Ω
Sensitivity: 105 dB SPL/1mW
Cord: 3 ft (.9m), single-sided, detachable; Angled Plug
Space-Saving Mechanism: N/A

BTW, I got the above info off of /joker/ 's review thread.

Thanks!

May 28, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #345 of 467
Quote:
Being one who doesn't understand the complicated lingo (or jargon) regarding technical terms like 'impedance', etc., could someone please tell me if the Clip+ would be a good match to use (un-amped) with V-Moda CrossFade M-80 on-ear portable headphones. In other words, would it drive these headphones efficiently?

Here is a look at their stats:

Manufacturer Specs:
Frequency Response: 5-30,000 Hz
Impedance: 28.5 Ω
Sensitivity: 105 dB SPL/1mW
Cord: 3 ft (.9m), single-sided, detachable; Angled Plug
Space-Saving Mechanism: N/A

BTW, I got the above info off of /joker/ 's review thread.

Thanks!

Should be fine with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back