Is my K701 fake? :(
Jan 9, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #31 of 62
That's not fake, but everyone knows that the "vintage" version with the rings sounds better. Because you can't get the superior, old version any more, they're going for about $600 a pair in the For Sale Forum.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 9, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #32 of 62
When I hear about the premium are paying for "ringed" K701s in 6 months, I am going to blame you, Erik.

Curse you.

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #33 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I hear about the premium are paying for "ringed" K701s in 6 months, I am going to blame you, Erik.

Curse you.

Ahaha, knowing Head-Fi's erratic OCD-paranoia behavior of updated models, it may just happen.
tongue.gif

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #34 of 62
Dont worry. mine, sn29978 look exactly the same with regards to the logos. Not only that, but AKG has only sold ~30000 pairs of 701s in 3 years. Hardly worth putting up with the build difficulties to counterfeit it.

Edit: I definitely hear a difference between the ringed and non ringed versions. I think that the extra ink on the phones acts to dampen vibration from the excessive bass.

Jan 9, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #36 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Curse you.

You can have my rare, out-of-production, ringed K-701s for just $500. And I'll throw in free shipping just because I like you.
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #37 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I'll throw in free shipping just because I like you.
wink.gif

Ground, no doubt
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #38 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say the chances of those being fake is zero. The cost of the tooling for all those parts and the attention to detail make it a very unlikely fake.

I agree with Brewmaster. Considering the fact that the high-end headphone market is so small, I don't think faking these very complicated things is a smart thing to do. I'd counterfeit something more popular and much easier to fake if I were those people who fake stuff.

HF_Frodo// Thanks.
bigsmile_face.gif
They look identical to mine. No, I haven't got any reply from AKG. I sent the email about a week ago to 4 different customer service clerks (the official website, International support, AKG USA customer service, Austrian, etc..), and none of them replied. I really wonder if these guys check their emails at all.

Thank you for your replies, everyone. I really appreciate it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #39 of 62
Looks real to me... good fit/finish; the K701 would be way too difficult to fake.

Jan 9, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #40 of 62
My pair (s/n 29xxxx) are have the same new logo (sans the 3 cardioid pattern rings) on the headphones themselves. However, the included headphone stand sports the old logo with the rings.
confused_face_2.gif

Jan 9, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #42 of 62
Off topic (my apologies), but I really like that clock you have in the background of a few of those shots. Once youve determined the phones to be real (and I think they are), if youd mind divulging what kind of clock that is? =D

Jan 9, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #43 of 62
Bah, their logo was so much better with the rings.
frown.gif

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #44 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Off topic (my apologies), but I really like that clock you have in the background of a few of those shots. Once youve determined the phones to be real (and I think they are), if youd mind divulging what kind of clock that is? =D

It's a flip clock. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if you can get something like this in the US because I bought it in South Korea. But if you really want a flip clock, you can get one free from here.
normal_smile .gif
(Download fliqlo)
9031: Free Downloads: Screensavers

As it uses your computer's clock, it's accurate, doesn't require a battery, and unlike my real one, it's dead silent.
smily_headphones1.gif

(Although my clock looks like it's digital, I hear the same ticks as normal analog desk clocks. And for this reason, I don't use this fancy clock as I am so sensitive to noise that even ticks from a watch distract me at night)

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #45 of 62
minsei,
I also sent pics of my K701 to AKG and asked them to confirm whether it is genuine one or not. Below is their reply.

"Yes sir, by the looks of it... it seems as though you probably purchased a slightly different K701 that have the AKG buttons a bit different... we have seen these come through the Service Department before. I believe these buttons were used a while back though they have replaced those buttons with the newer ones with the 3 rings around the AKG.

But yes these are genuine AKG headphones."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back