Is It Really Worth 'Upgrading' Sennheiser HD 580/600/650 Cables?
Aug 6, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #46 of 421
I'm sure the reply line is a traffic jam when it comes to the issue of cables.
I'm a tested and veteran cable skeptic myself.  Work long enough in a studio and doing critical live field recording, you certainly want reliable and solidly built cables.

The only reason I have replaced the HD600 and the HD 650 stock cables is because
the connectors failed often enough during session work. It became a nuisance
to break the session while I yanked the headset off and squeezed the pins back into place so they resumed contact.
The personal caveat has always been with Sennheiser:  How can you sell such an expensive headphone with such a flawed cable connection?  What gives?

As for enhancing or improving the sound of your Senns  with a $250 cable?....Pulheeeze.
Electricity, conductivity, and signal path purity are NOT going to change with your 300 plus- clam upgrade.  We build our own cables from 6ft. mogamis with neutrik connectors and the cardas end pins for a fraction of the cost and the "sound" is indistinguishable from the boutique miracle cable selling for the cost of your cans.
It is possible that some cans will improve with certain types of cable combinations depending on the impedance of your cable, but these delicate tolerances are still  subjective.

That said,  well-crafted cables have some measurable advantages and a skilled cable builder can make you a palpably superior physical product than that whimpy spaghetti noodle of a cable that comes with the HD600:
primarily, the quality of the copper strand assembly and its shielding with components that will minimize interference whether, magnetic or IRF.  Secondarily, the quality of the casing, joint sleeves and soldering skill can make a cable sturdier and better resistant to constant movement and fraying or tearing. One wants a cable that can take the real life, mano a mano handling, and storing every trip. No fraying, twisting, signal drop, or cable fold failure.
Know what I mean?

Save a few bills, and buy some killer recordings on CD.  Brew a cup of Colombian and put your legs up, turn on the DAC and pump the gain where you will start to cry with emotion as the music washes over you like a tsunami and you are wiggling your hands and toes to the groove of the music.  That's the MUSIC, not the cable.

Happy morning to ya. 

Aug 6, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #47 of 421
Ceja-Blu. Great post. I wish I had found about pro-audio years ago. The quality of the cable is just s good, if not better than more 'audiophile' brands and the results are, as you say, the same for much less money. My DIY, pro-audio based cables with neutrik, switchcraft, Van Damme and Proel give far better value for money.

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #48 of 421
Completely agree, Ceja-Blu.  This is the same reason I bought Blue Jeans cables - their cables are tough enough to hold up in professional environments.  That's worth the extra cost.

Aug 7, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #49 of 421
I meant up to $500 for cables in $5000 rig is OK to me. I am very practical person, but probably I can learn something new from you. Well, would you like to recommend me some $5000 rig and suggest cables for it?

My source is a PC, cans of interest are HD800, LCD-2, HE-5, SR-007.

Quote:
kostalex, the idea that the amount you spend on cables as a value of your total rig is not a good idea.

Quote:
Completely agree, Ceja-Blu.  This is the same reason I bought Blue Jeans cables - their cables are tough enough to hold up in professional environments.  That's worth the extra cost.

Aug 7, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #50 of 421
I'd just go with Blue Jeans or similar (including DIY) for any level of system. Well-built cables would serve an inexpensive system, too. I'm going to use them on my "final" (hopefully) system that will have an Ultrapath preamp connected to an ATI power amp connected to Orion+ speakers. It'll cost me about $10,000 to get there, but if you were buying that on commission, it'd probably be closer to $25,000. I'm not sure how to value that, but a well-driven Orion+ setup is one of the best there is. I also use the Blue Jeans with the Zana, Moth and Orbe. Maybe not the best, but I think it's respectable. I'll be adding a Dynamid, Dynamight, Ciuffoli SESS (417A) and a few other amps to the mix when the workshop is ready in a few months. I think that once you have cables that are well made, you can stop worrying about them and, instead, focus on the other gear and music.

Aug 7, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #54 of 421
Blue Jeans will only put on a 1/4 TRS and strip back the insulation to your spec's. They don't put on the Senn Pins. They will make a AKG mini xlr cable though. They are a few minutes from my house.

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #55 of 421
[size=11pt]Well, I have find the HD650 weak compared to the K701 (of course not in the bass section). Transformation HD650 to the K701 with the same amount of bass would be nice... :wink:[/size]
[size=11pt] [/size]
[size=11pt]So searched for some cable and found Zu mobius (MK2).[/size]
[size=11pt] [/size]
[size=11pt]Absolutely fantastic cable that makes HD650 really superior to the K701 - more detail, air, focus, bass,... Yes, it is $400 for 10ft cable, but sound is pretty amazing.[/size]
[size=11pt] [/size]

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #56 of 421
Commercial upgrade headphone cables are the worst value upgrade available, it should be the last thing throw money at, power supply upgrades for the headphone amp or digital source will have  much bigger effect for almost all solid state devices( most use low voltages and basic voltage regulators that are easily improved upon.) 

I doubt that a cable of basic single core hook up wire and those Cardas plugs would be any worse than an overly thick $200 boutique cable.

Sep 6, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #57 of 421

Quote:
[size=11pt]Well, I have find the HD650 weak compared to the K701 (of course not in the bass section). Transformation HD650 to the K701 with the same amount of bass would be nice... :wink:[/size]
[size=11pt] [/size]
[size=11pt]So searched for some cable and found Zu mobius (MK2).[/size]
[size=11pt] [/size]
[size=11pt]Absolutely fantastic cable that makes HD650 really superior to the K701 - more detail, air, focus, bass,... Yes, it is $400 for 10ft cable, but sound is pretty amazing.[/size]
[size=11pt] [/size]

Are you for real?

Sep 7, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #59 of 421

Quote:
Are you for real?

[size=11pt][size=11pt]:wink:[/size][/size]
[size=11pt] [/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt]Hm, I spent 2 month listening both headphones (AKG K701 and HD 650) through a lot of genres. The goal is to find out how is the sound signature of HD650. A lot of great comments help me on this journey and finally I could exactly imagine which cable will do it "right" (from my point of view).[/size][/size]
[size=11pt] [/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt]After I plugged Zu2 cable in the HD650 right out of the box (no burning process), it takes me approximately 10s to recognize the big difference between K701 and HD650 (Zu2) (stock is out of the this game for sure).[/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt]I would say – if the detail is easy listenable via Zu2 on HD650, you can be really focused on that particular part but still it is hard to listen to it via K701. Not to mention the change of color of the instruments, soundstage, ...[/size][/size]
[size=11pt] [/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt]CD/SACD[/size][/size]
[size=11pt] [/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt]- The Body Acoustic (Randy Brecker, Bob Mintzer, Andy Gonzalez, Giovanni Hidalgo, David Chesky)[/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt]- Animals,The Division Bell (Pink Floyd)[/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt]- Swing Live (Bucky Pizzarelli)[/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt]- Spiritchaser (Dead Can Dance)[/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt]- Throw Down Your Heart, Tales from the Acoustic Planet, Vol. 3: Africa Sessions (Fleck, Béla)[/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt]- Heavy Horses (Jethro Tull)[/size][/size]
[size=11pt][size=11pt]- ...[/size][/size]
[size=11pt] [/size]

Sep 7, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #60 of 421
I don't think I could ever spend MORE on a cable than I did on the headphone itself. I mean, you're paying as much again and not even for an upgrade to the bit that actually makes the noise. If I ever do get into cables, I will always go DIY. Looking at prices the other day, I could easily knock up a silver interconnect for ~£30, whereas the cheapest commercial ones I've seen are around the $200 mark.

Mind you, having laid down $400 for a cable, I'd probably want it to sound better so much that it would... Placebo FTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back