Is anyone building the KGSSHV?
Jul 30, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #436 of 499
Hi guys, how does the KGSS built by Headamp doc pare to a KGSSHV? I'm looking to buy one to get through the 2 year wait for BHSE....

The HeadAmp KGSS is very nice and clean with great control of the SR009s (never got to hear mine with my SR-007Mk1s as I got them after I sold of the KGSS). The KGSSHV (mine is the 450V 1968SA version with the current increased to 9mA), the bass is better controlled and the imaging is a bit wider. The KGSSHV is the natural progression of the KGSS with improvements across the board. Now both are extremely clean sounding with great detail, just that the HV version does things a bit better across the board.

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #437 of 499
I use xlr to rca adapaters on my kgsshv since my source is single ended.  Can't really hear a difference...  You should be fine.

+1 I use the cardas adapters and they seem to work great.

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #438 of 499
  The HeadAmp KGSS is very nice and clean with great control of the SR009s (never got to hear mine with my SR-007Mk1s as I got them after I sold of the KGSS). The KGSSHV (mine is the 450V 1968SA version with the current increased to 9mA), the bass is better controlled and the imaging is a bit wider. The KGSSHV is the natural progression of the KGSS with improvements across the board. Now both are extremely clean sounding with great detail, just that the HV version does things a bit better across the board.

Mac,

if the power supply on-board or off-board for your amp? Thanks.

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #439 of 499
  Mac,

if the power supply on-board or off-board for your amp? Thanks.

Off board. 
smile.gif

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #440 of 499

Thanks! So the consensus seems to be that the HV is an improvement but not a substantial one? I'm quite eager to buy the Headamp built one!

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #441 of 499
Thanks! So the consensus seems to be that the HV is an improvement but not a substantial one? I'm quite eager to buy the Headamp built one!

The KGSS is really good, but it depends what you mean by substantial? IMO, the KGSSHV is totally worth it though over the KGSS.

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #442 of 499
The KGSS is really good, but it depends what you mean by substantial? IMO, the KGSSHV is totally worth it though over the KGSS.

That's perhaps what I needed to know. It just happens that there is a good deal for the KGSS where I live which saves the wait and the shipping. I also get to test it before I buy. That's why I'm tempted to pull the trigger.

If the situation is that one would seek to upgrade from the KGSS to the KGSSHV, I might have second thoughts about buying the KGSS now...

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #443 of 499
That's perhaps what I needed to know. It just happens that there is a good deal for the KGSS where I live which saves the wait and the shipping. I also get to test it before I buy. That's why I'm tempted to pull the trigger.

If the situation is that one would seek to upgrade from the KGSS to the KGSSHV, I might have second thoughts about buying the KGSS now...

I owned the KGSS for about a year (HeadAmp version) and it was fantastic with my SR-009s, when I had the opportunity to jump on a KGSSHV (about a year ago), and I'm glad I did!

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #446 of 499
Last build? Ha! You're a glutton for punishment. Plus, that build is way too big Spritzer, er, Geoff. 
tongue.gif

Aug 14, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #448 of 499
Here is my last build – a KGSShv Cube with silver finish.  The usual 450v 10mA, servo boards, A-D 41 step attenuator.  Switching for 115/230v ac.  Sounds same as the bigger ones.  It looks big in the first pic.  The second gives an idea of the size.

Oh come on Geoff. I'm busy saving up to buy and you're stopping with this?

Aug 14, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #450 of 499
  Here is my last build – a KGSShv Cube with silver finish.  The usual 450v 10mA, servo boards, A-D 41 step attenuator.  Switching for 115/230v ac.  Sounds same as the bigger ones.  It looks big in the first pic.  The second gives an idea of the size.

Very cool.  So you're saying your amp is slightly larger than Station V?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back