Is anyone building the KGSSHV?
May 18, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #421 of 499
  Oh I see you've sold the 007 MkII.  Did you  hear the 009 with your KGSShv?  Perhaps you have posted about this elsewhere.

Hey Geoff - thought I'd could pipe up here as one of the lucky few to own one of your builds.

I recently upgraded from my 007MKiis to the 009s. A big step up in terms of cost, but absolutely worth it imho. Bigger soundstage, more detail and bass yet never sibilant or strident.

The only step up I can see from there would be the BHSE +009 combo (which I heard & loved at a recent head-fi meet). When my ship comes in... :)

Bottom line: KGSSHV + 009: highly recommended.

May 19, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #422 of 499
Hi Johan!

Stop it you lot. Soon I'll hear 009 on one of my builds and then I suspect I'm done for.

I do find that the 007's are so good they overcome most of the limitations of HPs for me.  I don't feel I want for anything more, the purist in me says I don't need to spend so much on "earwhatsits".

May 19, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #423 of 499
Sucker. :p

Neg, you haven't let this gentleman hear your 009? SHAME!

I still have the 007 head and shoulders above everything else except the 009, so I can understand where you're coming from...but..

I felt the same way as you did until I didn't. Let us know when you've come over to the darker side, er, see the light. 

May 20, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #426 of 499

It is an aluminium case I designed and made.  It is the only way to get exactly what I want. After the metalwork was done I got it surface finished, anodised champagne gold colour and engraved.

Geoff,

you're killing me 
very_evil_smiley.gif
. I have been having great times with the 007mk1 and your KGSShv but the Cube looks stunning. I'll send you an email.

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #428 of 499
Hi guys
New subject
Has anyone built or have a KGSSHV with Balanced XLR in only, but feeding it with RCA from their DAC?

I have a single ended DAC with RCA out only, so I am curious if using a RCA-XLR built cable would loose any sound quality?

My DAC has fixed line out at about 1.6V - 2V and I would be using the KGSSHVs volume pot for level.

I will build my own RCA - XLR cable, with the 2nd signal connection on the XLR not connected.

Any help would be great.

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #429 of 499
Following on from this question, does anyone know the specs for the input level on a typical KGSSHV build? Is it 2V line level, or can it be
more or less to work ok? It looks as though the standard build KGSSHV is for XLR balanced in only right?

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #430 of 499
Hi guys
New subject
Has anyone built or have a KGSSHV with Balanced XLR in only, but feeding it with RCA from their DAC?

I have a single ended DAC with RCA out only, so I am curious if using a RCA-XLR built cable would loose any sound quality?

My DAC has fixed line out at about 1.6V - 2V and I would be using the KGSSHVs volume pot for level.

I will build my own RCA - XLR cable, with the 2nd signal connection on the XLR not connected.

Any help would be great.

When I bought the amp, I also bought a RCA to XLR cable from eBay. This has double RCA pins on one end and two XLR connectors on the other. I used this to connect my Bifrost DAC to the KGSSHV. Now I have balanced connectors on both ends since I use the Gungnir as the DAC.

Jun 2, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #432 of 499
Hi guys
New subject

Any help would be great.

I have something similar to that before, but I used a Jensens Transformers ISOmax to convert the SE output of the DAC to a balanced XLR output. That worked great, and I'd recommend one for you. You can get them as an input transformer or an output transformer, but either can work both ways with the proper gender changing adapters for the XLR jacks.

Jun 3, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #433 of 499
I've sold my GS-Xmk2, so with me just having the BHSE as a main amp, I'll more than likely be getting the KGSSHV assuming Justin starts building that amp at sometime in the future.
IMO the GS-Xmk2 is an excellent amp, but since using PH tubes with my BHSE I just love how my 009's sound, and if something did happen to my BHSE, I wouldn't want to be without listening to my 009's for that long, hence me thinking of eventually getting the KGSSHV, I've also read the 009's sound amazing with the KGSSHV.

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #434 of 499

I have something similar to that before, but I used a Jensens Transformers ISOmax to convert the SE output of the DAC to a balanced XLR output. That worked great, and I'd recommend one for you. You can get them as an input transformer or an output transformer, but either can work both ways with the proper gender changing adapters for the XLR jacks.

The amp on its own will do a far better job of doing the phase splitting than any transformer.  The high gain of the amplifier will generate a balanced signal from a single ended source without any external or extra components.  The exact same is true for the humble Stax SRM-252S and most other electrostatic amplifiers. 

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #435 of 499
Hi guys, how does the KGSS built by Headamp doc pare to a KGSSHV? I'm looking to buy one to get through the 2 year wait for BHSE....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back