Is anyone building the KGSSHV?
May 16, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #407 of 499
I did. I generally don't post impressions much, but I really enjoyed the 009 enough to make the move.

May 16, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #408 of 499
009 + KGSSHV = long nights of listening pleasure and sleep deprivation. Very pleasant and detailed. Not strident to my ears. The closest thing to being there.
Will report the differences when I finish the Megatron build.

May 17, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #410 of 499
009 + KGSSHV = long nights of listening pleasure and sleep deprivation. Very pleasant and detailed. Not strident to my ears. The closest thing to being there.

I know I will regret selling my SR-009 with hotrodded KGSS, as it's a wonderful combination.  But 2 kids in college is expensive and I'll have to be happy with KGBH + 007 and HE-60...  The HE-60 are very close to the 009, with just a little less fullness, warmth and bass than the 009.

May 17, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #412 of 499

I know I will regret selling my SR-009 with hotrodded KGSS, as it's a wonderful combination.  But 2 kids in college is expensive and I'll have to be happy with KGBH + 007 and HE-60...  The HE-60 are very close to the 009, with just a little less fullness, warmth and bass than the 009.

What differences between the SR007 and HE60 for you ?

May 17, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #413 of 499

That should be an interesting comparison, surely. Is a T2 gonna make it to your workbench anytime soon?

May 17, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #414 of 499
Probably not. The Megatron really caught my eye and it has been a real fun built.
Main reason for not going for the T2 is difficulty getting some parts, although if I can get me a board I might be tempted  though :)

May 17, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #415 of 499
What differences between the SR007 and HE60 for you ?

Those two headphones are so different from each other it would be easier to ask what are the similarities. And that would be speed.

The Sennheiser have a much more ethereal, airy, and open sound, & it's more delicate and 3-D sounding. They have a fuller sounding mid range and more treble presence than bass presence. The HE-60 require a strong amplifier to extract strong bass impact, such as my 400v KGBH.

The 007 have more bass impact & bloom, with a slightly recessed midrange that gives them more depth, & a balanced treble responses long as you have an amplifier that's strong enough to drive them. With a weak amplifier the 007 may sound a little bit dark, and lack bass impact as well (Woo GES). The 007 sound a little more laid-back and less energetic than the HE 60, but they became more energetic and less laid back with my previous KGSS. They are still slightly laid-back with the KGBH amplifier except that bass impact & power is greatly increased with it, and the mids still do not jump out at you. The HE-60 would be like a supercharged HD800, the 007 would be like a supercharged LCD-2.

[EDIT - I should add that the HE-60 has a little bit more mid range presence than HD 800, and does not sound as distant. Also the 007 has slightly less midrange presents than the LCD-2 so it's not as forward sounding.]

May 18, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #416 of 499
Those two headphones are so different from each other it would be easier to ask what are the similarities. And that would be speed.

The Sennheiser have a much more ethereal, airy, and open sound, & it's more delicate and 3-D sounding. They have a fuller sounding mid range and more treble presence than bass presence. The HE-60 require a strong amplifier to extract strong bass impact, such as my 400v KGBH.

The 007 have more bass impact & bloom, with a slightly recessed midrange that gives them more depth, & a balanced treble responses long as you have an amplifier that's strong enough to drive them. With a weak amplifier the 007 may sound a little bit dark, and lack bass impact as well (Woo GES). The 007 sound a little more laid-back and less energetic than the HE 60, but they became more energetic and less laid back with my previous KGSS. They are still slightly laid-back with the KGBH amplifier except that bass impact & power is greatly increased with it, and the mids still do not jump out at you. The HE-60 would be like a supercharged HD800, the 007 would be like a supercharged LCD-2.

[EDIT - I should add that the HE-60 has a little bit more mid range presence than HD 800, and does not sound as distant. Also the 007 has slightly less midrange presents than the LCD-2 so it's not as forward sounding.]

Thank you for your answer. I didn't hear the HE60 and SR007 on KGSSHV. But even on another amp my thinking is rather you even I found the HE60 not spacious as the HD800.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennhheiserHE60.pdf is not as flat as the HD800 http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800.pdf but I feel it a bit a bit smoother like electrostatic do.

May 18, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #417 of 499
  Probably not. The Megatron really caught my eye and it has been a real fun built.
Main reason for not going for the T2 is difficulty getting some parts, although if I can get me a board I might be tempted  though :)

Is there any chance you'd post pictures of your Megatron build? That amp also caught my eye awhile back!

May 18, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #418 of 499
Thank you for your answer. I didn't hear the HE60 and SR007 on KGSSHV. But even on another amp my thinking is rather you even I found the HE60 not spacious as the HD800.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennhheiserHE60.pdf is not as flat as the HD800 http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800.pdf but I feel it a bit a bit smoother like electrostatic do.

The HE-60 in those PDF files are mine (loaned to Tyll).

The HD800 and HE-60 both have large soundstage, but HD800 have a deeper or more distant soundstage, while the HE-60 have the sound of the venue (ambience and air) coming from everywhere and nowhere at the same time in a similar fashion, with more up-front instruments. Yet they still have decent instrument placement most of the time.

Somehow they both remind me of a well driven SR-009 due to the "surround sound effect" and are not terribly dissimilar like the 007.

May 18, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #419 of 499
From my memory the HE60 also have thicker sound, less articifial tone than HD800.

May 18, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #420 of 499
The HE-60 in those PDF files are mine (loaned to Tyll).

The HD800 and HE-60 both have large soundstage, but HD800 have a deeper or more distant soundstage, while the HE-60 have the sound of the venue (ambience and air) coming from everywhere and nowhere at the same time in a similar fashion, with more up-front instruments. Yet they still have decent instrument placement most of the time.

Somehow they both remind me of a well driven SR-009 due to the "surround sound effect" and are not terribly dissimilar like the 007.

As I read this, I was settling in with my SR-009/KGSSHV and a few Chesky recordings I have on hand and you hit the nail on the head! 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back