Is anyone building the KGSSHV?
Oct 9, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #481 of 499
You're asking in the wrong place, the KGSSHV has undergone a fair amount of revisions. The eagle files are available online so anyone can do their own small run.

Oct 11, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #483 of 499
I would recommend DIY with a KGSShv. Even that is pretty advanced. Have you done DIY before? The voltages involved are lethal and the assembly and soldering involved is not a cake walk. Also you need to source all the components after you have sourced decent PCBs. The T2 is mega advanced and because of the heat issues, few have managed to build one that.

Anyway, the difference between a really nice off-board KGSShv and a T2 is not that massive I am told. And the cost of a KGSShv would be a third or less to complete IMO.

I have a headinclouds built KGSShv that I use with the 009s and before that the 007 MK2s. It rocks, and is an end game amp for me. Hope this helps you!

Here is my KGSShv next to David's BHSE (for size comparison).

Oct 15, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #484 of 499
astrostar59 thanks for answer!
I have read some threads about Stax DIY. Talked with members from there. And fully agree with you now. Nothing to add to your answer, exactly the same thoughts.

Nov 21, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #485 of 499
Hello,
I' interested in building the KGSSHV on board hearsink version. Do you still have boards left over, and where can I find the BOM/Parts list? Many thanks for your help. What would they cost?

Nov 21, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #486 of 499
The gerbers are publicly availble for those that want to do their own run. I forget if there's an updated parts list for the latest iteration. 

Cost is probably north of 1k

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #487 of 499
I'm buying boards and parts.
Can anyone sell me a couple of 2SA1968LS?
Any advantage of using hexfred soft recovery diodes for the bridges (as is common for SS rectifiers for tube designs)

Cheers
Guy

Nov 29, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #488 of 499
There's IXTP01N100D which you can  use instead of 1968

Oct 9, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #493 of 499

It's worth pointing out, that while that person's information seems reasonable, you should never implicitly trust what you read without verification, or commission a build from them. They take Kevin Gilmore's designs and absolutely butcher them. Google or Bing search for 'Kevin Gilmore Megatron Lil Knight Tran Thuan' to see what sort of horror story this person produces.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #494 of 499
It's worth pointing out, that while that person's information seems reasonable, you should never implicitly trust what you read without verification, or commission a build from them. They take Kevin Gilmore's designs and absolutely butcher them. Google or Bing search for 'Kevin Gilmore Megatron Lil Knight Tran Thuan' to see what sort of horror story this person produces.
Yes. Avoid these criminals.

You may find accessibility by the likes of common CFA3/Dynahi builders whom show crossover in the stat-world.

Plenty of very good, trustworthy builders verified.

Oct 15, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #495 of 499
I could not comment on Little Knight 's personality as I did not know him well enough. Perhaps I am the lucky one. The information from the link is correct. I knew because I built one and my KGSSHV has been working for the past 5 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back