iPod Touch sound quality
May 21, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #18 of 52
Honestly, between my iPhone 3G (which is, I believe, similar to the 2nd gen iPod Touch) headphone-out and my Fiio E1, I don't notice that much of a difference with the RE0. Perhaps a tiny bit more of bass body but a tiny bit less separation and less sparkle in the treble with the E1, but nothing that really matters, and certainly not on the move.

The only reason I'm using it right now is because:
-I was able to shorten the Fiio E1 cable to 5in, just out of the pocket (if I had to carry all that wire around, I just wouldn't use it)
-the physical buttons on the remote are useful.

Jun 21, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #19 of 52
After spending some more time with my iPod Touch I'm quite satisfied with the sound, it may not be as good as my old Sony, but the difference is really marginal, maybe if Sony refreshed the X-series with an even better player, I may switch, but for now, the iPod is good enough.

Jun 21, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #20 of 52
I bought a Sony X and a iPod Touch 3G recently, ended up returning the Sony.

I have to say that it is all about sound preference. In my opinion, the iPod is as good as, if not better than the Sony. The Sony is warm, has a fuller bass in comparison, and sound 'thick'. What I didn't like about the Sony is that it hisses like snake...The thick sound of Sony indeed make music sounds more musical, but they deteriorate instrument separation in the mean time. The Sony has a smaller stage and sounds more intimate to my ears, but they are very smooth.

However I am surprised that the iPod Touch 3G hisses as well (not to Sony level) while my iPhone 3G doesn't.

Jun 21, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #21 of 52
X2. I also sold my Sony X and bought a refurbed 8GB Touch 3G (really 2G, but new FW), the latter to use via LOD with Apple Lossless files and my iBasso T3. The Sony is fine (though I was never happy with the wifi, but hardly anyone was), but for the reasons you mention, and the fact I also bought a 32GB Cowon J3, it became expendable. Very happy with the Touch and the J3 combo. They ended up costing me $450 total, but the Touch is still selling for $368 or higher. This way, I get much more bang (excellent SQ, flac, expansion slot, etc. on the J3) for less than $100 more.

Jun 21, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #23 of 52
I don't really have any experience with other players, but I like my iPod Touch very much. It sounds great to me, has a good and easy to use interface, and of course, apps are always fun. lol.

Jun 28, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #24 of 52
My girlfriend has an iTouch too.  The biggest thing you can do for the sound, is get her a great set of earphones.
Quote:

Alpha10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif  My girlfriend got an iPod Touch a few days ago, amazing device, but as I was very curious about the sound?

I got her Weston 1 monitors.  Nice match, you do understand that an iTouch does a lot more than  just play music...

Jun 29, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #25 of 52
Yah, the itouch/phone is really the best multi tasking device that you can fit in your pocket. Great sound thats "upgradeable" with lod an amp, powerful browser, and a plethora of programs and games, it really is almost as useful as a laptop.

Jun 29, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #26 of 52

Quote:
Yah, the itouch/phone is really the best multi tasking device that you can fit in your pocket. Great sound thats "upgradeable" with lod an amp, powerful browser, and a plethora of programs and games, it really is almost as useful as a laptop.

LOL, a multitasking device that couldn't umm, MULTITASK!  Now its almost as good as a laptop?  You must be using a Net appliance not a laptop.

Jun 29, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #27 of 52
Yes I mistyped... I meant Multi purpose device. Although backgrounder allows you to multitask to some degree... But over all the itouch/phone does many different things... but unlike many other multi purpose devices, it actually does these quite well. I'm by no means an Apple fan boy, I'm just admitting the facts.

Jun 29, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #28 of 52

Quote:
LOL, a multitasking device that couldn't umm, MULTITASK!  Now its almost as good as a laptop?  You must be using a Net appliance not a laptop.

Multi-functional would be a better term. 

Quote:
Yes I mistyped... I meant Multi purpose device. Although backgrounder allows you to multitask to some degree... But over all the itouch/phone does many different things... but unlike many other multi purpose devices, it actually does these quite well. I'm by no means an Apple fan boy, I'm just admitting the facts.

I agree, with wifi (and quite possibly with 3G with regards to the iPhone) on my Touch, and especially with blanket wifi at school and work, it replaces a good amount of functionality I would have from a multitude of devices (such as a laptop), especially for something that pocketable. I'd rather have the iPod/iPhone with it's decent sound quality then a DAP with great sound quality, a phone with great connectivity, a laptop with great multitasking, and a SLR camera for great photos for day-to-day, 7 days a week usage and portability. Each of these devices have their own purpose and functionality, but for something to carry around day in and day out, the iPod/iPhone does it the best, in my opinion.

Jun 30, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #29 of 52

I grew up with an audiophile for a father so I was pretty spoiled with good audio.  I've never been a fan of mp3 but I must admit that iPod Touch does a commendable job with mp3.  An EAC ripped, carefully LAME authored mp3 sounds quite good, not hi-Fi, but impressive for the amount of data involved. 

MP3 on the Touch is not particularly accurate or life-like but still quite pleasant.  In fact, and I may be alone in this, but I think the Touch does a better job of playback with mp3 than with lossless formats - I find the ALACs sound extremely bright and, believe it or not, somewhat compressed on the Touch (as if the DAC is struggling to cope with the amount of data being thrown at it and making bad averaging choices on what frequencies to represent).  Overall, I am pleased with the Touch as a DAP.  Combined with it's additional features and ease of use, I would say it is a good buy.  I am curious if a portable amp would make a big difference or if it would be a case of "your amp is only as good as it's source."  The inability to line out to a dedicated DAC is a bit of a bummer.

As digital media continues to evolve audiophile portables will become more common - whether they will be offered at an attractive price-point is a different matter.   Here's hoping.

Jun 30, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #30 of 52
I to was dissapointed with the sound quality when I converted my flac to alac for iphone... maybe I'm not doing it correctly? Can someone give me some pointers on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back