iPod Touch 7th Generation (2019)
Feb 22, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #76 of 118
Now I am able to answer my own question in this thread. Because I purchased an iPod touch 7th gen.:
1. iTunes 12.9.5 in OS 10.14.6 syncs AIFF 24bit/96kHz to the iPod in native format.
2. And what a surprise - Apple Music app in iOS 13.1 plays these files in native format with Dragonfly Red connected (Color indicates 96kHz). Tested also with a RME ADI-2 DAC (DAC screen shows 24/96000).
Happy listening.

Feb 22, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #77 of 118
Now I am able to answer my own question in this thread. Because I purchased an iPod touch 7th gen.:
1. iTunes 12.9.5 in OS 10.14.6 syncs AIFF 24bit/96kHz to the iPod in native format.
2. And what a surprise - Apple Music app in iOS 13.1 plays these files in native format with Dragonfly Red connected (Color indicates 96kHz). Tested also with a RME ADI-2 DAC (DAC screen shows 24/96000).
Happy listening.

Interesting... They must have upgraded the DAC in the iPod Touch 7G because my 6G fails to sync 24/96 ALAC files. On a side note, I can't imagine why I'd need 24/96 files since it's beyond the height of my hearing and in AIFF would take up a ridiculous amount of space.

Feb 22, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #78 of 118
To clarify, I don't believe that 24/96 sounds substantial better than 16/44.1. The reason why I have 24/96 is because I work in studio with these files for remastering or restoration and for these procedures high sample rates have big advantage. And then, I don't like to downsample all the time for having the files in the pocket on the road.

Aug 5, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #79 of 118
Hi

I'm planning to buy ipod touch 7th Gen but since I'm in Europe currently I get only EU Volume Capped ipod touch. Though I don't listen at high volumes, I'm more concerned if there would be any decrease in sound quality due to low voltage output

Can any EU ipod touch owners share their experience?

Aug 5, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #80 of 118
Hi

I'm planning to buy ipod touch 7th Gen but since I'm in Europe currently I get only EU Volume Capped ipod touch. Though I don't listen at high volumes, I'm more concerned if there would be any decrease in sound quality due to low voltage output

Never had any issues with volume on the touch but my experience ends at 3rd gen sadly. Just buy it from somewhere with a good returns option and send it back if you don't like it?

Sep 1, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #81 of 118
Hi

They measure the same (except for Vrms of course) and they sound the same.

Thus if you don't have volume problems with an EU iPod Touch you can sit back and relax to the music.

Sep 28, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #82 of 118
is ipod touch 7th sound better than the apple lightning adapter?

Mar 9, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #84 of 118
I bought ipod touch 7th gen and listened to it for the past few hours. Awesome feel after long time. For last few years I was away from DAP and trying to satisfy myself using smartphones and bluetooth headphones and cribbing about bluetooth codec, smartphone DAC/Amp in case of wired. Now after a long time using a DAP and I'm happy to get my satisfaction back without any issues.

ipod touch's sound quality is first class, music sounds so vibrant with great dynamics and depth. I'm trying to pin point flaws in sound quality but none so far. In one word Terrific

UI is ios so thats smooth but I feel bit slow compared to latest iphones. Still not a problem just to listen to music. One problem is with Apple Music. Its not like direct FLAC drag and drop from PC. so I have to convert flac to alac and then use itunes to load. But I'm yet to do that. I'm listening using Apple Music subscription for now which is pretty good especially Apple Digital Masters. But curious to know how it sounds using ALAC

I'm never going back to smartphone.

Mar 9, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #85 of 118
The other thing that has just taken hold is the new steam of IEMs. It seems like only this year stuff like the Thieaudio L4 or See Audio Yume have really raised the bar with what was possible with the sound. Even the Tripowin TC-01 has made what bass response that was previously possible that much better making the IPod Touch a special sound.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #86 of 118
Hello people.

I'm currently using an iFi xDSD DAC/amp with an Android phone, connected by USB OTG. I listen to Tidal and Qobuz with the USB Audio Player Pro app, and it all works very well, until I want to listen offline. UAPP does not support offline mode for these streaming services, so I have to go to the Tidal and Qobuz apps, then the USB output will not work with MQA in Tidal, and applies resampling to Qobuz.

If I were to use an iPod touch 7 instead of my phone, would I be able to listen to Tidal and Qobuz in full resolution offline, with the xDSD attached with an Apple camera connector?

Mar 12, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #87 of 118
Hello people.

I'm currently using an iFi xDSD DAC/amp with an Android phone, connected by USB OTG. I listen to Tidal and Qobuz with the USB Audio Player Pro app, and it all works very well, until I want to listen offline. UAPP does not support offline mode for these streaming services, so I have to go to the Tidal and Qobuz apps, then the USB output will not work with MQA in Tidal, and applies resampling to Qobuz.

If I were to use an iPod touch 7 instead of my phone, would I be able to listen to Tidal and Qobuz in full resolution offline, with the xDSD attached with an Apple camera connector?

I'm not really up to all this stuff so can't answer your question personally, but I did watch a video recently that seams to be discussing this very question - hopefully this helps.

Mar 12, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #90 of 118
I believe so, yes.
Although you could probably pick up a descent used iPhone for less than a new iPod.
Yes that's something to think about. Although the smaller size of the iPod appeals to me. Most of the Android DAPs I have been looking into (but rejecting because they don't have bit perfect output for offline streaming services) are even smaller. The iPod does seem expensive compared to the iPads you can get now, let alone non Apple devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back