iPod Touch 7th Generation (2019)
Jun 1, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #17 of 118
I have a 5th gen 16GB and 2 6th gen 32GB Touches. I also have the original first IPod Touch (purchased on release) but never use it as it’s giant. About 1/2 my posts here are done on the IPod Touch, they are the greatest for internet. IMO

I’m fairly convinced my 5th gen is slightly warmer sounding than the two 6th generations I have. Basically every IPod sounds slightly different to me. Still it’s such a small difference in comparison to what you get changing to different IEMs.

I use the IPod for music listening out of the house. The form is amazing as well as the firmware. I’m so happy to see they are coming out with something new, though it most likely does not have a headphone port. The lightning cable DACs included are sounding just as nice anyway.

Still even though I’m interested in a new Touch with storage, there is truly no comparison to the sound you get from something like the Sony Walkman 1A. IMO In my eyes for just music listening it would be utterly insane to buy a 7th gen Touch 256GB for $399 when a used Sony Walkman 1A can be found for $200 more. Here once again we find Apple charging a premium for small storage. This has always been their gig. The Walkman only comes with 128 gigabytes of storage but add a 400 gigabyte micro card for $60 and you now have 528 gigabytes!

Using 4.4mm balanced out is a whole new world in comparison to anything you could hope to achieve with an iPod Touch; this concept goes for any IEM regardless of efficiency!

With a used Sony 1A selling for $600 it’s an amazing deal which can compete almost with a desktop experience. IMO

Though the big difference here is size and weight. And......the Touch beats out many of the smaller DAPs in such a nice flat non-colored response.

Also the vast amount of programs are amazing. You can tune your guitar with the IPod Touch, watch movies, play video games and store a whole library of books to read. The cameras in them especially after the 5th generation are fantastic for what they are. Nothing beats the Touch screen sensitivity!

They even make a digital level for checking if tables and shelves are level. It sounds like this new chip may bring a new world of programs to use. The only super negative thing is the limited lifespan Apple engineers in. In as fast as a couple years you find there will be no more firmware updates and new programs will fail to work even with relatively new Apple purchases. :frowning2:

Still if your only concern is music, there is nothing to worry about.

Now there are great Bluetooth cables which allow you to hook up any IEM in your collection to your Touch.

Seeing Apple keep the Touch going is reason to celebrate. IMO

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #19 of 118
I’m strongly considering a 256GB version to pair with a FiiO Q5S. This why I can keep all of my iTunes smart playlists.

Yes but it doesn't sync up with my music from iTunes very easily. So that's a no go.

FYI, it absolutely does. I'm very very obsessed with iTunes due to the Metadata tracking and smart playlists. I'm sad there is little competition to iTunes in that regard, especially cross platform, as iTunes on windows has no black mode.

To solve this issue, you can use rocket player + isyncr, sync meta data and playlists between Android and iTunes. I've used this for awhile now with zero issues.

So you're free to choose. I still use apple devices for connecting to my car as I do find I prefer a digital signal which I can do over USB, as compared to the headphone jack, and I need to use my ipod, but I definitely always use my rocket player on my android phone for iTunes sync.

I may move to media monkey for black mode, while still having the same core iTunes functionality I love, but just haven't gotten around to thaf.

Jun 2, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #20 of 118
Jun 2, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #21 of 118
If anyone can confirm what is the RAM in this 2GB or 1GB ? Many reviewers mentioned it is 1 GB but the Antutu benchmark tools show 1.XX GB, but it also shows the iOS version 9.1 but instead it runs 12.3. So what is the true Ram Size ?

Jun 3, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #22 of 118
2 gb. I just picked up the Product Red iPod Touch 256gb version today and going to test it out when I load up my iTunes collection :)

Jun 4, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #24 of 118
Will do. Updated the OS but had to reformat the player because the update borked my Music app collection. Hopefully it will be fine afterwards.

Jun 4, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #25 of 118
To quote what I have said on my personal Twitter

The new iPod touch is an overpriced failed product, no high end DAC, no native DSD decoding, no balanced output, no line out, subpar amp circuitry... for what's supposed to be a DAP it's seriously lacking in 2019. Does Apple truly care about sound quality or audiophiles?

Jun 4, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #26 of 118
9528AFD6-5D36-4876-9CE4-6C015B144E05.png
F6F97F44-E215-4EA5-9D1E-F90D81EDA8E1.png
To quote what I have said on my personal Twitter

Did you see the photographs on the Apple page? The Touch is aimed at 12-17 year-olds. It’s for gaming and social media apps. Being an audiophile DAP is really the farthest from it’s aspirations? The Touch may have fit that perspective is 2008, but a lot has changed since then.

The abilities listed on your Twitter only interest folks like us. At best we are a terribly small part of the market Apple is aiming at with the product.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #27 of 118

Did you see the photographs on the Apple page? The Touch is aimed at 12-17 year-olds. It’s for gaming and social media apps. Being an audiophile DAP is really the farthest from it’s aspirations? The Touch may have fit that perspective is 2008, but a lot has changed since then.

The abilities listed on your Twitter only interest folks like us. At best we are a terribly small part of the market Apple is aiming at with the product.

Being a 12-17 years old consumer doesn't mean being uninformed. There are plenty of (much better sounding) DAPs with much better features at a much lower pricetag. While I will admit that an iPod touch is somewhat versatile (and not much more so than any other smartphone in my opinion, not to mention there are android based DAPs nowadays), it is sold as a DAP. If you need social medias, you can use a phone, which is something pretty much every teenager owns in this day and age.

At least they didn't con everyone this time around by removing the headphone jack off of their device something that would have been very ackward on a product sold as a Digital Audio Player.

Jun 4, 2019 at 4:30 AM Post #28 of 118
“1000 songs in your pocket”

The marketing has never changed.

FA919085-59F5-4C60-9583-B1C282A18CAC.png
Being a 12-17 years old consumer doesn't mean being uninformed. There are plenty of (much better sounding) DAPs with much better features at a much lower pricetag. While I will admit that an iPod touch is somewhat versatile (and not much more so than any other smartphone in my opinion, not to mention there are android based DAPs nowadays), it is sold as a DAP. If you need social medias, you can use a phone, which is something pretty much every teenager owns in this day and age.

At least they didn't con everyone this time around by removing the headphone jack off of their device something that would have been very ackward on a product sold as a Digital Audio Player.

Well the opening segment is vary much a modern take on the very first IPod marketing; talking about taking your whole musical library with you. But as far as concern for music it stops there.

As is my point......after 2011 the DAP landscape started to move beyond what was capable with Apple products. It’s just today the Touch appears as a holdover from old iPods in terms of music ability. As far as imaginative stuff for a kid who can’t afford an iPhone......it’s priceless opportunity; or should I say......a logical “cheap” opportunity.

They are really not focusing on sound quality. IMO, at least not audiophile sound quality?

174EF671-45A9-4747-8FF5-A35F70396412.png
7AE19D8B-8807-4EBB-99F2-9AF8A074D1F4.png
414C503A-2BDF-47A0-B5ED-BC9C39D2D0A5.png
65BAA317-F2A6-436E-A3F5-0FF80422A9D0.png
643E9E9D-7720-4009-A58B-6C54566032BB.png
8E90C322-362F-48A3-9F7B-BD93396DBB1D.png
D17B63E8-06A2-4036-9214-B5CE1AB4E35D.png
7F6DAF86-122A-4D4A-BE61-EC0C8324892D.png
C62D4520-4A5F-4BF6-B6F6-6184ECB32C2D.png
6413303A-B642-4F58-AA5D-D73B21D624A2.png
219CE039-350B-4855-855B-C7C33FBF7DEB.png

Attachments

• AFEA3501-7E73-42FF-BF0F-B69BF18AECEA.png
    AFEA3501-7E73-42FF-BF0F-B69BF18AECEA.png
    549.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #29 of 118

Well the opening segment is vary much a modern take on the very first IPod marketing; talking about taking your whole musical library with you. But as far as concern for music it stops there.

As is my point......after 2011 the DAP landscape started to move beyond what was capable with Apple products. It’s just today the Touch appears as a holdover from old iPods in terms of music ability. As far as imaginative stuff for a kid who can’t afford an iPhone......it’s priceless opportunity; or should I say......a logical “cheap” opportunity.

They are really not focusing on sound quality.

Jun 4, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #30 of 118
To quote what I have said on my personal TwitterThe new iPod touch is an overpriced failed product, no high end DAC, no native DSD decoding, no balanced output, no line out, subpar amp circuitry... for what's supposed to be a DAP it's seriously lacking in 2019. Does Apple truly care about sound quality or audiophiles?

It’s not a failure. You’re just not the target audience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back