Sep 16, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #211 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowraboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Podcasts.

good or bad? (I'm new to ipod/itunes)

Sep 16, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #212 of 278
Good.

Easy to subscribe to & download.

I have smart playlists so I get one long podcast, one of each of short podcasts & one Mac podcast sync'ed to my iPod each day along with my music.

I couldn't imagine using a portable player without smart playlists.

Sep 16, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #213 of 278
I hadn't thought about podcasts. The ability to get those easily is cool, I must admit. I was more talking about its functions as a music organiser.

What I meant was that I can't find a reason that I'd want to use iTunes rather than just organising my files then using Winamp or something similar.

Sep 16, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #215 of 278
I'm extremely curious about transplanting the 160gb hard-drive into the 5.5G iPod. If anyone comes across any information about people trying this, please post immediately!

Sep 16, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #216 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by druelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm extremely curious about transplanting the 160gb hard-drive into the 5.5G iPod. If anyone comes across any information about people trying this, please post immediately!

...You can do it, easily...

Sep 16, 2007 at 11:35 AM Post #217 of 278
well I've made my mind up ... 5.5G going to be bought this afternoon and Classic going back ... because

(1) Sound quality (arguable)
(2) lack of 3rd party compatability (car radios, ipod camera connector etc etc)
(3) "laggy" interface reports
(4) lots of bugs (proabably these will get sorted) like apparently enhanced podcasts don't work properly etc ..

what do I miss out on if I get a 5.5G IPOD Video ? Apart from a bit less battery life- and not so fancy GUI ?

thanks guys, Mark.

Sep 16, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #219 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think iPod Classic with firmware update will sound worse than iMod anymore. vcap dock can improve both classic and iMod (I can't understand why caps will have effects for ones but not for another ones in electronical's principles). Of course iMod still sounds better but just little better if you have good enough amplifier.

The Caps in the 5.5G iMod are necessary for it to function properly/safely, due to the way the iMod modification works. In the Classic using extra caps is completely unnecessary, and as such, would only color the sound. This does not mean that the sound won't be "better" when using the Classic with the 6G - it's possible it might, but it would just be a happy accident.

Sep 16, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #220 of 278
Probably something everybody already knows, if so sorry. I found this this morning at iPodLounge...

"iPod classic tests reveal audio problems

Newly released audio measurements comparing the iPod classic to a fifth-generation iPod suggest problems with the newer iPod’s Cirrus Logic audio codec. Having initiated a discussion in Apple’s iPod classic forums, Marc Heijligers writes, “The measurements show is that the iPod Classic indeed has an uplift in treble, and its timing response is incorrect.” According to Heijigers, the new Cirrus Logic audio codec chip, which Roth Capital’s Jay Srivatsa says has replaced a chip from Wolfson Microelectronics inside the iPod classic, misaligns the arrival of treble detail relative to mids and bass, causing audio from the classic to lack “spatial information and a certain timbre.” Heijligers suggests that Apple may be able to fix the problem through a firmware update."

Sep 16, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #221 of 278
I finally gave one of these a go in the Apple store today. It looks gorgeous, sleeker than the 5.5g and feels great. But the controls are much slower and coverflow was quite sluggish even though the unit had only 250 songs on. There was substantial lag when going into coverflow as well. Didn't check to see if the latest update was in place but even then, it was too unresponsive for my liking
plainface.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #222 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably something everybody already knows, if so sorry. I found this this morning at iPodLounge...

"iPod classic tests reveal audio problems

Newly released audio measurements comparing the iPod classic to a fifth-generation iPod suggest problems with the newer iPod’s Cirrus Logic audio codec. Having initiated a discussion in Apple’s iPod classic forums, Marc Heijligers writes, “The measurements show is that the iPod Classic indeed has an uplift in treble, and its timing response is incorrect.” According to Heijigers, the new Cirrus Logic audio codec chip, which Roth Capital’s Jay Srivatsa says has replaced a chip from Wolfson Microelectronics inside the iPod classic, misaligns the arrival of treble detail relative to mids and bass, causing audio from the classic to lack “spatial information and a certain timbre.” Heijligers suggests that Apple may be able to fix the problem through a firmware update."

I haven't been following this terribly closely, but you know what the problem with this is? We're hearing the same thing from multiple sources that seem to be the same person - Marc. He's the only one so far to have published measurements that are the basis for all of the discussion, here on Head-Fi and on iLounge, on the Apple Discussion forums -- it's all the same person.

It's a good conversation to have, and I don't really have any good reason to doubt his measurements, but n still equals one here, folks. I'd love to see Headroom, RWA, or ALO do some independent measurements and publish them as well.

Additionally, for every person who said it sounds great pre-measurements, you can find someone who's not going to buy it post-measurements, which to me sounds like a huge case of perautreaurisitis (a.k.a. notlisteningforyourselfitis).

While this is not always possible, and measurements can be informative, the sharp shift in reports pre- and post- enlightenment is kind of amusing if not indicative of a greater problem in this hobby, of which plenty seem to be aware.

Sep 16, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #223 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finally gave one of these a go in the Apple store today. It looks gorgeous, sleeker than the 5.5g and feels great. But the controls are much slower and coverflow was quite sluggish even though the unit had only 250 songs on. There was substantial lag when going into coverflow as well. Didn't check to see if the latest update was in place but even then, it was too unresponsive for my liking
plainface.gif

Hmmm, mine is anything but slower than the 5.5 Gen it replaced. Not sure what the deal was, but I've got 6,399 lossless tracks from wave on mine, and it's quite nimble and quick.

Sep 16, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #224 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, mine is anything but slower than the 5.5 Gen it replaced. Not sure what the deal was, but I've got 6,399 lossless tracks from wave on mine, and it's quite nimble and quick.

perhaps he hast just too big covers embedded which slow the machine down
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #225 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Milk and Coffee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
perhaps he hast just too big covers embedded which slow the machine down
wink.gif

I bought an 80 GB classic and I am very happy with the SQ, but I agree that the clickwheel is a little sluggish. I applied firmware update 1.01 and it helped a little, but its still nowhere near as fluid as my old 4th gen iMod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back