smily_headphones1.gif

thanks, Mark.

Sep 16, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #227 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how does the SQ compare to your 4th gen IMOD please
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks, Mark.

The SQ of the classic is really good. I think that other thread about the "serious flaws" is a bunch of shinanigans. I compared the following 3 set-ups:
  1. 6G classic headphone out -> triple.fi 10 pros
  2. 4G iMod -> ALO Cryo X Silver "Rap Around" -> RSA Tomahawk -> Triple.fi 10 pros
  3. 6G classic line out -> ALO Cryo Micro Dock -> RSA Tomahawk -> Triple.fi 10 pros

How do they compare, you ask. Well, maybe I just have bad ears or something, but I couldn't differentiate between the 3 set-ups at all. The volume control precision of the Tomahawk simply can't be matched by the classic's sluggish clickwheel, but the SQ of all 3 setups is really good.

I think that the iPod Classic is going to cause a real culture shift here in the head-fi community. I think for the first time, people are going to start deciding for themselves whether *they* can detect SQ differences between products at opposite ends of the pricepoint spectrum.

I saw a post a few days ago (in this thread) from a very well respected head-fi'er who was talking about the SQ from the line out of the 6G. When someone responded asking him to comment on the SQ from the headphone out, his response was this:
"I'm not the right person for that. I never use the iPod headphone outputs. My 4G iMods don't even HAVE headphone outs anymore So I am not a good person to judge. I'm sure I'll say 'it sounds like crap', since the line out going into any of my headphone amps sounds far better."

This response really made me start thinking...Its almost like Wolfgang Puck saying that he cannot comment on the taste of a funnel cake from a street vendor because *he* doesn't eat food from street vendors and it would surely taste like crap.

I can actually sympathize with this point of view though...I mean for the past 2 years, I have been lugging around my portable rig telling all my friends how my rig sounds WAY better than the headphone out of an iPod - and at the time it did. The 4G iMod sounds better than the lineout or HP out of a stock 4G iPod. When I compared my 4G iMod to the HP out of a 5.5G stock iPod, I couldn't tell a big difference between the two, but I wasn't ready to admit that to myself yet. Well, here I am now admiting that for my ears, the iPod classic sounds good enough for me....for now that is
blink.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #229 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by YoungClayB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought an 80 GB classic and I am very happy with the SQ, but I agree that the clickwheel is a little sluggish. I applied firmware update 1.01 and it helped a little, but its still nowhere near as fluid as my old 4th gen iMod.

Yeah, it felt like I had to move from 12 o'clock all the way to 2 o'clock just to move by one song/option. The 5.5g is much more sensitive.

Sep 17, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #230 of 278
I have the 160gb classic. I have the current update. Today was the first day I used it for more than a few minutes.

1) the songs pause about 75% of the time once during a song...sometimes twice if the song is long.

2) the screensaver feature stinks. is there a way to remove it? i really don't need to see a right facing triangle to let me know the music is playing and if i needed the time, well, i'd look somewhere else.

3) i don't like the split screen. is there a way to disable this? i haven't seen it yet. I don't need album art. I find it simple enough to find all my music by artist or genre or album name, whatever i happen to be in the mood for.

4) the menus lags and upon selecting a song often times it lags significantly.

and positive....

1) I think it's a slick design
2) the new screen is very nice
3) the sound quality is quite satisfactory. I find it on par with my 2nd gen nano or 5.0G video ipod.

Sep 17, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #231 of 278
An update to my rant about battery life. As others mentioned, it took a couple of charge cycles but the battery life now seems to be as-advertised. Had a long road trip this weekend, and after 7 solid hours of listening the battery bar had only dropped about two ticks to maybe 75% battery life remaining.

Also, Apple released a software update for the Classics this weekend. I'm not sure if it affects the Nano's too. Check it out. It made a decent difference in the menu responses on my Classic. With f/w 1.0.0, my menus were sluggish and coverflow took many seconds to load the art while constantly pausing while I flipped through it. It also seemed just about impossible to get the 'quick-scanning alphabet' letters to pop up when scrolling through artists or albums. I was a bit dissapointed but thought that was just the price of the new fancy graphics.

With 1.0.1, menu & scroll operations are much smoother now. It's still not perfect, but a nice improvement. The scroll wheel seems more accurate and easier to use now, and menus pop up almost instantly now, much more like my 5G. Cover flow is mostly smooth and almost seamless now. Those scrolling alphabet letters pop up quickly and consistently now. The afore-mentioned battery life is with the 1.0.1 update, so battery life is still great.

For the record, I've never had any problems with skipping music, even while listening to long tracks and agressively scanning through coverflow. 80GB Classic, black, with about 25GB of music consisting of 192-320kbs static and VBR MP3's plus a few lossless AAC albums.

All of my listening this weekend (16+ hours) was done via ALO Bling Bling dock connected to the aux-in jack of my Saab, and it sounded fantastic. I'm very happy with the sound quality.

Sep 17, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #233 of 278
Does anyone know if the 6G 160gb will fit securely in an iTank for the 5G/5.5G 60/80gb models?

Sep 17, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #234 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFaust /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know if the 6G 160gb will fit securely in an iTank for the 5G/5.5G 60/80gb models?

yotank are currently developing a case for the 6g. shouldnt be too long. you can always send them an email to ask.

Sep 17, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #235 of 278
well after a bit of listening I can confirm the 6G sounds great
smily_headphones1.gif

possibly slightly bright/metallic for my liking in some places - but I'm sure 99.9% of that is placebo after reading the threads on here
smily_headphones1.gif

classical sounds sublime
smily_headphones1.gif
- soundstaging and in-particular bass is better than anything I've heard before on a portable, and I've owned the following Iriver IHP-120, IPOD Photo, Samsung Z5 (still have this) and Sony 705-F (still have this)

currently listening via PX100 headphones

what surprises me most is how "open" it sounds - like a veil has been removed vs the other players I've listened to

Mark.

Sep 17, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #238 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFaust /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes. My 160GB is currently snuggly in the iTank I bought for the 60GB 5 G. Fits as well as the 5G did, which is to say a little fiddling was needed to get it so that my turbodock will fit nicely, but it wasn't too hard to do. Now it's in there and I don't imagine it'll be coming out much.

Sep 17, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #239 of 278
Mr Fedex just delivered my 160. I'll be spending the day filling it with video. This is going to be my dedicated video iPod.

See ya
Steve

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #240 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. My 160GB is currently snuggly in the iTank I bought for the 60GB 5 G. Fits as well as the 5G did, which is to say a little fiddling was needed to get it so that my turbodock will fit nicely, but it wasn't too hard to do. Now it's in there and I don't imagine it'll be coming out much.

Thank you. I really didn't want to take a $50 loss to sell this one and buy another one later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back