iPod Classic!
Sep 22, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #272 of 278
You're joking, right? There have been a zillion threads on Head-fi discussing the sound quality of the Classic. Just look around
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #273 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by joakim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so.... 14 threads and noone says anything about the soundquality?
How is the quality if you compare the classic with the 5g video?

Skylab is correct. I have been regularly following a couple of discussions on the iPod Classic's sound quality. This one has been the most technical...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=259258

Sep 22, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #274 of 278
In short. The responses to sound quality around these parts have been something a little bit like:

Person 1. Much better sounding than my 5th!

Person 2. What, there is this little change at the top of the charts. TOO MUCH TREBLE!

Person 3. My 5th gen sounded much better than this!

Person 4. Its cold and fatiguing! The _______ sounds a lot better than this.

My recent visit to the Apple store left me feeling like Cupertino hasnt done too well with this gen's sound quality....

...at any rate, search out the responses on sound quality, trust me, they are there.

Sep 22, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #275 of 278
ROFL! Nearly everybody is talking different on the 6gen SQ...
As result there is no right word in this topic and any recommendation is hardly valuable... sadly.

IMO 6gen classic is a noticeable step forwards with my senn hd25-I in comparison to 5gen iPod. 5gen sounds somehow thin and weakish in the lower end.

Sep 23, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #276 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can use winamp 5.5 with the new Nanos and the Classics. The only thing that doesn't work with winamp, at the moment, is the Album Art. I'm sure that will be fixed very soon.

Does winamp really work with the Classics? I thought they don't take music from anything other than iTunes? Thanks

Sep 24, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #278 of 278
MP3 files of (basically) all bit rates are playable and managed by iTunes and your iPod. No conversion is necessary. The vast majority of my collection is kept in 192-320kbs MP3's, simply because I want the ability to access my music on other devices (Tivo, WiFi A/V receiver, etc). Your files should not be re-encoded nor molested in any way. The only (common) audio files that do require a conversion would be OGG and WMA files. I have never dealt with OGG files, so I can't comment. But I had a handful of WMA files, and iTunes will convert these (it'll ask first) if you manually add them to iTunes and they're not protected WMA files.

By default, iTunes should be set up to not rearrange your folders. And yes, if you check the above mentioned box it will automatically manage for them. I had spent years with a carefully and manually manged folder structure because of my iRiver H-120, and kept it up well after purchasing my first iPod simply because I had put so much time and effort into keeping it managed. One day I just got tired of it and flipped the checkboxes to allow iTunes to copy & manage all of it, and haven't looked back since. In browsing the folders post-iTunes management, it does create a bit of a mess of CD's by multiple artists, but otherwise the structure is fairly meaningful Artist->Album->Tracks.

I don't want to bother managing it myself since iTunes does a fine job for me, but for those that do want to keep their structures, iTunes will obey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back