Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jan 31, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #2,086 of 3,645
Quote:
Battery 30%
Plugged it in PC , went up to 98 in 10 minutes !.
Upgraded RB, disconnected from PC, rebooted RB and dropped to 71% (from 98 that was showing while plugged in)
Maybe PC-USB connection does not charge properly like USB charger does.

that's strange im not sure. I've always had great battery life with me and any build I've used recently.

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #2,087 of 3,645
This is kind of a last resort, and sorry if this has been discussed already (too many pages to read) I have a 7th gen ipod that i have rockbox on with emcore r859 boot loader. Im trying to go back to the apple software and I have tried to delete it every possible way I could find and won't work. Yes I already connected it, held select and menu for 12 seconds. But itunes constantly tells me an Ipod has been detected but could not be identified properly Please disconnect and reconnect the iPod and try again The required file could not be found. I've tried everything from changing the drive letter, disconnecting, reconnecting, rebooting my pc, un hooking all of my usb devices and trying again no matter what I do I keep getting the same message in iTunes, I tried flipping the hold switch while it booted with nothing, I tried deleting all rockbox files and reconnecting and get the same message.The only thing I haven't done was reformat (which I know has to be done in what i still consider DOS) but dont want to do unless its an absolute last resort because of the amount of time it will take. 

Feb 1, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #2,088 of 3,645
Quote:
[...] But itunes constantly tells me an Ipod has been detected but could not be identified properly Please disconnect and reconnect the iPod and try again The required file could not be found. [...]

You could check if your iTunes actually has access to the internet. It needs to download some files in order to restore the iPod.

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #2,091 of 3,645
Quote:
This is kind of a last resort, and sorry if this has been discussed already (too many pages to read) I have a 7th gen ipod that i have rockbox on with emcore r859 boot loader. Im trying to go back to the apple software and I have tried to delete it every possible way I could find and won't work. Yes I already connected it, held select and menu for 12 seconds. But itunes constantly tells me an Ipod has been detected but could not be identified properly Please disconnect and reconnect the iPod and try again The required file could not be found. I've tried everything from changing the drive letter, disconnecting, reconnecting, rebooting my pc, un hooking all of my usb devices and trying again no matter what I do I keep getting the same message in iTunes, I tried flipping the hold switch while it booted with nothing, I tried deleting all rockbox files and reconnecting and get the same message.The only thing I haven't done was reformat (which I know has to be done in what i still consider DOS) but dont want to do unless its an absolute last resort because of the amount of time it will take. 

Tried this?
"http://www.freemyipod.org/wiki/EmCORE_Uninstallation"

Doing a wipe of the classic seems to be inevitable.  However I would of thought most of the data would of been wiped on installing it no?

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #2,092 of 3,645
Feb 1, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #2,094 of 3,645
Quote:
yea but isn't it different how rockbox would work on a 3rd gen and 7th gen?

When they call it the 3rd gen Classic, that's because they weren't called "Classic" until 2007, when the options were 80 or 160GB (6th gen) model came out. Next up in 2008 came the 120GB model, and then in late 2009 the model you have came.... the 3rd version of the Classic.  In terms of Apple hard-drive-based players historically, it is the 7th generation.

Feb 1, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #2,095 of 3,645
Quote:
 When they call it the 3rd gen Classic, that's because they weren't called "Classic" until 2007, when the options were 80 or 160GB (6th gen) model came out. Next up in 2008 came the 120GB model, and then in late 2009 the model you have came.... the 3rd version of the Classic.  In terms of Apple hard-drive-based players historically, it is the 7th generation.

Thanks, I had to read it three times but thanks I get it out. After reading it only once I felt very very confused

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #2,097 of 3,645
Quote:
Trying to uninstall from a 6th gen 80GB.  The iPod goes black and the hard drive stops spinning but iTunes does nothing.  Any ideas?

I had the same problem, just follow the these steps, might take a couple of tries. 
  • Connect your iPod to your computer using the USB cable (important, otherwise it won't work)
  • Press and hold the menu and select buttons for between 10 and 15 seconds - click here for a how-to video (The iPod starts to reboot after about 5 seconds, keep holding the buttons until it seems to turn off completely). The display of your iPod should now stay black, and a new USB device called "USB DFU Device" should connect to your PC.
  • Restore using iTunes

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #2,098 of 3,645
Quote:
Tried this?
"http://www.freemyipod.org/wiki/EmCORE_Uninstallation"

Doing a wipe of the classic seems to be inevitable.  However I would of thought most of the data would of been wiped on installing it no?

Yea, the only time iTunes recognizes it is in DFU mode but wont show up in "My Computer" unless its in USB mode in Rockbox, as in wiping yea i believe (if im on the same page as you) it does when you use that bootloader, cause obviously it wont revert as easy as some of the more "stable" classic builds.

I definitely have internet connection for itunes I posted my original post after i tried.

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #2,099 of 3,645
Quote:
Yea, the only time iTunes recognizes it is in DFU mode but wont show up in "My Computer" unless its in USB mode in Rockbox, as in wiping yea i believe (if im on the same page as you) it does when you use that bootloader, cause obviously it wont revert as easy as some of the more "stable" classic builds.

I definitely have internet connection for itunes I posted my original post after i tried.

If you follow the instructions closely there's no need to make it show up in 'My Computer'. Just into DFU and iTunes will tell you it needs to be restored.
And by internet access I didn't mean your computer in general, but if there's a firewall preventing iTunes to access it. Re-read the first post of this topic, can be helpful :wink:

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #2,100 of 3,645
I got it, its an iTunes issue (and the only thing I didn't try), I kept reading issues restoring iPod classics after iTunes 10.5, I downloaded iTunes 10.0 on my wifes laptop plugged in my iPod and that did it...Thank you all for helping

Users who are viewing this thread

Back