Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jan 25, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #2,071 of 3,645
I usually recommend that people use the official build, since its pretty much by definition more up to date.  With regards to the classic, at the moment theres really only one person working on the port and he just commits directly to rockbox git, so you likely won't find much different in terms of sound, except maybe things like extra EQ bands.  

Cool. Thanks for the response.

Jan 27, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #2,072 of 3,645
I'm wondering if something like this will work with rockboxed Ipods?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PURE-Powered-Universal-Remote-Control/dp/B001HBIXSW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359284967&sr=8-1

The docking part should work, but since there are also remote functions.. I'm thinking this would require the official apple firmware? :frowning2: Would be nice to be able to dock the Ipod in a cradle hooked up to the home cinema set, playing a predefined playlist (or shuffling it) at parties. :p

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #2,073 of 3,645
Quote:
I'm wondering if something like this will work with rockboxed Ipods?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PURE-Powered-Universal-Remote-Control/dp/B001HBIXSW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359284967&sr=8-1

The docking part should work, but since there are also remote functions.. I'm thinking this would require the official apple firmware? :frowning2: Would be nice to be able to dock the Ipod in a cradle hooked up to the home cinema set, playing a predefined playlist (or shuffling it) at parties. :p

I'm almost positive the remote would only work with the Apple firmware.

Jan 27, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #2,074 of 3,645
Is there any chance that a 'rockboxed' Ipod 6G will ever work with my car's audio system?

In two cars, different makes of audio system with inbuilt IPod support, my 6G with rockbox is never recognised when used as an Ipod (with the manufacturers IPod cable). I kind of expected that.

I would have been happy to get away with just having it in USB disk mode (both cars also have USB support) but if I connect it when in the boot menu I get 'no files found' and when I connect with Rockbox booted I get the USB mode displayed for a while on the iPod then Rockbox goes back its menu but locks up and I have to reboot with Menu+Select.

I initially thought it might be something to do with the 'superfloppy' disk layout but creating a partition and installing Rockbox on that makes no difference.

Both cars work fine with a USB flash drive and I've tried various recent versions of Rockbox; they all behave the same.

Any ideas?

Jan 27, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #2,075 of 3,645
Quote:
Is there any chance that a 'rockboxed' Ipod 6G will ever work with my car's audio system?

In two cars, different makes of audio system with inbuilt IPod support, my 6G with rockbox is never recognised when used as an Ipod (with the manufacturers IPod cable). I kind of expected that.

If they use digital out over USB, then no.  Apple encrypts that, and their keys have never been discovered, so its probably impossible to ever do that.  

Both cars work fine with a USB flash drive and I've tried various recent versions of Rockbox; they all behave the same.

Any ideas?

It probably checks the USB PID to see if the device is an iPod.  Can you compile a build?  If so, you can edit this file:

Code:
 firmware/export/config/ipod6g.h

and change USB_PRODUCT_ID 0x1261 to some other random number (0x0001 might be safe). Then your player will not show up as an ipod, so it'll probably work as a USB flash drive.

Maybe a better solution is to just get a head unit with an AUX jack, or see if you can hack one up?

Jan 28, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #2,076 of 3,645
Is it just me or the newest firmware reacts a little bit slower than before? Or probably my music list is getting larger
frown.gif

I wonder when the rockbox on ipod can work as fast as the one in clip+.

Jan 28, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #2,078 of 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga /img/forum/go_quote.gif

<snip>
..and change USB_PRODUCT_ID 0x1261 to some other random number (0x0001 might be safe). Then your player will not show up as an ipod, so it'll probably work as a USB flash drive.

Maybe a better solution is to just get a head unit with an AUX jack, or see if you can hack one up?

Maybe i'm barking up the wrong tree here, but could't the issue be that the car radio expects the music in the root of the usb storage? I know some players don't like the music in a subfolder. Perhaps the .music folder is giving the radio problems, you could try putting some mp3's in the root of the Ipod mount to see if these get recognised to rule this out.

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #2,079 of 3,645
Quote:
Maybe i'm barking up the wrong tree here, but could't the issue be that the car radio expects the music in the root of the usb storage? I know some players don't like the music in a subfolder. Perhaps the .music folder is giving the radio problems, you could try putting some mp3's in the root of the Ipod mount to see if these get recognised to rule this out.

Don't think that's the issue as with a USB Flash drive I can navigate around the filesystem via the car's interface and have the files organised in a filesystem that makes sense to me; one reason I use Rockbox and not the standard software :)

I have tried saratoga's suggestion of recompiling with a different USB_PRODUCT_ID and when connected to a computer it shows up as

Bus 001 Device 011: ID 0001:0001 Fry's Electronics

(I also change the USB_VENDOR_ID just to make sure). I used the stock source code from git.

Sadly my IPod does exactly the same thing as before when connected to the car's USB port - displays the USB screen, then after a few seconds returns to the Rockbox menu and locks solid needing a MENU+SELECT reboot.

The car's audio system (both cars one with a Kenwood and an OEM Jaguar) must be doing something on the USB that sends Rockbox into a tail spin. FWIW, I have zero problems using the Rockboxed iPod in USB mode when connected to my computer.

Other suggestions as to how to get it working in USB mode greatfully received (I'm happy to recompile, enable options, capture logs etc).

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #2,080 of 3,645
Hello, Head-Fi community.  I decided to get an account after I saw this thread.

Now, I know that you need emCORE to install RockBox on the Classic 7G.  However, concerning the available builds for the Classic, is it better I go for the RockBox Daily build or aroldan's modded build?  And if aroldan's, are the patches already integrated with his latest build?

Additionally, I keep seeing that I'm going to need the album art as a seperate file in the folder.  Does that mean that RockBox can't read embedded album art?

Finally, I do have foobar, but I don't plan on using it as a regular media player for my FLAC files (I'll still use it for ReplayGain, since I can use its' preamp), so what player would you recommend other than Winamp?  And in that case, should I get rid of iTunes and all of my ALAC files altogether?

Thank you for the help, and I hope to see a quick response.

Per Laborem ad Astra,
JbstormburstADV

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #2,081 of 3,645
I would go with one of aroldans latest builds.  Ive used them for months now and its been flawless.  You only need worry about the .rockbox folder, the patches are included and the other patch zip folders are for reference only.

My allbum art displayed from the begining.  I dont know if this is because i came from itunes with my ipod HD filled with the files or what.  I simply initiated the data base after the rockbox install and all my files that were there prior to rockbox were still there and all my album art displayed fine.   

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #2,082 of 3,645
Quote:
Hi there
I'm a new member of the forum.
I've recently (4 days ago) RBed my IPOD classic 160GB (2009 thin model)
Using  emCORE r859 and aroldan's latest build https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5xbw6cp4ikfxwn/MjELjmDNJ_
First I got a full backup of all ipod contents , then deleted everything and finally installed emcore and RB.
Everything went fine with the installation.
Then I transfered all my music back (~ 2000 mp3 tracks , fully tagged and classified into seperate folders per artist/album) into a new folder.
Disconnected and booted into RB which started to scan my tracks and building up it's database.
Ipod was fully charged at that time.
I got 2 isuues :
1.Battery
While the above process was going on, my ipod was unplugged from any charger.
I noticed that battery was droppimg down fastly but did not give it any attention at first.
Finally IPOD battery drained and RB shut down automatically before completing it's database initialization.
I plugged it in , let it charge for a while and (while plugged) restarted the database process.
Finally Database was complete , although I noticed that (while database initialization) even with the charger plugged in the battery was dropping down instead of going up.
I'm using (just listening to music, and not adding new tracks or updating database) it for the past 4 days and have noticed that battery does not last very long.
I haven't exactly measured how much it lasts but it is dropping from 98% to 60% within 2-3 hours of play which means that it will last about 8 hours.
Let me say here , that with the original firmware my ipod could easily last about 20 hours.
I decided to change RB version and I'm now using one of the latest official builds, but no luck with the battery issue.

I read in the rockbox forum that RB for IPOD classic is still in experimental status and that other users are also having battery problems.

2. Wake-up alarm
I was very dissapointed to realize that there is no Wake-up alarm function like the original's Apple firmware.
I guess it has to do with the emcore.

Other than that i'm completly satisfied and thrilled with RockBox and do not intend to go back to original software although if battery issue is not solved I will be forced to revert to Apple software.

Any help would be welcome.
Thanks

OK I'm coming back with the battery issue.
I'm pretty sure that battery indication is not reliable.
I've been monitoring battery drain and it goes from 95% to 30% in 6 hours play. I'm pretty sure that with original firmware and same use it wouldn't  go lower that 70%.
Today I've plugged IPOD in PC and battery charged from 30 to 98 in less that 10 minutes !!!.
All those things in my opinion  mean 1 of the following 3 :
1.Battery indication is totally unreliable.
2.Battery has become bad after the first time RB built its database and totally drained battery.
3.RB uses far more battery that original firmware and (possibly) also charges much faster that original firmware.

I doudt it's #3 . Maybe it's a combination of the first 2.
I'm really too lazy to revert to original firmware so that i can eliminate or confirm any of the above !

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #2,085 of 3,645
Battery 30%
Plugged it in PC , went up to 98 in 10 minutes !.
Upgraded RB, disconnected from PC, rebooted RB and dropped to 71% (from 98 that was showing while plugged in)
Maybe PC-USB connection does not charge properly like USB charger does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back