Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jan 21, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #2,057 of 3,645
Hey guys

I got a problem with the installation of rockbox at my 7th generation Ipod.
I just installed EmCore and it works fine. But now I can't save the .rockbox folder to the root directory of my ipod, because the file system of the formatted hdd seems to be "read only". At first I thought it's because my old OS (WindowsXP) was not able to handle this file system, so I tried Ubuntu and Windows7 but I was still not able to save the folder to the root directory. Then I tried to format the hdd to fat32 but it failed too.
And now another problem occured, because Itunes can not reset the Ipod any more due to a strange error (error 1439).

I hope you can help me

steveace

Jan 22, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #2,058 of 3,645
I'm at a loss actually why you would try to format a filesystem when something goes wrong like this..
confused.gif

I mean, you are FLASHING your Ipod, and not following the instructions to the letter might cause you to brick the Ipod permanently, which might have just happened. If i google the error you are getting now i find a LOT of hits. Anything (hopefully less evasive) you've already tried to overcome the error?

You mention you've tried other OS'ses, but don't mention if you also switched PC's. If you did, have you tried installing Itunes on another PC and trying to revert to OF using that pc?

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #2,059 of 3,645
Quote:

I hope you can help me

If your EmCORE still works like it should, choose 'reformat data partition' in the boot menu.
After this, choose 'run Rockbox fallback image' and when that's done booting connect to your computer.
It should be able to both read and write, so you can copy a newer rockbox version.

Edit: if that doesn't work, you could update your EmCORE version to r862, the log says the following: Fix a rather obvious FAT directory creation bug. Check the first post for instructions. Although their website isn't working here at the moment, PM me if you want me to send it to you.

The great thing about newer EmCORE versions is that they have these options, which makes bricking the player quite difficult :)

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #2,060 of 3,645
Quote:
If your EmCORE still works like it should, choose 'reformat data partition' in the boot menu.
After this, choose 'run Rockbox fallback image' and when that's done booting connect to your computer.
It should be able to both read and write, so you can copy a newer rockbox version.

I already tried ihts but there is still no access.

Quote:
if that doesn't work, you could update your EmCORE version to r862, the log says the following: Fix a rather obvious FAT directory creation bug. Check the first post for instructions. Although their website isn't working here at the moment, PM me if you want me to send it to you.

Im currently using this r859 Version. I didn't find any newer version. It would be great, if you could send it to me. I'll write you a PM regarding this :wink:

steveace

Jan 22, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #2,061 of 3,645
I'm really tempted to put this back on the ipod, but would need to get a separate usb hard drive to do this (both drives I have are mac only).  Can someone answer if the m4b files are playable in rockbox yet?  That was the other issue I had.

I hate the new itunes with a passion.

Cheers

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #2,063 of 3,645
Quote:
I'm really tempted to put this back on the ipod, but would need to get a separate usb hard drive to do this (both drives I have are mac only).  Can someone answer if the m4b files are playable in rockbox yet?  That was the other issue I had.

I hate the new itunes with a passion.

Cheers

M4B has always been supported, at least assuming you mean AAC audio.  M4B is just a renamed MP4 file.  

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #2,068 of 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by r100 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don't fix it if it ain't broken :wink: But honestly, on three different Classics I've never seen anything go wrong with r868.

Well while I am using r859, my battery drains pretty quickly after 40%, so I'm seeing if updating EmCore fixes that.

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #2,069 of 3,645
A lot of pages to read though here...

I want to ask a question - I have a 6G and 7G (never even used the apple firmware on the 7G just 'boxed it fresh off the bat) Anyway, I just rockboxed them both, great stuff. ( I have been using RB on my 5.5G and Clip zip for some time)

Is there a preferred build which I should be using, of EmCore or Rockbox, and of the available builds is there any effect on sound quality or other functions? 

Thanks

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #2,070 of 3,645
Quote:
A lot of pages to read though here...

I want to ask a question - I have a 6G and 7G (never even used the apple firmware on the 7G just 'boxed it fresh off the bat) Anyway, I just rockboxed them both, great stuff. ( I have been using RB on my 5.5G and Clip zip for some time)

Is there a preferred build which I should be using, of EmCore or Rockbox, and of the available builds is there any effect on sound quality or other functions? 

Thanks

I usually recommend that people use the official build, since its pretty much by definition more up to date.  With regards to the classic, at the moment theres really only one person working on the port and he just commits directly to rockbox git, so you likely won't find much different in terms of sound, except maybe things like extra EQ bands.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back