Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Feb 4, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #2,116 of 3,645
Hello, I am new to Freemyipod. I try to get Rockbox on an Ipod Classic (2009) of a friend  of mine who lives abroad, and I don't have one myself, so I am doing it in the blind.
My problem is Apple Recovery (DFU) USB Driver doesn't install in Windows XP. The first time I did the procedure, XP showed an installation error. After that I attempted several times to get it installed but nothing happened, the installation procedure doesn't start.

With the Ipod connected, when I press and hold the menu and select buttons, after 5 seconds a very faint grey Apple logo appears, the screen goes dark and that's it. When I do the same procedure with the Ipod not connected, after 5 seconds a clear blue Apple logo appears, before going dark and at the end I hear clearly a click. Maybe it is better to do this part of the procedure before connecting the Ipod to the computer ?

The computer is a Lenovo netbook with 32 bit XP Pro installed. Can you help me ?

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #2,117 of 3,645
Quote:
Personally I've never managed to install or uninstall emCORE from Windows 7. There's always some driver conflict / shenanigan.

I installed the emCORE to 7G from DELL Studio XPS running Win 7 without any problem.

Hey guys, is there any way the 30 sec waiting time can be bypassed from the boot menu and it goes to Rockbox directly?

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #2,118 of 3,645
Quote:
I installed the emCORE to 7G from DELL Studio XPS running Win 7 without any problem.

Hey guys, is there any way the 30 sec waiting time can be bypassed from the boot menu and it goes to Rockbox directly?

Boot in the snow menu then go to tools > settings > fastboot action > and choose rockbox (or else)
If you want to come back and re-enable the defaut boot to the snow menu you just have to power off your ipod then power on and quickly after you keep cliking the central button of the ipod until you can see the snow menu :)

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #2,119 of 3,645
Quote:
Hello, I am new to Freemyipod. I try to get Rockbox on an Ipod Classic (2009) of a friend  of mine who lives abroad, and I don't have one myself, so I am doing it in the blind.
My problem is Apple Recovery (DFU) USB Driver doesn't install in Windows XP. The first time I did the procedure, XP showed an installation error. After that I attempted several times to get it installed but nothing happened, the installation procedure doesn't start.

With the Ipod connected, when I press and hold the menu and select buttons, after 5 seconds a very faint grey Apple logo appears, the screen goes dark and that's it. When I do the same procedure with the Ipod not connected, after 5 seconds a clear blue Apple logo appears, before going dark and at the end I hear clearly a click. Maybe it is better to do this part of the procedure before connecting the Ipod to the computer ?

The computer is a Lenovo netbook with 32 bit XP Pro installed. Can you help me ?

Have you read the first post and followed the manual on freemyipod step by step? So you have admin rights in XP, antivirus off, apple services killed, usb cable directly connected? The click you hear is supposed to happen, after that you can execute the bootstrap. If this gives an error probably one of the apple services is still running. Keep checking troughout the installation if 'iTunesHelper' or any other Apple related starts running again, stop them again if needed.

Quote:

Boot in the snow menu then go to tools > settings > fastboot action > and choose rockbox (or else)
If you want to come back and re-enable the defaut boot to the snow menu you just have to power off your ipod then power on and quickly after you keep cliking the central button of the ipod until you can see the snow menu :)

True, but I prefer to just hold the 'menu' button. This way you can't accidently select Rockbox when EmCORE has started :wink:

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #2,120 of 3,645
Quote:

Cool. Thanks for the tip. BTW, that snow background is very nice and pleasing to my eyes but I hate that blank white display just before that snow menu. Wish I could get rid of that. :)

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #2,121 of 3,645
Thank you r100 for your reply, I think I overlooked the antivirus part, so I will try it again.  Only thing I am uncertain of is the click. I don't hear the click when executing the procedure with the Ipod connected, I do hear the click when I execute the procedure without connecting the Ipod. Again, I am doing it in the blind, my friend lives abroad, I help him by phone and Teamviewer. I will try it once again this way, when that doesn't help, I will do it myself when I am with him next March.

Thanks again for your help.

Feb 5, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #2,122 of 3,645
How long is the installation process typically?

Is there a video format of instructions?

I mostly want to use RB for FLAC & TTA files which is majority of what my library is made of.

are there any compatibility issues with this process with Windows 8 x64?

Feb 5, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #2,124 of 3,645
hopefully someone can help, i was using an Aroldans build was working perfectly fine for ages then i had a crash when i booted the ipod again it wouldnt play any music, just kept saying nothing to resume.

ive been paying around with it trying to get it to work but it aint happening, i can only get it to connect to the pc if im in rockbox and then itunes dosent pick it up.

i would like to restore back to factory setting using ituens and then starting again with a fresh install of rockbox, but when i press and hold the select and menu button it just keeps booting into emcore.

what can i do?

thanks

Feb 5, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #2,126 of 3,645
Quote:

Can you elaborate on the cause for the crash?

i cant really  cause i cant remember what it did, but i have just managed to get it sorted
managed to reinstall emcore and put the latest rockbox on from the link on page one, but i think the problem was with an app in the app folder in my ipod root directory, ive deleted it, everything seems to be working ok again now, pheew
tongue_smile.gif

the rockbox ive downloaded rockbox-ipod6g-9ca34caM-121124.zip on that same page theres a couple of patch files do i need them? also theres no instructions on what to do with them

Feb 5, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #2,129 of 3,645
while im here i wonder if someone could tell me the simple way to create playlists,

ive tried doing this several times and never get anywhere, ive read the instrctions but it seems far more complicated than it needs to be.

i would like to go to my libary pick  a few songs and add it to a playlist, this sounds like in the instructions creating a playlist catalouge, but when i choose playlist catalogue from the menu it just says no files,

if i go to a song press and hold the select button choose playlist catalogue then add to new playlist it seems to give me the option to name a new catalogue but no matter what i do it never seems to save.

seems very confusing

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #2,130 of 3,645
you go to your library and hover over a song and double click the circle on the iPod, that's how you add a song to a playlist but I don't know how to add multiple at one time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back