Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jul 29, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #1,171 of 3,645
I'm also on emCORE r859 (2012-01-02). How can I update my Classic to the latest version you guys are successfully using without messing things up? 
confused.gif

Jul 29, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #1,172 of 3,645
Quote:
I'm also on emCORE r859 (2012-01-02). How can I update my Classic to the latest version you guys are successfully using without messing things up? 
confused.gif

That's still the official current release. Since EmCORE works flawlessly on a Classic, i.e. it allows Rockbox to run, I personally see no good reason to upgrade to a beta.

Happy to be convinced otherwise though.

Jul 29, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #1,173 of 3,645
Quote:

That's still the official current release. Since EmCORE works flawlessly on a Classic, i.e. it allows Rockbox to run, I personally see no good reason to upgrade to a beta.

Happy to be convinced otherwise though.

Well, you're right for the most part, but aren't the new versions supposed to bring some improvements? It's been 7 months since that last official release... I'm trying to find change logs to sort that out! 
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #1,174 of 3,645
Quote:

Well, you're right for the most part, but aren't the new versions supposed to bring some improvements? It's been 7 months since that last official release... I'm trying to find change logs to sort that out! 
wink.gif

Take a look at this. It seems to me that the only important fix is for the Nano 2G.

The official EmCORE is stable. That is enough for me given its limited but key role.

Jul 29, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #1,175 of 3,645
Quote:
Excuse my computer ignorance, but isn't OS X built on a linux type system? So shouldn't it be fairly easy to create an installation process for emcore on OS X? I just don't understand how an iDevice can't be rockboxed on its native OS. 

I think the right way to express it is that both OS X and Linux are UNIX-derived operating-systems ..
(You could say they 'stole' it the same place :) )
Unlike Linux and the Open-Source community, apple aren't exactly famous for caring about user-freedom to do as you please .
So, since emCore/RockBox are open-source projects the developers probably don't feel the urge to support yet another closed platform .
They would probably prefer to not even have to deal with windows, if you asked them off-the-record ...

The SVN-releases of emCore are, as the warnings state, untested, and intended for experienced users .
That means there COULD be serious bugs, possibly even bugs that could ruin your hardware !
Normally, most people just ignore warnings like that, because we are so used to lawyer-talk ai9med at preventing law-suits,
but in the case of 3.party-firmware you probably should listen to the developers warnings and follow their advice/instruction .

Of course, if nobody ever tries the SVN-releases, it will take longer to identify and fix bugs, that's why some people choose to use them anyway ..

So, if everything is working fine .. Don't fix it :)

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #1,176 of 3,645
Quote:
The SVN-releases of emCore are, as the warnings state, untested, and intended for experienced users .
That means there COULD be serious bugs, possibly even bugs that could ruin your hardware !
Normally, most people just ignore warnings like that, because we are so used to lawyer-talk ai9med at preventing law-suits,
but in the case of 3.party-firmware you probably should listen to the developers warnings and follow their advice/instruction .

Of course, if nobody ever tries the SVN-releases, it will take longer to identify and fix bugs, that's why some people choose to use them anyway ..

So, if everything is working fine .. Don't fix it :)

Thanks, Words for the wise me thinks. I am a reasonably experienced Rockbox user but EmCORE... not so much. I'll stick with the stock.

Now if only they would create an EmCORE (or EmCORE-like) app for the iPhone so that we can run Rockbox on there....

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #1,178 of 3,645
Quote:

[...] It's been 7 months since that last official release...[...]

And it doesn't look like there will be coming EmCORE updates anytime soon, that's what I read at the IRC chat. But like others are also saying: it's working rocksolid already.

To anyone with knowledge of Rockbox: on a Rockboxed Video the iPod Radio Remote works. Would it be difficult to get this (maybe by using partly same code?) working on a Rockboxed Classic?

Jul 29, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #1,179 of 3,645
Well that experiment was short lived!  Just removed emcore and rockbox.  Nothing wrong with them just not for me sadly.   Main reason I'd bought the classic was to dump a load of audiobooks (which I have now done via itunes and what a pita that was to tag properly, main reason I wanted Rockbox for the Drag n Drop).  However for some reason rockbox would only play some .m4b files and not others (guess it has to do with how it was encoded originally).  I was at a half way house where I had some files tagged properly and not others, whilst I had some files that would play in rockbox fine (m4b and others) and others wouldn't.  Figuring it would take too long to identify and convert I decided to drop rockbox.

Cheers.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #1,181 of 3,645
Hello. Newbie here trying to play my FLAC music collection on a new (7G) iPOD Classic.

I'm not the most tech savvy, but I did read through this thread. Is it correct that I can install Rockbox with EmCORE and that will allow me to play my FLAC music files on my iPOD Classic?

Thank you.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #1,182 of 3,645
Quote:
So, since emCore/RockBox are open-source projects the developers probably don't feel the urge to support yet another closed platform .
They would probably prefer to not even have to deal with windows, if you asked them off-the-record ...

Its probably just that no one had a Mac handy to figure out how to get the code to build for it.  The long term plan was to avoid needing emcore anyway, and have a normal rockbox bootloader installed by rockbox utility.  

Well that experiment was short lived!  Just removed emcore and rockbox.  Nothing wrong with them just not for me sadly.   Main reason I'd bought the classic was to dump a load of audiobooks (which I have now done via itunes and what a pita that was to tag properly, main reason I wanted Rockbox for the Drag n Drop).  However for some reason rockbox would only play some .m4b files and not others (guess it has to do with how it was encoded originally).  I was at a half way house where I had some files tagged properly and not others, whilst I had some files that would play in rockbox fine (m4b and others) and others wouldn't.  Figuring it would take too long to identify and convert I decided to drop rockbox.

Cheers.

Do you have a link to an m4b file that doesn't play?  I'm curious whats inside it.  I thought they were always AAC.  

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #1,183 of 3,645
Quote:
Hello. Newbie here trying to play my FLAC music collection on a new (7G) iPOD Classic.

I'm not the most tech savvy, but I did read through this thread. Is it correct that I can install Rockbox with EmCORE and that will allow me to play my FLAC music files on my iPOD Classic?

Thank you.

Correct. You can play FLAC, APE, WAV files on this.

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #1,185 of 3,645
Anybody has any sugestion for a good portable amp + dac (they don't need to be compacted in one single device) that works with the rockboxed ipod classic? Thanks!

From my limited knowledge and experience, Rockbox on a Classic will not work with an external DAC. Your best bet is to use a Line Out connector to an amp of some sort. I'm considering an Fiio E11 or E17  as an entry level amp. I wouldnt be using the DAC on the E17, but I like the fact that it has digital volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back