Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Aug 2, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #1,202 of 3,645
Quote:

The one problem I have is the high midrange is harsh, whether EQ is on or off. And irrespective of headphones. An EQ cut somewhere between approx 9-23 kHz helps a *little*, but even with a narrow Q,  you still lose the music.
Comparing this with other players, eg. Samsung (and I had a HiFi-man too),  the midrange is just warmer.  Is it the Classic's DAC itself?
It can give a SERIOUS headache.

The output is spectrally flat, so with the EQ off you're getting the music as it was recorded as well as your headphones can reproduce it. 

The simple bass/treble controls seem less harsh than the 10-band EQ.

Funny you think that since the bass/treble controls use the EQ :) 

My guess is you're not using the EQ properly.  

Aug 2, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #1,204 of 3,645
Well I will just have to try it!

...although the last build is working so perfectly that I wonder why I temp fate.  
smile.gif

Thanks once again.

Aug 3, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #1,206 of 3,645
Quote:
The output is spectrally flat, so with the EQ off you're getting the music as it was recorded as well as your headphones can reproduce it. 

Funny you think that since the bass/treble controls use the EQ :) 
My guess is you're not using the EQ properly.  

thanks for replying!

I realise you won't believe me, 'cause I'm not presenting science as such, but I believe it's to do with FLAC playback on portable devices. Given that I had the same problem on my HiFiMan.  Other folks I know have (rather rashly) alleged the same thing with flac.
Now...I realise that's a bit contentious (and potentially innacurate),  but can software such as rockbox put its own flavour to the music?  Is it *really* "spectrally flat" ?
I find that hard to believe.
Every music player, with flat/disabled EQ etc etc sounds different on my PC.
Best thing about Rockbox of course was the EQ precut. Stopped all distortion.

So.
If I had the time, inclination, and the ability, I'd put Rockbox back on there, and compare the sound between ALAC and WAV and FLAC.
And for those that say "they're bit perfect copies PCM blah-blah",  I'm sure that different software/libraries decodes these formats,  and as such,  they're not equal.
Proving that is another matter.

All I know,  is that now I'm back with the OF,  and I've successfully copied my Replaygain tags to the (stupid) ItunNORM tags for some kind of volume normalisation,  the sound is less harsh in the high mids.  That's with ALAC instead of FLAC of course.

YMMV.

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #1,207 of 3,645
Quote:

thanks for replying!

I realise you won't believe me, 'cause I'm not presenting science as such, but I believe it's to do with FLAC playback on portable devices. Given that I had the same problem on my HiFiMan.  Other folks I know have (rather rashly) alleged the same thing with flac.
Now...I realise that's a bit contentious (and potentially innacurate),  but can software such as rockbox put its own flavour to the music?

Sure it can, thats what the EQ is for.  Turn it off though and you get bit per bit perfect audio passed to the DAC (at least for 44.1k audio <= 32 integer bits per sample).

Is it *really* "spectrally flat" ?

I find that hard to believe.

Its super easy to check, so if you don't believe me, grab RMAA and verify it yourself.

Usually this means you didn't volume match the individual players.  How precisely did you measure the level?

And for those that say "they're bit perfect copies PCM blah-blah",  I'm sure that different software/libraries decodes these formats,  and as such,  they're not equal.

No, they're both lossless formats, so the results are identical.  Since I wrote a lot of them, you can probably trust me on this one, but if you're skeptical, its very easy to verify.

I've successfully copied my Replaygain tags to the (stupid) ItunNORM tags for some kind of volume normalisation,  the sound is less harsh in the high mids.  That's with ALAC instead of FLAC of course.

Thats normal.  As you raise the volume, you will perceive bass as stronger and treble as weaker.  So any volume adjustment will tend to make one sound different to the other.  Hence the importance of carefully matching levels when testing audio.  

Aug 4, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #1,208 of 3,645
Quote:

Usually this means you didn't volume match the individual players.  How precisely did you measure the level?

What has your PC got to do with anything ?
IF you are connecting your music-player to a PC, you are not listening to the music-player !
You are hearing your PC's soundcard .

Aug 5, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #1,209 of 3,645
I found an issue with an album in a single FLAC file and .cue file. The album is just one large FLAC file and a .cue file with the indivual tracks... If I go through the file explorer in Rockbox and open the .cue file, I can "see" the invidual songs, but from the "databas"e, it seems RB is only adding the .flac file and not the .cue, so I can only listen to the large continuous file. Is there any way to solve this, so I can have the .cue shown in the "database"?

Thanks.

Aug 6, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #1,210 of 3,645
Quote:
I found an issue with an album in a single FLAC file and .cue file. The album is just one large FLAC file and a .cue file with the indivual tracks... If I go through the file explorer in Rockbox and open the .cue file, I can "see" the invidual songs, but from the "databas"e, it seems RB is only adding the .flac file and not the .cue, so I can only listen to the large continuous file. Is there any way to solve this, so I can have the .cue shown in the "database"?

Thanks.

I don't think so.  AFAIK cue files only work from the file browser.

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #1,211 of 3,645
Quote:
How common is this issue?  Can anyone else give their experiences?  Can you use external controls with a docked RockBox iPod or do you have to use the scroll wheel etc.?  Maybe it depends on the dock?

I've tried using my car dock and it basically goes into USB mode. Docked ipod is always in USB mode, I haven't found a way to get it out as of yet. Hopefully they will add controls for that in a future update. I must admit that I love the sound.

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #1,212 of 3,645
Quote:

I've tried using my car dock and it basically goes into USB mode. Docked ipod is always in USB mode, I haven't found a way to get it out as of yet. Hopefully they will add controls for that in a future update. I must admit that I love the sound.

I would donate $50 to get rockbox working on my VW's built in ipod controls. I wouldn't hold your breath though, it seems development is pretty slow.

Aug 7, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #1,213 of 3,645
I just see an interesting things of Rockbox in Mac
1)
In latest build
I can mount the Rockbox in Mac when the mac just start up!!(When Mac at boot up switch on the iPod and plug it in)
File can be copy into the iPod!!!!
But after a while i unmount and mount it again it will not works....
2)
In 120322 build i am able to mount it at Mac every time
3)
with out .rockbox folder, i am able to mount it at Mac every time

Is it useful data for the RB developer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back